Native 5 - the perfect pocket knife?

One thing I've noticed about my Native 5 Lwt is that the FRN handle scales feel somewhat harder than, say, on my Endura 4. I hadn't used my E4 for a while, and brought it out to use a bit today, and in comparison its FRN feels a bit 'softer', if that makes any sense. I like the feel of the Native 5's FRN better.

I find myself really liking the action on my Native 5 better, too. I don't always use the finger choil while actually cutting with it. I mostly put my index finger behind the slight 'guard' on the handle, giving the blade a bit more reach. But that choil sure comes in handy for safe, one-handed closing. A couple years ago, I foolishly/absentmindedly closed a Cold Steel Code 4 triad lock one-handed, and the blade swung onto the back of my index finger, causing a significant injury, requiring months of physical therapy. Since then, I've been VERY mindful when one-hand closing lockbacks. In fact, I had been 2-hand closing them since the accident, until this Native 5. Its choil, along with its precise action, is much safer to one-hand close than any other lockbacks I can think of (and I own a lot of them). Even so, I am still always mindful.

Jim

I've always appreciated the choil as being safer on my Native 5, but never told anyone how significant that feature is. Thanks for adding that to the discussion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

One thing I've noticed about my Native 5 Lwt is that the FRN handle scales feel somewhat harder than, say, on my Endura 4. I hadn't used my E4 for a while, and brought it out to use a bit today, and in comparison its FRN feels a bit 'softer', if that makes any sense. I like the feel of the Native 5's FRN better.

I find myself really liking the action on my Native 5 better, too. I don't always use the finger choil while actually cutting with it. I mostly put my index finger behind the slight 'guard' on the handle, giving the blade a bit more reach. But that choil sure comes in handy for safe, one-handed closing. A couple years ago, I foolishly/absentmindedly closed a Cold Steel Code 4 triad lock one-handed, and the blade swung onto the back of my index finger, causing a significant injury, requiring months of physical therapy. Since then, I've been VERY mindful when one-hand closing lockbacks. In fact, I had been 2-hand closing them since the accident, until this Native 5. Its choil, along with its precise action, is much safer to one-hand close than any other lockbacks I can think of (and I own a lot of them). Even so, I am still always mindful.

Jim

That is NOT the way to close a Spyderco! Ouch! With the Spyderco, there is no need to drop the blade onto your finger. That is a bad habit, as you found out. Instead, press the lock bar, with your index finger in the hole. Rotate the blade down, then turn the knife and either put your thumb or index finger on the spine and close the knife, or put your thumb in the hole and close the knife.

This is not quite the method I described, but it is close (the second knife is a Spyderco). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUg44_koCSA

That is NOT the way to close a Spyderco! Ouch! With the Spyderco, there is no need to drop the blade onto your finger. That is a bad habit, as you found out. Instead, press the lock bar, with your index finger in the hole. Rotate the blade down, then turn the knife and either put your thumb or index finger on the spine and close the knife, or put your thumb in the hole and close the knife.

This is not quite the method I described, but it is close (the second knife is a Spyderco). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUg44_koCSA

Yes, I've closed Spydercos many different ways, including that way. With the CS Code 4, I had been loosening the extremely-tight lockbar by leaving it half-open overnight. It took a couple days. It was stupidity on my part. That blade slammed shut like a guillotine, very fast and sudden. IMO, CS knives are NOT made for safe one-handed closing. But I'm more used to Spydercos, and NEVER had a problem one-handing a Spyderco closed in any way. If you look at the old Spyderco literature, the illustration for one-hand closing is very much the way I've described. In fact, the old illustration shows an original Native being used.

With the weight of the Code 4's blade, its strong closing bias, and its action having been loosened, even attempting to safety close it one-handed like either knife in the vid would have proven disastrous.

Jim

Last edited:
The one thing I'm not liking about my Native 5 is the blade shape. The Sage blade shape is better.

The one thing I'm not liking about my Native 5 is the blade shape. The Sage blade shape is better.

I prefer the swedge and pointier Native blade and the lack of the spine hump for the hole looks better IMO.

I prefer the swedge and pointier Native blade and the lack of the spine hump for the hole looks better IMO.
The continuous smooth curve of the back of the handle carrying through across the spine of the blade is one of the key ergonomic elements that makes the Native 5 the best Spyderco.

I generally detest any sort of hump, bump, ramp, etc. at base of the spine because it invariably makes the knife uncomfortable to use in at least one grip position.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Re the Native 5 Lightweight , where is the balance point? Thanks in advance.
I'm wondering because I don't like a blade-heavy folder that feels like it's going to fall out of my hand when gripped loosely. So how does it feel when gripped (not using the choil)?

Re the Native 5 Lightweight , where is the balance point? Thanks in advance.
I'm wondering because I don't like a blade-heavy folder that feels like it's going to fall out of my hand when gripped loosely. So how does it feel when gripped (not using the choil)?

When gripped (without choil), it feels more cramped than using choil (small/medium hand), but okay. It's more comfortable using choil.

IMG_0974.jpg~original

Last edited:
Thanks Bob, that's very helpful. Looks like a neutral balance when gripped by the handle. I'll probably have to get the Maxamet at some point.

I have been carrying this thing without a clip for over a month. Although the deep carry rides real nice in the pocket, I think I am going to skip it; clip not needed on this knife.

Where all the Maxamet pics at? I thought this was a perfect knife thread!

bw1OcHkl.jpg
CBV27oUl.jpg

Last edited:
When I've carried blades in that small coin pocket of my jeans, I'm always worried that it's going to come out. After carrying in that pocket, I always put it back in a regular front pocket. Just my thoughts and opinions, however.

Haven't had a problem with it falling out yet. If I am going to do cartwheels, I would put it in my regular pocket as well.

However, I did take a good tumble down a sand dune, after having a few IPAs and horsing around. When I landed, my pockets were full of sand, and the Native stayed intact in my small pocket. It rides pretty deep and the handle texture probably helps as well.

Back