Necker challenge

This thread is for my necker entry candidates. Everything not going to the challenge will be for sale, of course. Ping me if you want something.

But anyway, a general "today" shop photo

2011-09-15-01.jpg

Top left: black handle and blue spacers. Combat LBK. Finally almost done, having to do the index finger groove completely by hand for various reasons.

Right of that, USAF model 57, just mucking around with some 800 grit stuff.

FKUKs are the top three right hand knives, in various stages of completion.

down in the middle are three of my neckers. I can't decide what to enter in the contest so I'm making 12. The wenge one will look a LOT more trim soon, it's got 3/16 extra handle material along the top and botton.

2011-09-15-02.jpg

2011-09-15-03.jpg

2011-09-15-04.jpg

2011-09-15-05.jpg

2011-09-15-06.jpg

The ipe handled wharnie is GREAT, but I'm not sure it's got enough handle for certain tester's uses. The burgundy micarta blade is a classic design from me, though they are always a bit different- I like the fat rounded butt broad "all belly" blades. The wenge one I'll update tomorrow, when it will be a lot more clear what's going on with the caping point.

I'd be tempted to go with the bottom one in this pic, awesome shape as an all round EDC.

Just looking at that burgundy model though I know it would feel great in use. That's the sort of handle you could use all day without getting any hotspots !!!

2011-09-15-02.jpg

There is something nice about the finer tipped wharnies for the smaller knife usage.

I think the wenge one is a bit of a sleeper. You can't see it yet, really. It's a sharpfinger type of blade.

one more should get glued up tomorrow, and 4 more are in the oven tempering, and I have rough profiles on more.

Christof,

I don't even know where to start. As always, your work is just friggin' awesome. I'm lovin' the USAF 57. Being a veteran of the USAF, this one is calling my name....:D

I really like the Wenge handled knife as well. Is that spint straight or swept back just a skosh?
Bill

I have a 57 coming to me soon ;) VERY excited to lay meathooks on that one!

That is a caping point style upswept spine. Like a smaller sharpfinger

I think the wharnie or the sharp finger will play best in the contest. I'm not a wharnie guy but figure for a necker challenge, looks like a winner.

More photos:

Okay, 3 more heat treated and one getting a look see to see if I want to use the curly Ash on it. (the wenge is hiding up top, but wait) - not photographed is another one that's clamped up in glue right now.

2011-09-16-01.jpg

The one looking at maybe getting ash:

2011-09-16-02.jpg

And the wenge caping point Sharpfinger interpretation: Wenge, with blue spacers. This is at 220 grit on the tang and handle, so it's not pretty, nor distressed, yet- note that it DOES have a tip, but only up in the first photograph at the top of the post can you tell.

2011-09-16-03.jpg

2011-09-16-04.jpg

2011-09-16-05.jpg

2011-09-16-06.jpg

It's large for a necker by my traditional standards, but shorter than the average EDC I do.

With the 7 inch limit in the challenge, the knives are creeping up into EDC territory anyhow.

Still have a few more to get photos of before I'm done.

And I may do a second of the wenge models since this one is a hair long. Not so bad I couldn't fix it, but it's sorta "set" at this point and there's time for me to put another one through heat treat

I flare a touch when I glue up with a cone punch and hammer, then finish with a 45 degree beveling bit in the drill press

I am thinking there will be some VERY nice small Koyotes for sale soon. My model 57 arrived today and I am very happy with my new EDC.

Bill

[QTYUOTE=koyote;10012567]I flare a touch when I glue up with a cone punch and hammer, then finish with a 45 degree beveling bit in the drill press[/QUOTE]Thanks for the info

2 more I'm finishing up. The ash handled one won't "pop" in the grain pattern until the oil soak and hand buffing.

2011-09-18-01.jpg

2011-09-18-02.jpg

2011-09-18-03.jpg

Back