need a weedeater, any suggestions?

So my $30 electric walmart weedeater crapped out on me after one summer. I've decided it's time for me to be a real man and buy a real one. Most likely I want a gas powered. I just need one for around the house and maybe use at my grandparents every now and then to help them out. Looking at stihl, echo or husqvarna. Really something that won't break after 2 summers of use. What do you folks use? How long has it lasted? Thanks.

Stihl, Have one for my 10 acres and it runs like a beast!
Going on year 6 without issues.

Husqvarna 224L, 4-stroke Honda engine. That's what I ended up with, it's as light as some 2-strokes and starts on the first or second pull, no mixing gas, no smell, and quiet. It's a little pricey but worth it.

Best thing you can do, whatever machine you get, is but ethanol free fuel for it. Ethanol is killing small gas engines everywhere. Check out this website for ethanol free gas near you: http://pure-gas.org/

Bought a Husqvarna 128LD a couple years ago, starts just as easy and runs just as good as ever. Probably the best bang for the buck, it's really light and quiet, tons of power, especially for running attatchments. A few retailers carry it, you can usually find it on sale, or get Lowes to price match+10% and get one for around $150. It is perfect for an acre or two, the head is geared up, so the engine barely needs to get above idle to trim grass, more throttle tears up large weeds and shoots, but swap to an attatchment that needs a lot of torque, like a polesaw or tiller, and it powers through work without bogging down or overheating. I have a 5yo Husky chainsaw and 7yo blower, still run like new, use them occasionally and take care of them, but use them hard when I need them. I used to drive 20mi to use ethanol free gas on lawn equipment after my older equipment got gummed up, primer bulbs hardened, and carbs had to be rebuilt yearly. They stopped carrying it 3 years ago, I use marine sta-bil and Husqvarna's 2 stroke oil with conditioner and stabilizer, and have had 0 problems, the additives might be the reason, but redesigned carbs better suited for E10 is more likely.

I've had an echo for the the past twelve years and it still runs great. Any of the ones you listed will last ten years easy. Probably twice that.

Well the stihl is the longest lasting, the husqvarna is good, the cub cadet sucks big time. Look at the head of whatever you buy and make sure the brush shield is not up above the join of the rotor head and shaft. If it is (cub cadet sucks) every weed you cut will get wrapped around the idiotic head and have to be cut out every 10 minutes while your commenting on the general lack of intelligence of the engineer and wondering why in Gods name you were too stupid to notice that in the store.

I got a 4 cycle troybuilt. Pricy, and the trimmer head broke aftr one year. The gearbox burnt out after that. And i cant get the part i need.

I have a lot of experience with weed eaters and the best one I've owned by far is the Echo 225. http://www.echo-usa.com/products/trimmers/srm-225 No weeds get wrapped around the head, it starts easy, has lots of power and best of all you just cut a section of string feed it in and wind it up and it NEVER gets tangled up. I'll never go back to those spool type tangle prone models again.

Get a Stihl, the build quality is superior. I have a lot of Husqvarna machines and I have some issue or other with all of them,with my Stihl machines I have never had a problem. Just don't buy one of those Chinese made Stihl pocket knives, I had one for 2 weeks before it literally fell apart in my pocket, lol.

Something like the Stihl fs56 should suit you for a small area. Otherwise go with something bigger with handle bars and a harness, much more comfortable.

Get a Stihl, the build quality is superior. I have a lot of Husqvarna machines and I have some issue or other with all of them,with my Stihl machines I have never had a problem. Just don't buy one of those Chinese made Stihl pocket knives, I had one for 2 weeks before it literally fell apart in my pocket, lol.

Something like the Stihl fs56 should suit you for a small area. Otherwise go with something bigger with handle bars and a harness, much more comfortable.

This is really one of those "BUY once cry once" scenarios. I run a golf course and Stihl power tools are the only ones we use. I have looked into most of the different brands but with availability, reliability and repair-ability nothing is better. I have a fleet of 14 string trimmers (weed-wackers), 4 BR600 backpack blowers and 6 chainsaws, ALL STIHL. The small dealer where you buy your Stihl will also take care of you when it comes time to winterize or make repairs. Nothing like the Big box stores that want you to throw it away and buy a new one.
I would recommend the FS 70 R for the homeowner. I know it is not the homeowner grade but once you have gone commercial grade it is hard to go back.
Best of luck in what ever you decide.
trldad

I've worked in the lawn business ever since the 1990s and have used mostly all brands of weed eaters. You really can't go wrong with these top 3 brands: Echo, Husqvarna and Stihl..... and you should always get the straight shaft, professionals don't use curved shaft.

Your 2 best options are the Echo SRM-225 and the Husqvarna 128 LD....these will last you for many years if you are just using it for home use and not in a commercial setting.

Echo SRM-225
SRM-225.jpg

Husqvarna 128-LD
4f25bd57.jpg

Last edited:
Get a Honda. Had mine for 14 years, engine starts on first pull, and is a 4 stroke engine. Pricey, but will probably outlive me.

I have had several modestly priced ones and all of them basically suck after the first year. Still have one of those hanging in my garage (maybe 12 years old). Think I'll throw it in the trash. Been reading this thread with interest.

I was in Lowe's the other day and they are offering a 40volt battery operated one ($140 as I recall). I mention this as an option, not necessarily trying to get you to buy a battery operated one. I moved to battery operated ones (18v Black & Decker) to avoid all the hassles with mixing oil and gasoline and storing it. I might use a half gallon in an entire season, much like chain saws. I don't have a huge amount of area to weedeat. The unit is now about 5 years old and I am seeing that the batteries are beginning to not hold a charge long, hence I am thinking about replacing.

My very first was a Sears/Craftsman electric which was "okay" until I bought a gas one as it had a lot more power and I got sick of dragging cords around. But on a small yard, they work. I have a corded electric leaf blower that I use, but it is mostly stuff close to the house and the cord is no big deal.

Stihl won't let u down. I love stihl and I have a husqvarna zero turn that's good too.

Aaaahhh ECHO- pretty sure re-engineered in last few years..my old one gave excellent service however shop noted on one service visit that I had one of the good ones in that its carburetor could be adjusted while newer models could not....that MAY be urban legend.

When it finally died, bought a low-end Stihl..the main reason was that my Echo service/repair joint closed [was a commercial golf course equipment dealer].

While Stihl and Echo are top quality...I have a Ryobi that I've had for the past 15 years and it keeps going, plus the attachments available for it are pretty awesome.

Back