need a weedeater, any suggestions?

I'm really looking at a Stihl. So what's the benefits of a straight shaft vs curved. Why do professionals prefer straight?

I have a Husky that I use mostly with the saw blade and being heavy I favor a cheaper Toro. The Toro is light and quiet and easier to re string than the Husky.

I've had an echo for about 10 years. I get it maintained once a year and it has been mainly trouble free. I have had to have it serviced maybe 2 times other than the annual maintenance. After a decade, it doesn't start quite as easy but still works great. I'm thinking about getting a new one and it will be another echo or a stihl.

The straight shaft is the only way to go. I'm not a pro but I do have two apartment buildings plus my house and a curved shaft is just a nuisance.

Husqvarna here,had my 325 for around 10 years. Only had one 30.00 repair done and replaced the head twice. Be sure to use a good quality oil. I only use Husqvarna or Stihl oil and try to use 100% gas.

I'm really looking at a Stihl. So what's the benefits of a straight shaft vs curved. Why do professionals prefer straight?

Not a pro, but I do several lawns. I have a couple of small steep banks that can't be mowed so I weed whack them. Curved shaft makes it difficult. You have to kind of severely angle the machine to compensate for the curve and the hill. But that might not be a problem for your situation. Also, straight shaft gives you more distance\range. You can kind of reach out and get to stuff you couldn't reach with the curve. I actually don't know what the benefit of a curved shaft is. I have only used the curved one a few times and didn't like it.

I'd go for a goat. Organic, fertilizes as it goes, and can be milked (if female). Also, can be eaten.

I like that idea the best, but seriously, whatever brand you choose will serve you well as long as you take care of it. I'd also check to see if there is a small engine repair shop close to you and talk to those folks to see which brand is in the shop the most, and don't get that one. Also buy from a lumber yard or local hardware store. They tend to have better quality (same Brand as some stores) equipment. Word of warning, some brands sell to bigger stores in order to compete at a lower cost, hence, there is a difference in the same brand.

I had a 48 in curved shaft once,it is the longer shaft but it still killed my back to use it. I would say curved for short person and straight for tall person.

My impression is also that the cheaper gasoline models tend to be noisier. You hardly notice much sound with the commercial lawn folks. It's there of course, but not loud like my original Ryobie.

I have an electric (no battery) Ryobi that I have had for @ 15 years. If your trimming is within 100' and light duty it is a good choice. A little pain moving the cord and designed for light duty but quiet and no fumes.

Curved shaft = trimmer head driven directly. Straight shaft = trimmer head driven by gearbox. I have an Echo, would heartily recommend one. Echo's have a 5-year consumer warranty. And, whatever you buy, buy it from a servicing dealer, not a big-box store.

All three are great choices and should last a homeowner for years. As someone else said, go with a straight shaft, they seem to last much longer. Stihl has always been my first choice. Just remember that with a Stihl you can't go to Home Depot or Lowes to pick up parts for them. They only sell their parts through dealers. This may or may not be a factor to consider.

Straight shaft also allows you to flip the head upside down and use as an edger. I worked lawn care and landscaping for ten years (seasonal). Curved shafts are cumbersome and less versatile.

Last edited:
I've got an echo that has been working well but I've only had it 4 years. It's started up every time even after sitting through a New England winter. Only thing to consider is if you want the noise or not, if it's going to be for light use may be think electric.

I used the reviews from you guys and just bought a echo srm 225 & a echo blower. Seem really nice. I started these puppies up, it's about 9:00pm here so, I wanted to give my neighbors a good reason to report me too the home owners association.:D

Thanks for all your reviews.:thumbup:

My Echo which I bought over 25 years ago recently bit the dust. Needed a new coil and a few other parts which would have cost about $100 so I decide to treat my self to a new one. I maintain about an acre plus two rental houses. I purchased a Stihl professional model with a 4 stroke engine. After using it for a few months I have to say I prefer a 2 stroke. My old one was quieter, lighter, and seemed to run better (in it's earlier days). The Stihl I have is quite powerful and the model I have was made in USA.

Whatever you get I highly recommend using the non ethanol premix fuel like Trufuel. All the manufactures sell their own premix fuel. I have been using this for a number of years now in my line trimmer, hedge trimmer, blower and chainsaw and have not had any fuel related issues. I really believe that my 2 stroke equipment starts easier and runs better using this fuel. I haven't had to breakout the starting fluid since I started using this stuff. I also always use fuel stabilizer in my fuel for the mowers and tiller.

A small engine mechanic once told me that fuel stabilizer would prevent half of the homeowner issues they deal with.

Husqvarna is what I use. 223L is the model. Had an Echo GT6500 for about 15 years. It was very light, but the Husqvarna is a cutting machine! Echo and Stihl make great products as well.

Roundup.

I just hold the nozzel really close to the ground and spray about a 2" band around everything that needs to be trimmed. I apply it about once per month with no noise, vibration, or frustration at a fraction of the cost of owning a Weedeater.

Back