Recommendation? Need to replace a folder. Have a favorite?

tl;dr version
I want/need a new folder EDC that meets the following specs, send me a recommendation:
3" or greater blade length
Decent steel. You all know what that means.
Maximum price $250
Doesn't weigh a billion pounds

Long version
It has been ages since I've posted here. Used to be active, then became a lurker. Back when I posted often I always received great recommendations.

My beloved ZT 452 CF was stolen by an evil ex-roommate. Police, prosecutors, and mediators later, I'll get most of what I'm owed back, though my knife and other possessions I'll likely never see again. I carried that knife for 2.5 years every single day and loved it. Great steel, was fairly long and ergonomic for my size hands, sat deep in the pocket, was lightweight. ZT even replaced the blade for me for free. It is at the top of my list but also the bottom because I have no clue what else I should consider. So send me a recommendation!

Things I like:
Longer blade
Lightweight
Sits deep in pocket
Flipper
Very pokey

What I'll use it for:
Literally everything

Pics of my lost ZT 452 CF
18222299_1029795347154067_8530721219385432694_n.jpg

18301876_1029795380487397_3038711508379721121_n.jpg

Is your plan to purchase new, or hunt for deals on the Exchange? (You can probably get more for your max $$ on the Exchange, if you don't mind that somebody has already fondled your knife)

Is your plan to purchase new, or hunt for deals on the Exchange? (You can probably get more for your max $$ on the Exchange, if you don't mind that somebody has already fondled your knife)
Either way. I've purchased on the exchange before, the issue is finding exactly what I want. I'm open to new or via the exchange.

Check out the (Giant Mouse) Ace Sonoma.
Disclaimer: I don't have one, and don't plan on buying one... but I have the GM4 (the knife on which it was based). *It's not as big as the 0452; so, if you love that size, you may be disappointed

I'd just get another ZT 0452cf as it sounds like you really liked it. I myself think the 0452cf is too big for my EDC but I love carrying my 0450cf.

Great choice on the Bulleit...one of my favs.
Pointy...slender...long...what about a kwaiken style blade?
Upgrade to a Liong Mah?
Or maybe an Anso?

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss, i lost most of mine in o7 . At that price point you have a ton of options.
I have replaced my old favorites with new . Please keep us posted. I would likely spend a little more and get into
the reeve , hinderer .medford range.

Jake

A Spyderco Manix 2 or a Paramilitary 2 would be great choices. You can get great steel choices in these, especially with the PM2.

I love recommending knives but if you really loved the 0452, I'd probably go for that again. Not much around in that general style and price range that can really compete IMO.

That being said, you might check out the Spyderco Smock and maybe the Massdrop (Drop) Keen? The keen is bit larger and a great knife. They come up for sale quite often. But, I'd still go 0452.

In that general size and shape the only similar knife I have is a lower level Kershaw "Nura" (the larger of the two "Nura" models, the #4035) I liked it enough that 10min after I opened the package I ordered a second one, but as a 4035 Nura is only $19 and not a CF-scaled knife, it IS a Frame-lock KVT ball bearing "flipper" designed by Dmitry Sinkevich...

To be honest If I were looking for a $250 knife the ZT 0452 would be near or at the top of my list!

But to be even more honest, I'm Retired/Disabled and living on a fixed income and a ZT 0452 would cost a significant fraction of what my entire collection of folding knives did...

Last edited:
Reactions: vba
Just to through up something different (and because I am carrying mine today) the Cold Steel Code 4 (I like the CTS-XHP clip point version myself)

I have a couple of favourites,sure, but none of them really meet your wants.

I'd probably just get another 0452. It's a knife you know and love.

Ye
tl;dr version
I want/need a new folder EDC that meets the following specs, send me a recommendation:
3" or greater blade length
Decent steel. You all know what that means.
Maximum price $250
Doesn't weigh a billion pounds

Long version
It has been ages since I've posted here. Used to be active, then became a lurker. Back when I posted often I always received great recommendations.

My beloved ZT 452 CF was stolen by an evil ex-roommate. Police, prosecutors, and mediators later, I'll get most of what I'm owed back, though my knife and other possessions I'll likely never see again. I carried that knife for 2.5 years every single day and loved it. Great steel, was fairly long and ergonomic for my size hands, sat deep in the pocket, was lightweight. ZT even replaced the blade for me for free. It is at the top of my list but also the bottom because I have no clue what else I should consider. So send me a recommendation!

Things I like:
Longer blade
Lightweight
Sits deep in pocket
Flipper
Very pokey

What I'll use it for:
Literally everything

Pics of my lost ZT 452 CF
18222299_1029795347154067_8530721219385432694_n.jpg

18301876_1029795380487397_3038711508379721121_n.jpg
Yeah I was going to recommend a Benchmade 940-1 (carbon fiber S90V) but I think It might not do it for you . . . probably best to get another ZT 452 CF. Looks like it would be hard to beat !

Sorry, i missed your pice point.
What about a WE Practic?

Can't say anything different then anyone hasn't already said if you liked the 452cf just pick up another one. But I might suggest the 450cf. It's just a bit smaller and lighter and I have seen a few on the forums for well under your limit. Myself my very favorite knife is the ZT0561. Even over both my CRK'S. But from what I can tell it's out of your price range and your weight limit. Comes in at just over 6 oz. Sorry you had a packer head for a room mate.

Opinel no 10
...seriously thorough, why not just get another 0452?

Back