Recommendation? Need to replace a folder. Have a favorite?

Can't say anything different then anyone hasn't already said if you liked the 452cf just pick up another one. But I might suggest the 450cf. It's just a bit smaller and lighter and I have seen a few on the forums for well under your limit. Myself my very favorite knife is the ZT0561. Even over both my CRK'S. But from what I can tell it's out of your price range and your weight limit. Comes in at just over 6 oz. Sorry you had a packer head for a room mate.

Oh she was a piece of work. It's sorted (mostly). I have the 566, the g10 little brother to the 561, and enjoy it. It's what I've been carrying daily since my poor 452cf was kidnapped. I was thinking about the 450 actually because it's a bit smaller and easier for EDC but I've never handled one. I'll have to check out a few local shops and handle it to see.

ZT0452CF
There have been several in the exchange lately that were like new or barely used coming in well under your soft price max.

Possibilities:
ZT 0452, but you knew that
Benchmade Crooked River, no CF but a great EDC
ZT 0450, marbled CF, very nice, better steel, but .75 shorter
Viper/Anso Orso, M390, liner-lock, also .75 shorter

All possibilities...

Possibilities:
ZT 0452, but you knew that
Benchmade Crooked River, no CF but a great EDC
ZT 0450, marbled CF, very nice, better steel, but .75 shorter
Viper/Anso Orso, M390, liner-lock, also .75 shorter

All possibilities...
I think the crooked river is a great idea given what the op is after.

If you can do without the flipper, look at the ZT 640. Feels good in hand. May be my next purchase.

We Miscreant:

WE-Knife-Co-Miscreant-FL-Black-Gold-Satin-913A-BHQ-99822-jr.jpg

Artisan Tradition:

Artisan-Tradition-Satin-Ti-S35VN-1702G-ST-BHQ-84992-jr.jpg

I don't have any firsthand experience with either, but they've both caught my attention recently and meet your criteria. The WE looks small without any index, but it's a 4" blade.

Boker Plus Urban Trapper Petite.

A Brad Zinker designed titanium frame lock flipper with ball bearing pivot and ultra deep carry clip.

The hollow ground VG-10 blade is thin and very pokey.

Choose either the plain titanium handle, or add some carbon fiber scales, either way it weighs just over one ounce.

Several configurations to choose from, it's definitely worth a look.

I have a ZT 0452CF and love the thing. It's a great design and a lot of blade in a nice sized knife.

If you're looking to change it up, but want something that you can tell is at least related, how about a ZT 0462? There's a version with a bit of red in the carbon fiber that's awful nice. The pocket clip isn't as deep carry, but I'm sure at least MXG Gear makes an aftermarket one.

I've got a Liong Mah Warrior 2 V2 that's one of my favorites. The blade on that is about 3.6 inches. They're priced $400 or more new, but you could likely find one used on the exchange around your budget if you're patient enough. Excellent build quality, great action, and a very nice grind on the M390 blade.

I think the looks are likely a little polarizing, but would you consider a WE Knives Roxi 4? It reminds me a bit of an enlarged Yojimbo 2 with a flipper tab, but the blade is right around 4 inches. I think they're about $250 new. I've been wanting to try one in the flamed titanium, but there's a plain gray one as well. Let me see if I can dig up pictures:

Here's the Liong Mah:
upload_2019-10-9_20-32-46.jpeg

This is the WE Roxi 4:

upload_2019-10-9_20-31-44.jpeg

I have a ZT 0452CF and love the thing. It's a great design and a lot of blade in a nice sized knife.

If you're looking to change it up, but want something that you can tell is at least related, how about a ZT 0462?

On my list for sure. Very pokey and versatile, I just wonder how it'd sit in my skinny jeans (I am about a buck forty soaking wet).

As for the Liong Mah Warrior 2 V2, I'll definitely give it a look. If I see one at a decent deal I could pick it up and if I end up not being super pleased I could pass on the deal.

As for the WE Roxi, I again worry about the bulk in the pocket. What I like about the 452 is how slender it is and how deep it sits. I never notice the thing in my pocket. I do love wharncliffe blades, however. If they made it in a fixed blade I might carry it as a night-time backup ;)

I am carrying the ZT 0470 today and if you like the Sinkevich designs I think you should give a look to it

good steel, flipper, easy to carry for a 3.4 blade and a very nice carbon Fiber inlay
Not a deep carry but the pocket clip is very functional so nothing bad to that

I would go on a knife retail site, plug in your parameters and see what pops up. Why not take this opportunity to buy something new and different.

My recommendations are the zt 0562 or 0801.

I'd get another 0452cf, then start saving up and search for another knife. The 0452cf is my favorite ZT. If I lost mine I'd buy another one immediately.

I try to buy mostly US made knives, but I’ve never met a ZT that wanted to come home with me. Haha. I don’t dislike flippers but I’m not partial to them. My highest recommendation would be to find a good condition, gently previously appreciated, Hinderer to take for a spin.

On my list for sure. Very pokey and versatile, I just wonder how it'd sit in my skinny jeans (I am about a buck forty soaking wet).

As for the Liong Mah Warrior 2 V2, I'll definitely give it a look. If I see one at a decent deal I could pick it up and if I end up not being super pleased I could pass on the deal.

As for the WE Roxi, I again worry about the bulk in the pocket. What I like about the 452 is how slender it is and how deep it sits. I never notice the thing in my pocket. I do love wharncliffe blades, however. If they made it in a fixed blade I might carry it as a night-time backup ;)
I only tried out an 0462 in the store. It had a small footprint like the 0452. It may have been because of how I held the thing, but the action wasn't quite a snappy or authoritative as the 0452. I suspect I was putting some pressure on the lock bar.

The Liong Mah Warrior is nice, but not quite as slender as the 0452. In the pocket, it's probably close to the PM2. It's maybe not as "pokey" as the 0452, though.
All in all, I think I'm going to vote that you go for another 0452CF. I like mine so much I'm sometimes tempted to get a second just in case!

Spyderco Mili for big carry or my fav, the P2 for EDC. Tons of scale and blade materials to choose. WAY under $250.

My 0452CF is one of the few knives I don't plan on ever selling/trading. It really is a classic. Some of the other knives I won't get rid of:

Spyderco Military
Spyderco PM2
Small Sebenza
MSC SnG

For what you're looking for, I can't think of a better knife than the 0452CF. A couple of knives that remind me of the 0452CF are the Giant Mouse Knives Ace Sonoma and GM3

Sonoma

GM3

Last edited:
Sounds like that 0452 was perfect for you. If anyone says over 3", flipper, lightweight, and deep carry, I think 0452. It was one of the first more-expensive knives I bought and I still have one that I carry regularly.

If you don't mind not having a flipper, the BM 940-2 is just a good knife in general. You could get a deep carry clip for it easily too.

Back