Nessmuk Group Buy WIP

Big Chris

SAHD/Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I will try to be very detailed in this progress thread and detail as many steps as I can.
I have tried this before but tend to get in a groove or rhythm and forget to take pictures along the way.

Now, since I have the knives finished that I want on my table at Blade Show I was left with trying to decide what new project to start.
I figured the Nessmuk Group Buy is a good place to spend my time for the next couple days.

Here is where I started.
All the blades drawn out on the steel ready to get sawn out.

neswip1.jpg

I cut 12 so that I would have 2 extras in case something happened to some of the others. If all goes well there will be 2 extras at the end of the 10 piece run for the group buy.
I do not like wasted space on steel so I added in a few extra blades just for good measure.

Here are the 12 blades cut out.

neswip2.jpg

They are now sitting next to my grinder. My plan is to get them profiled out and drilled tomorrow.

If there is not already a list started for "I'd like to purchase one if you wind up with an extra," I would like to put my name down please.

Woo! They look awesome. I'm with tbhride, I definitely want on that list!

I have received several emails and messages asking how to get one of these.
When the blades are ready to be sent off for heat treat I will start the sign-up thread.
I will try to give a day or two notice so that you can be looking for it to post.
In that thread I will explain pricing as well as the options for handle materials.

I am very pleased to see that there is a bit of excitement and anticipation for these.

I was without kids for 2 days last week and was able to get a whole lot of work done.

Here are the knives all profiled out.

neswip3.jpg

When drilling the holes on similar patterns I find it quickest and easiest to stack them and work in groups

neswip4.jpg

Pin holes and lightening holes drilled.
If you notice I drilled them for either 2 pins and tube or 3 pins without a tube. This will be an option when finishing.

neswip5.jpg

Now is time for some hot and dirty work, the rough grinding.

Here I have the center lines laid out to grind up to.

neswip6.jpg

I have the edges broken with an old belt so not to strip the abrasive on the sharp edges.

neswip7.jpg

Rough grinds laid in with 36 grit belts.

neswip8.jpg

This is with the preheat treat grinds finished.

neswip9.jpg

The blades are on their way to Peters right now for heat treat. I am requesting a hardness of 60-61, but asking that they try to stay closer to the 61 for better edge retention.
I am really pleased with how these are turning out. I hope to get them back in a few weeks and get to finishing them up.

I will post the "Official Sign-Up Thread" next week after my return from Blade Show.
I will give a days notice before the sign-up goes live.
In that thread I will include directions on how to get on the list for purchase and lay out the pricing and options that will be available.

Last edited:
Are you going to investigate that delta-3V heat treatment? I am definitely interested in checking out a 4V offering.

Are you going to investigate that delta-3V heat treatment? I am definitely interested in checking out a 4V offering.

Not really sure what you are referring to here.
I have a 3V heat treat that I use that I am very confident in that I will be using.

Sorry Chris, to clarify: There's another maker, Nathan the Machinist, who says he tweaked the 3V heat treat just a bit and got even more performance out of it.

I have a couple of your 3V EDC's and another 3V by another maker. Your heat treatment is superior in every way, so I know you have your game on point with it. Love those knives!

I just don't hear a lot of the maker's discussions about the nuances and had only wondered if you were hearing anything about what Nathan calls the delta 3V.

The Nessmuk blades are back from heat treat.
I will get a picture uploaded here in a little bit.

Here is the notice!!!

Nessmuk Group Buy Sign-Up Thread WILL be Posted Tomorrow

I will wait at least 24 hours from this posting.

There will be 10 knives available with 2 on hold for "Just in Case", so possible 12 of you could score one of these.

If you have any questions let me know.

Back