New 2017 Benchmades....

As a longstanding fan-boy and staunch defender of Benchmade, after briefly reviewing their 2017 offerings, my initial reaction, is as follows:

Ha! LMAO. Wow.... Uhmmmm, well, you see, what had happened was..... Holy shit.

Granted, I haven't given much thought to the matter after being unable to identify a single item I am remotely interested in purchasing, particularly, but not solely, in light of the delusional pricing. But, perhaps this was an extreme measure to prove to the world that they have a good sense of humor? Lol.

Did they really consciously formulate these designs and prices? Or did they use some program that randomly generated the catalogue?

In any event, as already mentioned, they have one hell of a perverse sense of humor.

Wow. Really? Holy shit.

What kills me, is that this comes at the heels of having noticed a dramatic improvement in fit and finish, as to my last few purchases. The newer blades I have examined that now reference Benchmade's patent section of its website, instead of specifying actual patent numbers on the blades, have been superior in all respects, to the blades I have received during the course of the prior last few years.

I bought a 560 Freek (plain edge, satin) last week on impulse at a local store for a great price, I have to say so far I am very impressed. The new handle material is much nice than the Griptilian and the blade shape and steel are also major improvements. This has supplanted my S110v Manix LW as my go to EDC the past few days.

Also, no QC issues to speak of, solid lockup and centering, even grinds. Mine is a first production around #400 for reference.

I'm curious what kind of coating they're going to use on the black blades, I see DLC is finally being used on some models but can't find it listed for the 560.

Benchmade lost me years ago with MAP pricing---I still use and enjoy the ones I have but there is very little interest, if any at all, in anything new from them. Spyderco now gets my business as they are still reasonably priced. $500 and I'm buying a gun----sorry, that's just how it is.

Isn't it odd that many of the best offerings in recent years were not sold with the Butterfly; instead branded HK and Bradley, (note the brilliant Alias, both large and small...) and the older 14205 HK designed by Mike Snody...these were advanced tools for their day, and frankly the Alias I at apx $175 was equal to many out there. Who needs to spend such big bucks?

Point is, there's nothing in the 2017 catalog that holds my interest.

Hey Benchmade, want to sell knives? here's a few tips.

- Adamas 2.0 - make it and UNCOATED blade, satin or stonewash, slightly change the handle design to give it a fresh look and feel, also make it in a good corrosion resistant steel. In a market currently obsessed with beefy overbuilt knives, a refresh of this would sell like hotcakes.
- 943/940 - make a version with full titanium scales, would add even more class to an epic knife while showing some love to the neglected 943.
- Rukus / Mini Rukus - BRING IT BACK, upgrade the steel for some extra appeal.
- AFCK - BRING IT BACK, again add more steel options.

Is that so hard to envision? I bet you anything, just that small bunch of refreshers would sell more than the boring, uninspired designs we've seen in the 2017 catalogue, by a stonking country mile too. Oh and one last thing - lose the silly prices.

I saw on the Benchmade site last night a new slipjoint model called the Proper. #319. Nice gentleman's size folder with modern steel but a traditional look. Nail nick, no lock etc. Was this demo'd at the Shot Show or discussed here already? If so I missed it. I saw one vendor taking pre-orders so it must be coming out in the near future. I started a thread in the traditional forum.

,,,Mike in Canada

Great ideas; I agree 100%.

- Adamas 2.0 - make it and UNCOATED blade, satin or stonewash, slightly change the handle design to give it a fresh look and feel, also make it in a good corrosion resistant steel. In a market currently obsessed with beefy overbuilt knives, a refresh of this would sell like hotcakes.
- 943/940 - make a version with full titanium scales, would add even more class to an epic knife while showing some love to the neglected 943.

Is that so hard to envision? I bet you anything, just that small bunch of refreshers would sell more than the boring, uninspired designs we've seen in the 2017 catalogue, by a stonking country mile too. Oh and one last thing - lose the silly prices.

Yes to all the above. Also, and Adamas in 3v or even M4 would be awesome with a DLC coating.

I just bought a new 520 Presidio for a decent price---which has been my favorite Benchmade model for a long time----since BM seems intent on shooting itself in the foot-----probably my last Benchmade until they come to their senses.

Basically quit acting like your s--t don't stink and start getting competitive with the pricing or you won't be around much longer.

Back