NEW 4.7 Thread

I going to go out on a limb and say the at was suppose to be a "noob" question but I could be wrong. Yeah, I am wrong. I forgot I am married never mind. (meant to be read with sarcasim)

I going to go out on a limb and say the at was suppose to be a "noob" question but I could be wrong. Yeah, I am wrong. I forgot I am married never mind. (meant to be read with sarcasim)

There's no way that was a typo or autocorrect situation :D

I have my share of mistakes, but if I see a typo that is too comical, I just have to comment on it!

It's noon somewhere smartass!!

Yeah noob. Woops.

Ha! My favorite was few months ago when Riz clearly meant to type "ambidextrous", but it autocorrected to "amphibious". I had a detailed reply in mind with a reference to Kevin Costner and Water World, but I never did it................ missed opportunities...................................

Ha! My favorite was few months ago when Riz clearly meant to type "ambidextrous", but it autocorrected to "amphibious". I had a detailed reply in mind with a reference to Kevin Costner and Water World, but I never did it................ missed opportunities...................................

That would have been Epic win. Gills for the glorious victory.

my factory second has arrived and the only detectable flaw is a few minuscule finish scuffs. the 4.7 is exactly what I'm looking for in an edc fixed blade, I'm sure the 4.5 and 4.1 are also perfect options and I may have to snag a 4.1 when they become available. sad news is no micro texture. the coyote sheath is nice. here are the obligatory photos:

sWimpkx.jpg
rwzTorI.jpg
E5ykWUV.jpg

That's a good looking pair there! Man, I am on the edge of my seat waiting for mine.
It had to snag a sagewood dangler since they are doing a "short preorder" (as Brian described it) so it's ready when my 4.7 gets here.

Last edited:
27306913102_3ece2e4a42_c.jpg

Beautiful! Similar, and yet very different as well. Do you have a favorite between the two?

ETA: I think we've got the same flooring, ha!

The new scales offer a secure grip far superior to the old spec ones. Personally, I prefer the balance on my old spec 5.1 (not pictured) and 4.1 over my new 4.7. They're all great knives and I think the new grip proves it's worth in the bush especially when things get wet so it's prob gonna be my preferred hiking knife. TBH I haven't washed my kitchen floor in a looong time lol.

So does 3V just look like the blade in that 4.1 over time, or is that a tumbled finish? I love it - has the lived in look - but I also love the bead blasted finish the new 3V has. Just curious what it looks like over time.

You know it TRfromMT - that's the tumbled finish on the old spec 4.1. I agree the new finish is mean clean and pristine.

The 4.1 will be the first with the delta. I guess my incoming 4.7 is already obsolete :eek:

What's this I hear? The 4.7 HT is outdated already?

Does anyone know if the 4.5 Bushcrafts will have skeletonized handles? I sure hope they do. Sorry for the quality of my photos lol, the other pics look great.

Last edited:

Never talk knives and testicles in the same thread!
I love that show!

What's this I hear? The 4.7 HT is outdated already?

Does anyone know if the 4.5 Bushcrafts will have skeletonized handles?
Yes, the current 5.1 and 4.7 and 2.7 all have an improved heat treat over the last generation of GSO's, but the new 4.1 and everything after will have the new delta heat treat which is even better.

That puts me in a position I never thought I'd be in. My GSO 5 is worlds better than my Kabars and ESEEs, but my 4.7 will be even better in regards to finish and heat treat and attention to detail and maybe even handle texturing, BUT my 4.1 will have an even better heat treat. Wow! What a time to be alive!

As far as I know only the 2.7 will have a skeletonized tang meaning the 4.5 will have a solid tang. What were you hoping to gain with a skeletonized 4.5? I'm sure the weight and balance will still be awesome even without the skeletonizing.

Yes, the current 5.1 and 4.7 and 2.7 all have an improved heat treat over the last generation of GSO's, but the new 4.1 and everything after will have the new delta heat treat which is even better. What were you hoping to gain with a skeletonized 4.5? I'm sure the weight and balance will still be awesome even without the skeletonizing.

Thanks for the insight. Disclaimer: I'm no knife expert at all.

In my hand, my new 4.7 feels just a hair handle heavy compared to my old spec models. With the 4.5 Bushcraft coming in the thinnest stock (.115") of them all I suspect I'd personally prefer a skeletonization with that setup.

I concur, regardless of what model GSO someone goes with, they're getting an excellent tool at an incredible price. I'm impressed by the lengths Guy is going.

Thanks for the insight. Disclaimer: I'm no knife expert at all.

In my hand, my new 4.7 feels just a hair handle heavy compared to my old spec models. With the 4.5 Bushcraft coming in the thinnest stock (.115") of them all I suspect I'd personally prefer a skeletonization with that setup.

I concur, regardless of what model GSO someone goes with, they're getting an excellent tool at an incredible price. I'm impressed by the lengths Guy is going.

You bet! I'm no expert either, but if you hang around enough it's surprising how much you learn :thumbup:

i personally do not want my 4.5 to have a skeletonize handle. a few ounces is no big deal. i like my tools with some heft, to feel substantial in my hand. maybe thats why i use a 4lb sledge as my work hammer.

The G10 scales may be throwing the balance point off. They tend to be a bit heavier than the canvas or linen micarta scales.

Went out and beat on my 4.7 a bit earlier on after I had come back from the range. The objective was to mark it up so that I would not get any ideas to safekeep it or worse, to move it. Mission accomplished! Doesn't have quite the chopping heft, but I was not expecting it to be so. I think that the GSO 6 will possess the minimum size and heft to leave a respectable bite. Mind you, I wasn't hacking like a madman because it was only 4 Saturdays back when I almost lopped off the index digit! I was just wrist flicking to gauge the knife. Afterwards, I washed it with warm soapy water, died it with a rag, used the green side of the Flexxx Strop paddle for 5 light brushed and used a very light amount of gun oil. Almost as good as new again!

Went out and beat on my 4.7 a bit earlier on after I had come back from the range. The objective was to mark it up so that I would not get any ideas to safekeep it or worse, to move it. Mission accomplished! Doesn't have quite the chopping heft, but I was not expecting it to be so. I think that the GSO 6 will possess the minimum size and heft to leave a respectable bite. Mind you, I wasn't hacking like a madman because it was only 4 Saturdays back when I almost lopped off the index digit! I was just wrist flicking to gauge the knife. Afterwards, I washed it with warm soapy water, died it with a rag, used the green side of the Flexxx Strop paddle for 5 light brushed and used a very light amount of gun oil. Almost as good as new again!

Pics or it didn't happen!

I'm anxious to see a well used blade with the new finish.

Back