[New and improved] Whats your Favorite Blade Steel (yes Again)

Pick your all time favorite.

• M390

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • S35V

• S30V

• CMP-M4

• CMP-3V

• VG-10

• O1

• AUS-8

• INFI

• A2

• SR101

• ATS 34

• CPM-154

• CPM-10V

• YXR7

• Other's

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
...But I agree that there should be two polls, I would say that you break up a poll into folder knife steel and fixed blade steel...

Wait, are you saying that you'd vote differently if it were a folder vs fixed blade? I suppose that you are asserting the true difference to be one of SIZE as informing upon FUNCTION and have a preference for different steels depending on the purpose of the tool...

Then again, would anyone really choose, for example, 420HC or 440A or 8Cr13 or 12C27 etc. (among the most common steels in both fixed and folder) over INFI be it fixed or folder?

And I agree with a post above, why isn't there any mention of 420HC in the poll? Or other basic stainless steels, heck why not include the stuff most kitchen knives are made of? If 1095 is there, so should 420HC be there. Since INFI and SR101 are proprietary, why include them? Should mention be made of differences in HT as well, e.g. 420HC by Buck vs by anyone else? Or maybe with hardness values attached, e.g. CPM-3V at 58Rc vs at 62Rc?

Bring on the INFI folder!!!!

Nobody here was 'passionate' about voting for INFI until someone else started a thread saying 'go, be passionate about INFI here'. Any semblance of authenticity to the INFI votes here is negated by the thread over in the Busse subforum telling everybody about the poll.

Please, tell us all more about how merely providing an otherwise lacking awareness of the poll's existence is tantamount to "go, be passionate about INFI here." Or about how telling a broader audience that a vote - supposedly open to any and all interested voters of BF - is going on negates "any semblance of authenticity" in anyone's votes. Just wait a moment while I go get my popcorn.

Does that mean this poll is accurate? no.

The poll purports to ask what the audience's favorite blade steel is, not what they consider (much less what, objectively, is) the best blade steel. Hard to see how such a poll could be anything other than accurate...but I know reading can be difficult, so no hard feelings.

Please, tell us all more about how merely providing an otherwise lacking awareness of the poll's existence is tantamount to "go, be passionate about INFI here." Or about how telling a broader audience that a vote - supposedly open to any and all interested voters of BF - is going on negates "any semblance of authenticity" in anyone's votes. Just wait a moment while I go get my popcorn.

I already explained it, but you'll have to read more than just one post of mine.

poll in GD gets an audience from GD, link poll in Busse forum, you get an audience of GD+Busse, hence negating any imbalance towards Busse-related steels due to an imbalance in audience locations.

Simple, really.

Why you all care so much about such a inaccurate (for lack of options) and meaningless (no qualitative analysis plus lack of options) poll is funny. So what if the Busse guys overran the dumb thing. Last we need is more of these....

Why you all care so much about such a inaccurate (for lack of options) and meaningless (no qualitative analysis plus lack of options) poll is funny. So what if the Busse guys overran the dumb thing. Last we need is more of these....
Yea, that's what I am wondering...why be so wound up about us INFI fans participating here in the first place?!

#whysoserious?!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Wait, are you saying that you'd vote differently if it were a folder vs fixed blade? I suppose that you are asserting the true difference to be one of SIZE as informing upon FUNCTION and have a preference for different steels depending on the purpose of the tool...

Then again, would anyone really choose, for example, 420HC or 440A or 8Cr13 or 12C27 etc. (among the most common steels in both fixed and folder) over INFI be it fixed or folder?

And I agree with a post above, why isn't there any mention of 420HC in the poll? Or other basic stainless steels, heck why not include the stuff most kitchen knives are made of? If 1095 is there, so should 420HC be there. Since INFI and SR101 are proprietary, why include them? Should mention be made of differences in HT as well, e.g. 420HC by Buck vs by anyone else? Or maybe with hardness values attached, e.g. CPM-3V at 58Rc vs at 62Rc?

Bring on the INFI folder!!!!

Yes, I would vote differently for many reasons. I prefer a stainless steel for folders because there are many more nooks and crannies that rust can hide in. I also do not feel the need for extreme toughness in a folder. ATS34/154cm/cpm154 would be my choice in a folder steel. But I have not played with elmax or m390. Don't get me wrong, I would not turn down a good folder in 3v or INFI, but I don't feel they are necessary for use in a folder.

c'mon these polls are fun. Lets do another one. How about knife handle materials. :D

I already explained it, but you'll have to read more than just one post of mine.

poll in GD gets an audience from GD, link poll in Busse forum, you get an audience of GD+Busse, hence negating any imbalance towards Busse-related steels due to an imbalance in audience locations.

Simple, really.

Not so...
Poll in GD gets an audience from BF. General Knife Discussion is pretty much a main "front door" forum. Hence the name GENERAL as applied to knife discussion.
We are ALL members of BladeForums, and as such allowed to post anywhere, vote anywhere, contribute everywhere our memberships levels permit.
Stop acting territorial about it. Whether you like it or not, we have the same right to be here as you. Same right to vote in polls as you. Same right to either accept or dismiss poll results as you. I don't give a damn who or what brought us here, but since you don't agree, maybe we should visit & post in General more often...that way, on the next poll, we won't be all but told that our participation is...discouraged. That work for you? :)

I can see I am not going to convince you of anything right now, so I'll back off and let you have your Busse love party.

c'mon these polls are fun. Lets do another one. How about knife handle materials. :D

No you are right, 20 spots is enough for that, unless we go by what all the different companies call plastic....

S30V (by Spyderco) for me. M390 still has too high a price premium for near identical cutting performance to get my cash. I would choose a different steel for large fixed blades but since I carry a folder 99% of the time in real life, I had to go with stainless. Maybe the next poll will be more specific. Glad to see mod acknowledges all are welcome. :)

Sounds lile elmax would have smoked m390 had it been included.

One of my favorite Busse is in elmax!

Never played with one, but I am not surprised. I just realized I picked up a used folder off the exchange and it is elmax. Gonna give it a try. Give my manix and Endura a rest.

I thoughts mods were supposed to discourage petty bickering. Then again, at least one of them is super biased when it comes to his personal relationships and opinions.

Back