1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New BentoBoxShop M390 Delica

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Abyss_Fish, May 31, 2019.

1. Abyss_Fish

Abyss_Fish

Mar 14, 2019
    New at BentoBoxShop.com this month (I think) is an exclusive delica 4 in m390. And for only 100(ish) bucks this is a fantastic deal.
    But like most things like this it feels too good to be true. Another budget m390 knife, the “GiantMouse ACE Iona” is also around a hundred dollars, but suffers from a poor heat treat.
    So I’m hoping the BentoBoxShop M390 delica 4 doesn’t succumb to the same fate. Because MAN do M390-ish steels suffer below 60hrc.

edit: looks like it has. sheeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiii-

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  2. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Ehh not from that vendor.

Smooth_Operater, ScooterG and knaf like this.
  3. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    I ordered one, it's an m390 delica!

Sergeua and Kiteman72 like this.
  4. Knibes

Knibes

Oct 9, 2013
    I ordered two. We have no reason to doubt this M390. The price is lower than a para 2 with like steel because it is a less expensive model.

5. Abyss_Fish

Abyss_Fish

Mar 14, 2019
    what's wrong with Bento Box Shop? I don't know much about it tbh.

6. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Very high prices (much higher than MAP) and no returns.

8thWonder and knaf like this.
  7. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Do a search you'll find Alot of bad stuff. Surprised you didn't know.

Also the m390 in spydercos smaller knives is usually 58hrc. Little soft when it could be 60+

8. Abyss_Fish

Abyss_Fish

Mar 14, 2019
    No returns I get. But it's an exclusive, and 100$ as opposed to the 140 on the spyderco website. it seems like they handle exclusives well.

buckeyejake likes this.
  9. Abyss_Fish

Abyss_Fish

Mar 14, 2019
    oh no.

10. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    I don't know for sure, but I suspect the only knives BBS generally sells are 1) those that have long since been unavailable anywhere else, but which are available there due to their high price; and 2) knives that were never available anywhere else that someone must have.

Patronize them if you wish (sometimes, the best lessons in life are learned "the hard way" ;)), but please don't complain when/if something goes south or isn't to your liking.

amateur blacksmith likes this.
  11. BladeBill

BladeBill Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    I was soured on them when I went looking for a Caly Jr Super Blue. I bought one at DLT for $78 (limit of 1). The next day I went looking for a second one and BB wants $199.

12. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    If it makes any difference they had a para3 tested in m390 at 59.6, but the delica is made in a different factory than the Para 3.
    Think I saw a pm2 at around 60hrc once.

Either way I'm not wasting any money on sub 61hrc m390 unless it's ht process has been validated via cut testing. I think it's a stupid trend when most companies release a super popular steel and it doesn't perform as well as the base steel they offer ie s30v. Cause they skimped on the ht because the mass market won't tell a difference.

I mean it has alot more chromium for stainlessness... But lol 58hrc ish for a premium price, no thanks. This is a problem with most of the companies making these "premium" steel sprint runs.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Alsharif and Abyss_Fish like this.
  13. Abyss_Fish

Abyss_Fish

Mar 14, 2019
    I've got no stake in BBS mate. I'm just finding out about it's existence recently, and reporting based on a precursory glance.

14. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Your OP is technically deal spotting btw. You may want to edit the price out. They are not a vendor on the forum.

15. Abyss_Fish

Abyss_Fish

Mar 14, 2019
    eh?

16. JLVL

JLVL Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Man...I was not familiar with BBB either and now y’all are making me second guess my order I placed this morning!
    :-/

17. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Source? Not saying you are wrong, but the only Rockwell tests I can find for Spyderco M390 are; a Military @61hrc, a Mule @60.5hrc, and a Para 3 @59.6hrc.

And here's a quote from Sal that disagrees with you.

buckeyejake, V-1, fonedork and 3 others like this.
  18. DJC72

DJC72 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Don’t forget the $15 shipping fee.

trackstar55 and BigKurtHaze like this.
  19. FK

FK Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    I ordered two this morning,,, spreads out the shipping fee.

The comment on smaller knives in M390 at 58Rc is more of a troll type posting looking for reaction.
    In addition, any one trial at Rc hardness testing is not very accurate,,, we would do 4-5 tests on a sample at various places and average the reading. Most hardness testing machines are not dead on accurate,,, especially the small portable units used by home testers. Calibrate by using a reference sample of known Rc hardness then test your knife blade.

Regards,
    FK

20. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    I was also unable to resist.

I would have liked to have seen a silver clip, but I reckon I can always swap it out.

fonedork likes this.