New BentoBoxShop M390 Delica

New at BentoBoxShop.com this month (I think) is an exclusive delica 4 in m390. And for only 100(ish) bucks this is a fantastic deal.
But like most things like this it feels too good to be true. Another budget m390 knife, the “GiantMouse ACE Iona” is also around a hundred dollars, but suffers from a poor heat treat.
So I’m hoping the BentoBoxShop M390 delica 4 doesn’t succumb to the same fate. Because MAN do M390-ish steels suffer below 60hrc.

edit: looks like it has. sheeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiii-

Last edited:
I ordered two. We have no reason to doubt this M390. The price is lower than a para 2 with like steel because it is a less expensive model.

what's wrong with Bento Box Shop? I don't know much about it tbh.
Do a search you'll find Alot of bad stuff. Surprised you didn't know.

Also the m390 in spydercos smaller knives is usually 58hrc. Little soft when it could be 60+

No returns I get. But it's an exclusive, and 100$ as opposed to the 140 on the spyderco website. it seems like they handle exclusives well.
I don't know for sure, but I suspect the only knives BBS generally sells are 1) those that have long since been unavailable anywhere else, but which are available there due to their high price; and 2) knives that were never available anywhere else that someone must have.

Patronize them if you wish (sometimes, the best lessons in life are learned "the hard way" ;)), but please don't complain when/if something goes south or isn't to your liking.

I was soured on them when I went looking for a Caly Jr Super Blue. I bought one at DLT for $78 (limit of 1). The next day I went looking for a second one and BB wants $199.

If it makes any difference they had a para3 tested in m390 at 59.6, but the delica is made in a different factory than the Para 3.
Think I saw a pm2 at around 60hrc once.

Either way I'm not wasting any money on sub 61hrc m390 unless it's ht process has been validated via cut testing. I think it's a stupid trend when most companies release a super popular steel and it doesn't perform as well as the base steel they offer ie s30v. Cause they skimped on the ht because the mass market won't tell a difference.

I mean it has alot more chromium for stainlessness... But lol 58hrc ish for a premium price, no thanks. This is a problem with most of the companies making these "premium" steel sprint runs.

Last edited:
I don't know for sure, but I suspect the only knives BBS generally sells are 1) those that have long since been unavailable anywhere else, but which are available there due to their high price; and 2) knives that were never available anywhere else that someone must have.

Patronize them if you wish (sometimes, the best lessons in life are learned "the hard way" ;)), but please don't complain when/if something goes south or isn't to your liking.

I've got no stake in BBS mate. I'm just finding out about it's existence recently, and reporting based on a precursory glance.

I've got no stake in BBS mate. I'm just finding out about it's existence recently, and reporting based on a precursory glance.
Your OP is technically deal spotting btw. You may want to edit the price out. They are not a vendor on the forum.

Man...I was not familiar with BBB either and now y’all are making me second guess my order I placed this morning!
:-/

Also the m390 in spydercos smaller knives is usually 58hrc. Little soft when it could be 60+

Source? Not saying you are wrong, but the only Rockwell tests I can find for Spyderco M390 are; a Military @61hrc, a Mule @60.5hrc, and a Para 3 @59.6hrc.

And here's a quote from Sal that disagrees with you.

Hi Luis,

We make the M390 and 204P as hard as we can make it.

sal

I ordered two this morning,,, spreads out the shipping fee.

The comment on smaller knives in M390 at 58Rc is more of a troll type posting looking for reaction.
In addition, any one trial at Rc hardness testing is not very accurate,,, we would do 4-5 tests on a sample at various places and average the reading. Most hardness testing machines are not dead on accurate,,, especially the small portable units used by home testers. Calibrate by using a reference sample of known Rc hardness then test your knife blade.

Regards,
FK

Back