New car / automobile buying & leasing tips for CPK'ers

Had an 06 Legacy GT that I bought brand new...was great until it swallowed a turbo at 90k. Haven't liked the looks of the newer Legacies so haven't considered them since. And now everything is CVT...not a fan.

I got a 2020 Outback in March, the XT with the turbo, I love it.
Did you have an older outback to compare it to? Just got an email from the dealership offering me KBB value on my 2018 3.6r Limited and 0% on a limited XT. It would lower my monthly payment by about $35 however I only have another year and a half until mine is paid off, and getting the XT would start the 4 years of payments all over again.

Did you have an older outback to compare it to? Just got an email from the dealership offering me KBB value on my 2018 3.6r Limited and 0% on a limited XT. It would lower my monthly payment by about $35 however I only have another year and a half until mine is paid off, and getting the XT would start the 4 years of payments all over again.
I did not, but that sounds like a good deal.

2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition Premium with a whole bunch, in fact oodles upon oodles, of miles for the year. Not really daunted by the miles because there was a substantial drop in the KBB wholesale price which was beneficial to me since I am not a high mileage driver. I could've bought a brand new one, or at least had leased one, but because I tend to purchase at the end of the lease the high money factor (translated to about 5% APR for top rated credit :( ) sucks balls. The residual values are very generous on these 4Runners (and Tacomas) for those who tend to lease and then dump at the end of their leases, making this a compensating factor for the lousy money factor.

A broker could've gotten me a brand new 4Runner Offroad Premium for almost 3K off its MSRP in combination with the current 1000 Toyota factory cash back, making it a GREAT deal on a 4Runner but my 2016 cost me almost exactly 1/2 of what they are currently MSRP'd at (sans tax, license, DMV, buy fees and transportation).

I love my Toyotas, soon I may pursue the illusive to me
3500 HO Cummins RAM 4x4. ;) truck.
I recently found a great resource for car buying with content both online and on YouTube, for free.
A father and son working to educate the people in the car buying/leasing process to understand what happens along the process, & explains "why does it take so long to buy a car?"

These guys have an excellent resource on their website that with the VIN # of the vehicles that you are considering buying, enter them and they do an "instant analysis" including how many days the vehicle has been on the dealers lot, other same models in the area, & they give YOU a starting point with their "OUT THE DOOR OFFER"
including tax, title, license, etc. , all for free.
I used it 3 times now and it says I still have "100 free analysis left".
They are not only helpful & kinda humorous but the father Ray was in the car sales business for like 40+ years I believe.

If this is not allowed please delete-
https://yourautoadvocate.com/guides/how-do-car-dealerships-make-money/

I read the first couple of posts, and despite what those posts say, I have never had a salesman tell me to get lost and I can't really imagine they would do so unless I showed up on a very busy day, maybe. I like going on rainy Tuesdays or Wednesdays if possible . . . always seem slow.

My rule of thumb when purchasing a vehicle is that if I walk out of the place and then they call me back the next day or even later that night on my cell to take my last offer, then it's probably a good deal. LOL. I've done this a couple of times. First time we were $500 apart on price when I walked out and when he called later that night I thought he would offer to split the difference and I wasn't sure what I would say. But instead he said that his manager had been too busy and didn't properly consider my offer (LOL) and if I still wanted that deal, they would take it.

As others have said, NEVER pay for any dealer add-ons like paint sealer, rustproofing, etc. Just ridiculous.

Also, I was informed that nowadays they often make a good part of their profit on a new car sale on the financing, so they are sometimes willing to offer a lower price if they think they can make it up on the financing. So the last time I bought a vehicle in 2018 I let them think I was going to finance the vehicle, being careful to never actually say this . . . and then when the price was settled, I told them I decided to pay cash after all. They were not happy, but they did not actually back out of the deal or tell me to GTFO. Good times!

I finally got my work rig- and the best deal in my life.
Morehart Murphy RAM in Durango Colorado is EXCELLENT to deal with.;)
New 2020 RAM 3500 4x4 Cab Chassis dually with Aisin transmission and 6.7 Cummins Turbo diesel.917BF5E6-75F2-4FAA-A43E-EA782EA83723.jpegB90465EF-2AE0-451F-995F-B7824196535B.jpeg
Thanks again guys for this thread, I took control of the deal start to finish, and got everything I ask for on my trade in-$20k
plus over $8500 in discounts/incentives.
Financed $32k at 1.7% thru NFCU.
27BC6654-DB2C-4320-BE93-C50DE2D04691.jpeg Am putting on a Bradford Built steel flat work bed Feb 8th

I'm thinking crawling to the malls and back when this Shitvid-19 is over. Perhaps a bit of overkill?

Apologies for the snowstorm and the blizzard conditions in the background!

DOqMJRE.jpg

Since Nathan made a comment in his post about the need to get the CPK kiddos vehicles as they are coming onto that age range and some ensuing comments, I thought that I blurb out in here for those who are currently in the market for a used car:

The used car market is currently on fire and it has been like this ever since people started to come out of the initial Covid-19 shell-shockedness around last June/July specially when the stimulus payments and packages started to seep through the economy. The added need for more personal transportation in lieu of more restricted public transportation dowsed more fuel on an already heated used car market in addition to shortage of newer cars because of factory closures and manufacturing restrictions...

It is basically a seller's market galore and if you think that you can take your time by kicking the tires and then thinking about it, more than likely you will lose that car! Nice, reliable, economical and well maintained vehicles are going to sell very fast and unless the seller has been living under a rock, trying to "steal" a used car by using hard-nosed negotiating skills will send you packing home without that car. All wholesale auction houses are currently running at a deficit in terms of total units causing inflationary wholesale price hikes culminating in higher asking prices on the lots. In case of some Toyotas such as Tacomas, Tundras and 4Runners, you may see equally priced or even higher priced ones (2020-21) if low mileage and practically like-new (crazy, I know) in some smaller markets without easy access to bigger franchise dealers carrying brand new units.

Moral of the story: if you have an older clean used vehicle, then don't give it away. If you are honing on a private party offering with the former description, you will have to pay up. There are now many professional car buying services which advertise and seek to buy private party vehicles just to take to the wholesale auctions to keep up with the demand, in some cases paying more (some cases a lot more!) than your average private party buyer! Of course as always YMMV because the market is very much localized but here in Cali, there is always a very robust demand for clean, true, straight and un-rusted vehicles.

Is the supply of new cars extraordinarily tight across all makers, or is the Ki Telluride just super-popular?

We're in the market for a new family (2 adults, 2 boys ages 8 & 10, both destined to be over 6' tall) hauler. Our 2012 Mazda5 has 220,000 miles on it, and is really too small for summer camping road-trips. The Kia Telluride gets rave reviews in the segment, but dealers seem to be asking at least $2k *above* MSRP for them. And we want the base vehicle, which is that much harder to find.

With the premiums that dealers are asking/getting right now, I'm open to branching out if there are deals to be had. The Mazda CX-9, Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, and Subaru Ascent all seem like decent options. The ability to haul 6+ people (or lots of stuff), decent MPG, tow rating of at least 3,500, and the ability to maneuver in tight urban parking lots are all criteria. Oh, and price - under $40k is our target. We'll probably keep it 10+ years.

So is it just the Telluride, or across the market? Any suggestions on buying services? Strategies?

Back