New ESEE DPx H•E•S•T Folder

Looks like a very well thought out knife. Is it possible to snag the "bottle opener" on one's pocket and open the knife in "wave" fashion?

Looks like it might work

Just out of curiosity - is this thing still slated to make the production date of December 2010? I want one badly and am saving cash for it. I'd love to get one before Christmas.

Just out of curiosity - is this thing still slated to make the production date of December 2010? I want one badly and am saving cash for it. I'd love to get one before Christmas.

its still slated for december 2010. the 1st run is pretty much sold out everywhere. you might be able to find a place with some left, but good luck.
The limited edition run(of 250) will be releasing the unclaimed numbers in a week or so.

its still slated for december 2010. the 1st run is pretty much sold out everywhere. you might be able to find a place with some left, but good luck.
The limited edition run(of 250) will be releasing the unclaimed numbers in a week or so.

Oh really? I assumed that the original 250 were already gone (per DPXGear's website, they were sold out). Who is releasing the unclaimed and how do I get in on that?

Oh really? I assumed that the original 250 were already gone (per DPXGear's website, they were sold out). Who is releasing the unclaimed and how do I get in on that?

You'll have to get into a pretty long line. Payment deadline for the limited version is the 15th. After that they will release all unclaimed numbers. There is a sticky at the top of the main page.

You'll have to get into a pretty long line. Payment deadline for the limited version is the 15th. After that they will release all unclaimed numbers. There is a sticky at the top of the main page.

I appreciate that, but I guess I was under the impression that the first 250 were being sold before December and that the rest of us would get our chance at the production models in December - I'm starting to think that might not be the case.

Either way, I've never wanted a folder as bad as I've wanted this thing, so I went ahead and put my name on the leftover list - early run or production, I want one.

I appreciate that, but I guess I was under the impression that the first 250 were being sold before December and that the rest of us would get our chance at the production models in December - I'm starting to think that might not be the case.

Either way, I've never wanted a folder as bad as I've wanted this thing, so I went ahead and put my name on the leftover list - early run or production, I want one.

The pre-orders on them started a while back, and sold out pretty quick. I wasn't sure I would be able to afford it, but I pre-ordered one anyway. I now have the money stashed away waiting for it to be released. It is one of those things I thought I 'must have'

The pre-orders on them started a while back, and sold out pretty quick. I wasn't sure I would be able to afford it, but I pre-ordered one anyway. I now have the money stashed away waiting for it to be released. It is one of those things I thought I 'must have'

Yeah - I'm late to the game in learning about this knife because I've not ever been that into folders (I'm a fixed-blade guy), but this knife is everything I've ever wanted in an EDC folder.

Just out of curiosity, the limited edition knives were going for what $250? Where as the production models are $175?

I'd pay either price for either knife at this point - I just want one before Christmas. I'm hoping I made the waiting list but I ain't holding my breath.

Just out of curiosity, the limited edition knives were going for what $250? Where as the production models are $175?

Yep, that is what they are going for. :thumbup:

Hope you can find one that isn't spoken for yet. :thumbup:

What is the difference between the limited addition versus the standard ones other than being numbered? Also will this folder be an ongoing production or is it a sprint run type of deal where people buy them all up and resell them for twice the amount? Speaking solely on the non-ltd versions ofcourse.

What is the difference between the limited addition versus the standard ones other than being numbered? Also will this folder be an ongoing production or is it a sprint run type of deal where people buy them all up and resell them for twice the amount? Speaking solely on the non-ltd versions ofcourse.

no clue however, i expect the production version to remain a regular part of the product line.

unlike Spyderco, which has a huge product line, ESEE only has a relatively small number of designs. once all the tooling is done to produce them, it would make sense to me to continue to produce them as long as there's a demand.

Spyderco seems to do limited "sprint runs" that are usually variations of a regular model, perhaps with unique scales or blade steel for that version, but the tooling is al the same as the regular version.

however, Rat Cutlery (before they changed the name to ESEE) had some limited edition slipjoints several years ago that were actually produced by Queen Cutlery and IIRC only 250 or 500 were evr made and there was no "production version"... however, i think there was a regular version of that knife available from Queen, or perhaps the blade steel was different.

sooo, i'm hoping/expecting it will stay a part of the regular product line for many years.

What is the difference between the limited addition versus the standard ones other than being numbered?

Ltd edition you could choose either sterile or mr. dp version.
Adjustment tool is supposed to be different
Ltd edition comes with other goodies as well: display container, lanyard, tool holder, certificate

There is also different coating on the blade and black g-10 for LE folders. Regular production will have OD/green g-10.

To clear up any confusion:
The pre-order deadline closed on Monday, Nov.15th at Midnight PST. As soon as we know availability of the LE Folder, everyone will be contacted. If you requested to be included on the Waiting List, and you're still interested in purchasing the LE Folder, make sure you've sent your Name and Email address to us and reference the Name you use on the forum so we know you've responded. We have a list of BladeForums people but still need Name and Email info from some of you. Receipt of your email with contact info will be acknowledged! Send your info to customerservice@dpxgear.com
Thanks,
Linda
DPxGearTeam

Back