• Serrated Cqc-15

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bulldog (possible big bulldog)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So my birthday is coming up and I'm getting a few bucks plus I've been saving up and I've been looking for a new folder. Im stuck between a paramilitary 2 or emerson. I ignored spyderco for a while till i bought a manix 2 a few months ago and fell in love with them again. And I've never had an emerson before and have been wanting one. I own a zt 0620 and 0630 and i love them but i want the real thing now. I've had my eye on a gentleman jim or bulldog. Maybe a cqc-7 but i have to check it out in person first. My new folder will be mainly for edc but also self defense. I know an emerson commander is popular but not really my taste. Any suggestions ? And i feel like if i dont pull the trigger on an emerson now when i have a little more to spend i won't buy one for awhile. But i also want a pm2 soon too so I'm in a dilemma

Well, you ain't gonna be happy until you try an Emerson, so go do it and get it out of your system. I've had a few, and they are decent knives, although I don't go for chisel grind.

Well, you ain't gonna be happy until you try an Emerson, so go do it and get it out of your system. I've had a few, and they are decent knives, although I don't go for chisel grind.
What do you think about a cqc-15? im considering that as an option too for an emerson

Imo the cqc 7 performs poorly as an edc. Id get the bull dog or big bulldog instead. A para 2 is hallf the price so easier to get in the future.

Imo the cqc 7 performs poorly as an edc. Id get the bull dog or big bulldog instead. A para 2 is hallf the price so easier to get in the future.
Will the bulldog be good for self defense though ? seems a little short but i love that knife as an edc

I really like the Shaman, opens fast, great handle and lock. It's bigger than it seems without being too bulky.
qnv6lf.jpg

I’ll just let you know now that you’ll get a lot of “blades are the worst tools for SD ever. you’re better off shitting and pissing your pants and maybe the smell will deter your attacker.” Get whatever the hell you want.
Haha you're right. I'll check out the bulldog when i got to the store next time

If self defense is a primary concern go for a wave opening
My ZT0630 is what I would consider a good edc/self defense knife

The Emerson Horseman is lighter and better for EDC but I have been disappointed by the quality of the particular model I got ... and at the end the chisel grind on the right side was not working for me

I have enjoyed the CQC-4k from Kershaw

If EDC is the primary concern I think any knife with a good locking mechanism can work

But IMO whatever knife you will pick, that is your training that will tick the self defense box....
Appropriate mindset, physical condition and skills are more important that the tool itself

nImho the onlyn folding knives that are barely adequate for self defense are waved folders. A great option is the Spyderco waved Endura.

thank you all for your input. And i just remembered a spyderco yojimbo 2. It seems to be a good edc with the Wharncliffe (never had a Wharncliffe before besides a leek which some call a drop point) and its designed for self defense too? Or should i try and save up a little more and get a mini cqc 7 plus a yojimbo 2? Or something else?

The PM2, an Emerson or a Yo2 are all good knives depending on the purpose.

In regards to SD, may I ask which knife training regimen, you have been following these last years?

If you havent trained religiously, I suggest you dont plan on getting in a knife fight.

Maybe a gun would be better, where legal.

Then train hard with that. Letting an attacker within knife reach might end badly for one of you or both.

You ask whether the Yo2 is an SD knife. It most certainly is and one of the better ones.

Since you dont know, google and YT Michael Janich demonstrating the Yo.

Its a specialized knife in some ways and though its fine for EDC purposes, I would go for another knife for general EDC purposes.

I suggest a good alrounder like the PM2, you mentioned.

Its an ok price, weigh next to nothing hence is a breeze to carry and it just works so well for so many tasks.

The other knives mentioned are all fine but the PM2 is a knife you owe yourself to try out for EDC.

Last edited:
I think the 630 is a pretty strong SD folder as it is. I carry mine exclusively as a defensive back up simply because the wave feature is so well done that it snaps open on the draw even when all I'm really trying to do is quietly pull the knife from my pocket without opening it.

I keep a 450 as a dress knife, a 909 as a hiking folder, a 350 as a work knife...the 630 is my go-to "tactical" folder. For my needs, I dunno if I could find a better knife short of a fixed blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back