New For 2017: Cold Steel Frenzy (XL) Folder.

At least the names of the newer CS offerings are more exciting , e.g. "Colossus" and "Frenzy " . Much more impressive than boring ol' Espada or Talwar !

Just my $.02: I think the new Frenzy looks fantastic! Not only is it a signature Cold Steel extra-large folder, but it appears to have a much narrower closed profile, a feature often neglected on the Tri-Ad XLs (by design, in most instances, though the lock precludes too slender a handle). Also, I like the introduction of the multi-colored G-10. Cold Steel has definitely listened to the fans/critics who complained of drab black handles as the only offerings on folders.

What really blew me away about this announcement was its placement. Cold Steel mentioned (with a picture, no less!) in Blade magazine?! Really?!! Is this the result of the new Managing Editor? If so, welcome aboard, Ms. Healy!

-Steve

Just my $.02: I think the new Frenzy looks fantastic! Not only is it a signature Cold Steel extra-large folder, but it appears to have a much narrower closed profile, a feature often neglected on the Tri-Ad XLs (by design, in most instances, though the lock precludes too slender a handle). Also, I like the introduction of the multi-colored G-10. Cold Steel has definitely listened to the fans/critics who complained of drab black handles as the only offerings on folders.

+1 - I like the blade shape. Wharncliffe with a point. Obviously if you want a blade with belly, wharny is not for you.

I would honestly like to understand what the "philosophy of use" is for the Frenzy . What can this knife do better than what is already available ?

I understand the collector value of an XL wharnie in designer colors , but what is it for ? Very fine tip control is best in a short blade and surely this is not an optimal martial blade pattern .

Please , am I missing something ?

I dunno. That yojimbo knife is made for a purpose. This one has quite a bit more reach. I'll add one to the pile.

I would honestly like to understand what the "philosophy of use" is for the Frenzy . What can this knife do better than what is already available ?

I understand the collector value of an XL wharnie in designer colors , but what is it for ? Very fine tip control is best in a short blade and surely this is not an optimal martial blade pattern .

Based on the description in the magazine, it's modeled on some kinda Japanese thrusting knife, so apparently, it IS meant as a martial blade.

Last edited:
Supposedly based on the Kabutowari - but this knife is no " helmet-splitter " . The blade pattern may be somewhat similar but the historic kabutowari were literally mean to bash-in and or pry open the helmets and armor of Samurai . From full sword to short sword length and very sturdy . Often had a hook "can opener " near the handle - looked a bit like a crowbar .

Whatever the origin, one thing I can say is that I like and find very useful wharncliffe blades, and not just for fine point work. Utility work. Sometimes I want to initiate a cut and draw the point and following edge deeper without sliding the edge of a belly near the tip along the surface I am cutting. (cutting thick rubber horse stall mats). Wharnies do that well (cut deeper). Janich demonstrated the performance benefits of that cutting mode for SD purposes in his Ronin/Yojimbo blades. I also like a straight edge for wood shaping/planing kinds of cuts. I have fixed blade (seax style) like that and one thing cold steel offers is folders that give that longer length in a convenient folding format. That is what I liked about this design. I like the Talwar XL as a folding slashing blade (my toolbelt machete), I like this one for the seax/wharncliffe staight edge with an acute tip (i.e. not sheepsfoot).
If the design does not look like your thang, you will have lots of other ways to spend your hard-earned $, naturally. Variety means choices.

I almost forgot, aren't wharncliffes insanely easy to sharpen? I sharpened a cheapo straight edge folder for a buddy at work on my Sharpmaker and it worked so well. I'm hoping that CS does what they normally do with their XL folders, make a 4" companion. If so I'll buy both in a heartbeat, I'll be really tickled if they could both be had in blue/black G10!

Whatever the origin, one thing I can say is that I like and find very useful wharncliffe blades, and not just for fine point work. Utility work. Sometimes I want to initiate a cut and draw the point and following edge deeper without sliding the edge of a belly near the tip along the surface I am cutting. (cutting thick rubber horse stall mats). Wharnies do that well (cut deeper). Janich demonstrated the performance benefits of that cutting mode for SD purposes in his Ronin/Yojimbo blades. I also like a straight edge for wood shaping/planing kinds of cuts. I have fixed blade (seax style) like that and one thing cold steel offers is folders that give that longer length in a convenient folding format. That is what I liked about this design. I like the Talwar XL as a folding slashing blade (my toolbelt machete), I like this one for the seax/wharncliffe staight edge with an acute tip (i.e. not sheepsfoot).
If the design does not look like your thang, you will have lots of other ways to spend your hard-earned $, naturally. Variety means choices.

Hey dogrunner ! What you've said makes some sense to me . Maybe I just need to try out a longer type wharnie or seax . I'm an ol' dog but I actually like to learn new tricks when I'm able .

Not my cup of tea. But please C.S., keep bringing out those big folders. :thumbup:

Great looking knife but the price seems a bit steep.

I agree, the price is steep. I've been lamenting Cold Steel's decision to dump Aus 8 ever since it happened. However, to judge from the hysterically positive reaction on this forum to the more expensive steels, you'd swear that the majority of people on this forum are rich boys who can't wait to spend their money on features that will make absolutely no practical difference to them.

TNP'er?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

To the extent I did sorta steal his terminology .
Haha but it really is a very good term to describe the meaning. I also use it often and people just look at me funny (btw I'm from South Africa so there's not a lot of TNP'ers over here)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I agree, the price is steep. I've been lamenting Cold Steel's decision to dump Aus 8 ever since it happened. However, to judge from the hysterically positive reaction on this forum to the more expensive steels, you'd swear that the majority of people on this forum are rich boys who can't wait to spend their money on features that will make absolutely no practical difference to them.

Better edge retention and less maintenance. Also, the DLC coating holds up MUCH better than the teflon coating.

If you keep an eye on the exchange here, you can find screaming deals on lightly, to never used Cold Steel folders in XHP. In fact, I got a lightly used Recon 1 Tanto in XHP on here for $40 shipped, and a NIB XHP Talwar for $45. I also got a NIB Aluminum Handled XHP Ti-Lite for $45 on the exchange.

You don't have to be rich, to add the newer steel to your collection. You just have to be patient with your eyes open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Practical doesn't have much to do with it for many knife enthusiasts. Super steels get people excited. Look at your knife collection. Is it practical to own the number of knives you have? I agree there's a never-ending push for the latest greatest steel that at times seems absurd but that's the nature of this hobby. It's what sells.

You don't have to be rich, to add the newer steel to your collection. You just have to be patient with your eyes open.

True, and it makes you think twice about buying new from a dealer. The resale value is pretty poor. Unless you're sure it'll be a keeper.

It resembles the Extrema Ratio Dark Talon which is a modern version of old "Romano" style italian dueling knife. Aesthetically I prefer this CS and this has much stronger lock compared to ER.

Back