New GEC #14 Boys Knife

I was just looking at my#25 thinking how perfect a fit it would be with a caplifter...

Draggat, thanks for the response. I should've expanded. I am aware of the general differences between the three productions.

I remember for sure seeing three versions of the 38 John Chapman/ Orchard Gem knife with a Lick Creek label and bar shield. I also feel like I've seen a 73 version possibly. Where does this Lick Creek brand arise from?

That's a nice size for my watch pocket or dress pants, I have found my sweet spot to be about 3" for those knives so this is perfect! I love the long pull, but do wish the secondary blade is larger...

Draggat, thanks for the response. I should've expanded. I am aware of the general differences between the three productions.

I remember for sure seeing three versions of the 38 John Chapman/ Orchard Gem knife with a Lick Creek label and bar shield. I also feel like I've seen a 73 version possibly. Where does this Lick Creek brand arise from?

To the best of my knowledge, Lick Creek is where a fellow named Lyle Fry grew up. He is the one who commissioned the #38 farmer jacks with the Lick Creek branding. He's also a member here and maybe will chime in at some point. He's a very nice guy! :thumbup: Far as I know, those were the only 'Lick Creek' branded knives made so far. You are right, there were 3 handle covers made (antique yellow jig, smooth white bone and ebony).

There is a lot of info about Lick Creek in this thread here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1271341-38-Special!!

I'm still sticking with my assumption that Lick Creek Boys Knife will be the standard name of the knife. I have been famously wrong, but when the name is plastered to the drawing, I feel it's pretty self explanatory. :D

I reckon that's gonna be one of the Taylor LLC knives. I wonder if Lyle gave them permission to use Lick Creek?! :confused:

Yes,I gave Bill permission,and I know nothing about Taylor being involved or not being involved...

I will elaborate some now and hopefully more later. For now,I had posted this on AAPK recently for those not aware of the history of Lick Creek, WV:

I was born in this little house on the front label,taken from these pictures. That was Papaw and Mamaw Fry's home-place up the holler,our "Little house"( It was called that long before the tv series, 1952) closer to the road. Me and Daddy down by the creek fish'n, which we did a lot... I only have one memory before Daddy started taking me fish'n,and it's so early you wouldn't believe it.

Daddy and Papaw Fry could crouch like that all day long,a trait I didn't inherit. I grin

I enjoyed the labeling probably more than the knife itself,but I liked the rendition. Thanks Bill

6PvkXe6.jpg

That's Papaw Fry in front of the "Little house" I was born in.

apVnT73.jpg

That's Mamaw Fry on the porch of the addition,it's funny,as she had a "new" electric wringer washer, but cooked on an old wood cook stove.

I believe that's my cousin Dale in the yard,he was one of my cousins that had been in that apple tree with me. He was a helicopter gunner in Vietnam; he never made it home.

Iy0MC0w.jpg

Thank you for the backstory and photos, Lyle. Bill must have enjoyed it as well since he chose it for the name of the new boy's knife.

Just ignore the references to Taylor It was an unrelated joke posted in an April Fools day topic. It shouldn't have carried over to this topic.

Sign me up for a little Barlow Charlie. How about an scratted ancient little one ;-))))

Best regards

Robin

You're killing me here! Just when I think I'm satisfied with what I have...

I love it!! I'm going to have to get me a "Little Lyle" or two!!:D

(He Grins!!:D)

Lyle and Steve, thank you both for the info. Lyle great background and photos. So much packed in those pics. That porch makes me want some ice tea and to rock in the breeze. Sorry to hear about your cousin. I much appreciate all our veterans for all they have done. BTW Lyle, I really like that you and Charlie chose all steel on the 38, I always gravitate to all steel. I'd love to see more of it at GEC. I have Grinling and a Willamette so I didn't think I needed another, I really like the curves of the 38- feels great in hand, I may need to find one of those gorgeous bar shielded steel pruners.

Last edited:
Thanks for the confirmation Lyle, that answered my question.

:)

If I read the diagram correctly it looks like the pen will ride behind the main. I definitely like this setup.

enjoyed the story and photos. I've visited west Virginia only 5 days of my life, and my immediate take-away was that there is no flat land and those hills beyond your little house are reaffirmation.

Very excited for this pattern. My hope is for a clipped point variation sometime soon.

Covers

Rust Red Jigged Bone

Antique Yellow Jigged Bone

Gabon Ebony

OD Green Linen Micarta

Nifebrite Acrylic

Hit Sure for a Antique Yellow single... John :thumbup:

Back