New GEC #14 Boys Knife

I am trying to hold out for the clip version. It's not easy.

As for a knife being too small, I guess it depends on what you are using it for. It's tricky to cut a sandwich or fillet a fish with a short blade. I find it's even trickier to remove a splinter with a long blade. The closer my hand is to the tip, the more control I feel I have. The Coyote is my go-to clamshell package opener. :thumbup:

But to each his own, and full disclosure: I have little lady hands. :)

I got a splinter out of my wife's finger the other day with a #47 Viper, which is certainly not small, but it has a perfect pointy tip for it (and I was holding it by the blade to get my hand close to the tip - maybe not the wisest choice, but it worked - so I guess I see your point :D)

I'm also really hoping for a clip point #14, but I doubt I'll be holding out for it. I'm sure I'll pick up one or two of these even if the first run is just the spear point.

The 14 is generating a lot of reaction, this is always a good sign

cbr1000 I agree, the 83 is a fantastic smaller lockback and I need a Tidioute Purple Sage really badly..But it dwarfs the Coyote when placed alongside...

Halfneck what's wrong with me? How could I forget the 33 one of my favourites??? But this too towers over the smaller GECs as like the 83 it has a longer handle. Take the CASE or RR Mini Copperheads, they're small but they have quite long handles, small knives need enough length in the handle and thickness in the scales to be comfortable. I hope the 14 will have thick handles as it would make a big difference.

Rachel That comp photo is helpful, but if the Kabar is 14 size it is going to be borderline tiddler.

jrawk It's excellent whenever somebody really enjoys their knives, good that you share your enthusiasm as it all help define the picture. Traditionals are so complex and varied, that's the appeal.

Here's an original Northfield of mine that may or may not have a bit of influence on the new 14s.

Here's an original Northfield of mine that may or may not have a bit of influence on the new 14s.

Beauty of a piece Dan.

Here's a 3 1/8" Custom Erickson Barlow that's 0.055" larger than the boys knife for a no.15 and "no.14" size comparison.

tumblr_o5livyubZJ1rzq6m9o1_1280.jpg

Just noticed today that these will be steel bolster and liners, pretty cool!

Please inform me. I know the 15's, at least the one's I have, are steel lined and bolstered. I can see the strength benefit of steel liners but what are the benefits of steel bolsters? I'm fairly new to GEC and I guess I'm accustomed to the look of brass liners against the cover material and the springs.

Thanks,
Rick

Please inform me. I know the 15's, at least the one's I have, are steel lined and bolstered. I can see the strength benefit of steel liners but what are the benefits of steel bolsters? I'm fairly new to GEC and I guess I'm accustomed to the look of brass liners against the cover material and the springs.

Thanks,
Rick
other than heft/strength it's style now a days. 1095 steel liners and blisters will patina along with the blade and back spring .. or they can be easily buffed for a shiny silver presentation. I personally like the seamless look of steel liners around the backspring. Traditionally I think steel construction was cheaper to produce than brass, but I may have that backwards.

23acbf64af3d651d05b09784e7d233f4.jpg

Just noticed today that these will be steel bolster and liners, pretty cool!

Thanks for the heads up, just added a 3rd reservation! I love the all steel knives. This is bound to be another classic knife, especially in the long pull, bare head spearpoint. The baby version of the #15 and #77.

Now I am just waiting for the big 4 1/4" of the same style, only more along the lines of a stabber Jack blade :D

Whatever. I just reserved a yellow single. Would rather sell it off when it's too small than regret not being able to get the antique yellow.

jrawk,
Thanks for the information. I like my 15 patterns but haven't used any of them enough to develop a patina on the blades or anywhere else.
Take care,
Rick

I have an old (circa 1916) Robeson 2 blade Jack knife that is identical to the #14's specs. It actually feels much bigger in the hand than the size suggests. I'll have to dig it out and post a pic of it next to a #15. Anyway, I reserved a single in ebony and a double in nat micarta. I believe this pattern is going to be a great edc.

Any hints or ideas of what the configurations of the SFO's will be, and who's they will be?
Thanks,
Rick

I can't speak for cbr1000 but I would assume that like the #15 and #77 frames the #14 will be the host of many variations in the future: Barlows, Harness Jacks, Beer Scouts, OH MY!

I have an old (circa 1916) Robeson 2 blade Jack knife that is identical to the #14's specs. It actually feels much bigger in the hand than the size suggests. I'll have to dig it out and post a pic of it next to a #15.

Well I was wrong, as usual. The Robeson is 3.25; however, this old scout is the same size as the #14. A #15 farm boy for comparison.

IMG_20160419_155911.jpg

IMG_20160419_155837.jpg

I am committed "in some part" to the knife,but not committed to a SFO ,yet..... figure that one out

Back