New HK Axis Knife, but Not by Benchmade?!

HK Exemplar by Hogue Knives. They're not calling it the Axis but it sure looks like it from the pick and the article mentions the patent expiring last year too. Here's a look-
Blank-Diagram-HK-Exemplar.png

And the link-http://knifenews.com/hogue-to-bring-back-hk-knives-at-shot-show-2018/
Wow, I can't believe somebody went for it. MSRP $169.96 to $149.96. I wonder if Benchmade is going to do anything?

Well there you go. Benchmade can't and won't do anything. I think it's pretty much settled that they no longer have exclusive rights to the lock.

Last edited:
Not sure bout you guys, but I really thought there would be many other makers jumping on the AXIS bandwagon. After all, it is just about the slickest locking system out there.
Not much fizz at all.
Joe

Not sure bout you guys, but I really thought there would be many other makers jumping on the AXIS bandwagon. After all, it is just about the slickest locking system out there.
Not much fizz at all.
Joe
Yeah. I kinda wonder if this will open the floodgates.

Not much fizz at all.
Joe
Well, at this point a lot of them have their own version. Ball bearing, piston, arc, hawk, ant, etc. Why invest in the tooling for an Axis lock when you've already invested in a workaround?

Hogue makes a nice knife but this belongs in a display next to the cash register at a gas station. Since this isn't a Benchmade knife despite its familiar lock it's a fish out of water here!

(This comment was in the thread merged here from the Benchmade forum)

Last edited:
I love my HK 14715. If I see another on the forum, I will buy another color and/or backup.

I've never owned a Hogue so I can't comment on the F&F or QC but I was sad to see BM drop H&K.

As for those 3 new knives = meh. I won't be buying any of those.

I agree, I would barely pay $10 for the knife pictured, it just looks cheap IMO. $150??? Not a chance.

I wouldn't mind seeing how Hogue makes the H&K line, but it seems like they are taking more cues than the lock on their three new H&K knives:

Blank-Diagram-Copy-of-Page-2.png

Blank-Diagram-HK-Hadron.png

HK-Knives-is-Back-620x400.png

The blades look great, but those handles?...
It's Hogue, and in the end they'll be great knives that will more than get the job done but these will never win any beauty contests.

I'd be interested in how the Exemplar feels in hand. I like some of the Hogue knives but the ergonomics are all wrong for me. If I had to guess what steel they're going to use I'd say 154CM/CPM154.

First thought "Meh." also am I the only one who doesn't really care for Non-Benchmade Axis Locks? I feel like the two are so synonymous together that I feel like if I want and Axis Lock Knife I'd just get a Benchmade.

Yeah sorry... these knives do look pretty gas station/ flea market to me. I love how smooth the axis lock is, but I've never seen one with much of a detent and those omega springs seem a bit flimsy when you compare to a frame, liner, or back lock.
Still, stronger than a slip-joint and I've never had one of those close on my fingers. I don't pry or hammer a folder, and use it to cut in the open position with all the pressure going towards the stop pin.

See, this is what I do... talk my self in and out of an axis lock. They are very very smooth and fast opening or closing and still manually operated. Love the action, but I've only handled BMs which feel a bit hollow/ flimsy to me anyway. Seriously, my Endura/ Delica feels more solid than my BM Grip. Don't know why cause I know the Griptilian is probably physically stronger. I'm interested to see knives with a higher level of fit and finish and a more solid feel incorporating an axis lock.

From the looks of it, it appears as if Hogue might be also borrowing Benchmade's tactic of placing the HK line down market from their regular line of knives. This is something I never understood when Benchmade did it and I hope Hogue doesn't go this route with all of their HK offerings. It just doesn't make sense to me. HK is well known as a high quality firearms manufacturer, with collectors who often have deep pockets and are willing to pay a premium for what they consider to be a superior product. Hell, their motto is "No Compromise" after all. That just doesn't mesh well IMO with having the HK line as a lower tier budget friendly offering with inferior quality and materials. I would be happy to own a HK knife made by Hogue if it has the quality that I am used to with Hogue knives, however I have no interest whatsoever in owning an HK knife that feels cheap and has plastic handles.

IMO, Benchmade had it right when they first introduced the HK line. The HK Snody AXIS was my first Benchmade, and is still to this day one of the nicest Benchmades I've owned. This was a very robust feeling knife, with a dead smooth action, and the quality of build was instantly apparent upon handling it. I'm not sure why they decided to go a different direction with their later HK offerings.

NRkXrEo.jpg

Back