New knife from Queen?

Even nowadays, there are folks in Texas who are convinced that their Moore Makers are made in Matador, Texas because that's what's stamped on the tangs. :rolleyes:

So.... do we know each other?

I actually thought that, up until I started lurking around a certain "knife forum".... cough, cough.... :oops:

I grew up in Lubbock, about 80 miles from Matador. In Texas, we drive that far for lunch sometimes... I know that "back East" you could be in three different states in that distance, but out here, it's just a hop and a skip... :D

Has anyone read the SPECS?:eek:
What does this mean??o_O
(quote the specs)
⚠Warning: This product can expose you to Lead, which is known by the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov (Wash hands after handling) (unquote)
All I see from reading this whole thread are Red Flags!!
I think I'll pass!!:p
Many people have told me, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!!":mad: I believe those people!!:D

What does this mean??o_O
(quote the specs)
⚠Warning: This product can expose you to Lead, which is known by the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov (Wash hands after handling) (unquote)
Many people have told me, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!!":mad: I believe those people!!:D
I've seen that warning on a number of products, including Buck knives.

"About California Proposition 65

Proposition 65, officially the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, is a law that requires warnings be provided to California consumers when they might be exposed to chemicals identified by California as causing cancer or reproductive toxicity. The warnings are intended to help california consumers make informed decisions about their exposures to these chemicals from the products they use. The California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) administers the Proposition 65 program and publishes the listed chemicals, which includes more that 850 chemicals. In August 2016, OEHHA adopted new regulations, effective on August 30, 2018, which change the information required in Proposition 65 warnings.

We are providing the following warning for products linked to this page:

WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Tools

California requires the following notice:

WARNING: Some dust created by power sanding, sawing, grinding, drilling, and other construction activities contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Some examples of these chemicals are:

• lead from lead-based paints,
  • crystalline silica from bricks and cement and other masonry products, and
  • arsenic and chromium from chemically treated lumber.

Your risk from exposure to these chemicals varies, depending on how often you do this type of work. To reduce your exposure, work in a well-ventilated area and with approved safety equipment, such as dust masks that are specially designed to filter out microscopic particles."

Thanks for informing me boys and girls!!
After a few of those warnings it must be like "crying Wolf"!! - no one pays attention any more!!:eek:
:D
Pretty much. :rolleyes: In theory, I'm in favor of notifying the public about hazards. But how can you make an informed decision with a vague warning about 850 possible chemicals, with no description of which chemical and in what amount? So yeah, nobody pays any attention to those labels once they realize they're on almost every product sold.

Yup. When you say everything causes cancer, then the warnings are pointless, but if you want to sell in California then you have to do it. I've seen those warnings are both Case and Buck. I seriously doubt that my Buck is going to give me cancer :rolleyes:

California Prop 65 is a law requiring a warning on any product which include materials that according to California may potentially be hazardous to your health ie everything.

On more knife and Queen related notes I had hoped to see something more than just the name. It is kind of like the hugely disappointing Colonel Coon knives which when made by Queen had more expectation of quality that measures up to the names history but now they are made by Bear & Sons I believe and again it is more a a Colonel Coon in name only. The Queen made CC knives had more spirit with the higher quality aim and for a knife that is using an old name it should have an aim that includes a spirit worthy of the name.

Last edited:
Thanks for informing me boys and girls!!
After a few of those warnings it must be like "crying Wolf"!! - no one pays attention any more!!:eek:
:D
You nailed it Charles.
Warning: nails can cause extreme physical damage to humans please use correct nail driving implement.
Warning: Nail driving implements may cause painful impact injuries if used incorrectly or carelessly.
Warning: Misuse or overusage if warnings may cause extreme headaches or laryngitis from shouting rude words.
Warning: The use of profane or offensive words may result in the users incarceration by law enforcement agencies.
Warning : Incarceration in penal facilities may result in personal injury inflicted by other inmates ...
etc etc I could go on as most if you are aware...:eek::eek::rolleyes:...
Warning : Over abundance of warnings may lead to nothing ever getting done ever again due to too many f@#$$ng warnings.

I loathe the "buying of names"
And I especially detest nanny states eg Australia.
Meakos Theorum: the more responsibility that is taken away from the individual the less responsible they become.
God Im bored.....Im so bored if go to the beach Charles Atlas doesnt kick sand on me ...he rubs wax in my face.
I received a response to my email. Here it is verbatim (I left out the responder's name.)

"There seems to be some as yet unrevealed secrets around the new Queen Mini Trapper Pilot Test Run. I think you are probably right that we, SMKW, own that brand now. Or maybe just a share of it. Who makes them? Some evidence points toward Bear & Son Cutlery, Alabama, U.S.A.. More Queen models should be coming.

I could be wrong.

Thank you for asking."

So there y'all are. Clears that up, eh? o_O

Id call that mealy mouthed but that would be rude...to meal worms.

I received my response from the seller...
My order cannot be cancelled once it has been placed.
So, it looks like I'll be getting one, which I'm still kind of excited and curious about.
However, I'm not happy with the seller and probably will send no more business their way.
Cancel the CC transaction at your financial institution.

There could be a certain unpleasant irony in the situation whereby Queen, a revered cutlery company who frequently used to take on work for others - Black Box Winchester, CASE et al. Is now being made in name only by somebody else, somewhere else.

As for those who criticise the Internet for enabling people to have an opinion without evidence," let's give the knife a chance and remain silent until it arrives etc.." Well OK if the knife is good, if it is authentic and if it adds to the tradition of Traditionals alright. But, there are too many questionable aspects around its origins and intent.Masquerading under an extinct name strikes me as faux in the extreme, even cheap. For instance, I admire Lionsteel from Italy whose interpretations of Traditional knives using modern materials and methods are not to others' tastes but they haven't bought up an extinct name such as Cattaraugus, Turner etc and put out models under that guise. No, they've added to the tradition by being authentic and different. Putting out a knife that is run of the mill, made by somebody else or is assembled using parts from who knows where is NOT in the tradition of being a flourishing Cutlery company which Queen was, this is not a Queen knife. To use a car analogy, would a tiny electric car made up of parts from all over the world and badged Packard be a real Packard and adding to American automotive heritage? No, it would be a manner of grave-robbing:eek::D

What does this mean??o_O
(quote the specs)
P38warning would be more appropriate! LOL
I 'm still frightened by this warning on a glow-in-ze-dark RR box. :)
Glow.jpg

Back