NEW MEMBER THREAD! If you're new to the forum post it here.

Outstanding. Perhaps someone on this forum will finally be able to tell us what the best steel is!!!

I jest of course.....it is just a topic that rears its head once or twice a month (week?) somewhere on this forum, and leads to some interesting discussion much along the lines of the perpetual Ford vs. Chevy debate.

Welcome to the madness!!!

Welcome to BF! When you find out what the best steel type is...let us all know. :)

Enjoy your time here...:D

Gee thanks you had to find something else to make my wallet leap out of my pocket! Of course I had to order the book. I got a "like new" copy for $25 on Amazon which is better than $39 at least. But seriously it looks like a great book and I love to read about knives. Looking forward to it.
Fantastisch ! once read in totality,
betcha you'ld be helping to
answer some newbie's questions
like an old hand in no time :)

Hello all I just want to introduce myself. I recently decided to learn more about steel types so I bought a book called Knife Engineering by Dr. Larrin Thomas.
Well, hello and welcome. You have picked up a fine piece of literature, written by one of the best.... He goes way beyond my casual interest in steels, but I enjoy reading his posts...always fun and informative..
My knife interests seem to be more expensive than your own, but different strokes, and there are some very fine blades to be had for $30, such as the RAT 1.
There are lots of fine folks here, and an entire range of interests.

Outstanding. Perhaps someone on this forum will finally be able to tell us what the best steel is!!!

I jest of course.....it is just a topic that rears its head once or twice a month (week?) somewhere on this forum, and leads to some interesting discussion much along the lines of the perpetual Ford vs. Chevy debate.

Welcome to the madness!!!

P.S. FORD.

Well, the same Dr. Thomas that wrote the knife steel book also happens to have designed what could be the best knife steel... it's still early days but the feedback so far is very encouraging. Read about it in this thread:

I will be happy to post what I am learning about steel. But I think it will take me some time to get through this book. It is very technical.

Well, hello and welcome. You have picked up a fine piece of literature, written by one of the best.... He goes way beyond my casual interest in steels, but I enjoy reading his posts...always fun and informative..
My knife interests seem to be more expensive than your own, but different strokes, and there are some very fine blades to be had for $30, such as the RAT 1.
There are lots of fine folks here, and an entire range of interests.
Yes I am somewhat of a low rent collector. The most expensive knife I own was $400. But I thoroughly enjoy my sub $100 knives. And I am moving up in the world, I have either sold or are selling my Paki damascus (except for four of them that also have damascus handles. I love the way they look but I don't carry them.) The rest - gone or going.

Hello, I’m also new and wanted to introduce myself. Canadian. Coming from watch collecting and expanding into knives. Started with a leatherman and a blur from years ago. Jumped right into a crk small 21 hoping it would be a one knife collection. Now I’m down the rabbit hole and expanding. Looking forward to learning more and starting up this new hobby.

New from New England. Been collecting knives for years, I have forged some but right now my level of crafting is grinding, I don't sell them so this is not a plug or spam.

I came to the forums to mostly read what other people have already asked to avoid mistakes. I might give advice on topics I know but I doubt I have a better answer than any of the veterans. I do know a few things like the best steel is the one you have on hand and as far as the Chevy vs Ford debate the answer is clearly Dodge.

Jokes aside, I look forward to the knowledge on here.

New from New England. Been collecting knives for years, I have forged some but right now my level of crafting is grinding, I don't sell them so this is not a plug or spam.

I came to the forums to mostly read what other people have already asked to avoid mistakes. I might give advice on topics I know but I doubt I have a better answer than any of the veterans. I do know a few things like the best steel is the one you have on hand and as far as the Chevy vs Ford debate the answer is clearly Dodge.

Jokes aside, I look forward to the knowledge on here.
Welcome!

I’m a Dodge guy myself. Haha. Lotsa info here at BF and tons of great people. Enjoy! See ya around.

Howdy from Texas! I joined a while back when I first got seriously into knives and EDC, just never got around to posting here. Started with Spydercos and Atwood pocket tools and quickly slid down the slope into Hinderers, Chris Reeves and Zach Wood prybars. Life kept me busy for a few years and I pretty much neglected the hobby. Now I’m back and ready to expand my knife knowledge and explore new makers’ offerings.

Hello All!

New guy here... not knew to the hobby, just this forum! I'm retired and live in SW Idaho. I have many hobbies (Please see my profile, so I don't repeat here). My tastes run more towards the unusual. I like vintage as well as some new and of course custom makers.

I just noticed the thread, "Knives & Watches", which happen to be two of my biggest passions. I will be posting a LOT there. You think knives are expensive? I have spent many times more on watches than I have on knives and guns! It looks like several members here are in the same boat, some very nice examples of both! Speaking of guns... are pix allowed here? I thought I read the rules and must have missed it, unless they are welcome. There are many more hobbies and interests of mine.

Thanx for allowing me to join and I hope to learn a lot and also contribute some.

(PS: I'm actually not Danny, just one of my favorite bad-ass actors. Every handle I tried was taken! My real name is Robert).

Howdy there, knife lovers! Brand new to the community but, even though I already posted a few times, I thought I’d introduce myself here. It took me a while to find the “introduce yourself” section (there are SO many sub-sections on here) and I didn’t want to put this post in the wrong place. I belong to quite a few forum communities related to my varied interests (hunting, guns, archery, photography/videography, backpacking, fishing, etc) so I do try to find the appropriate places to post things.

I’m a professional hunter and outfitter and I manage a large South Texas ranch for a family that’s owned the (beautiful) property since the mid 1800’s. While knives have been a part of my life-long passion for the outdoors, I’ve never had a big passion for them before - as long as I had a knife that suited the job (particularly breaking down animals) I was satisfied. Mostly, my interest in collecting focused on firearms. Very recently, though, I lost a favorite (meaning I actually had it in my pocket for 3 years straight) knife to the TSA through my own stupidity; and my tendency to always be running to my departure flights! Well… when I began looking for a replacement (which I’ve yet to find) I caught the knife bug! The very last thing I really needed. You see, I have a very addictive personality and a tendency to dive WAY too deep into anything that interests me. For example, in the early 90’s I decided to get a tattoo. Per my SOP I did all sorts of research to find the best artist and create the perfect design for myself. That rabbit hole turned into an 18 year long career as a custom tattoo artist and custom tattoo studio owner! I became a very well known and awarded artist who was featured in all sorts of magazines and had rock stars, professional athletes and movie stars as my clients. The job and my study of Asian art took me all over the world. So, you see, I have a tendency to dive deep into things. Lol! I retired from the liberal art world (in part to protest how silly l, hypocritical and intolerant it had all become) and went back to outfitting and guiding and ranch work - the industry I was raised in (actually born into, if I’m being honest) and pursued in my early adult years and I took that just as seriously. I’ve been running one of the largest fair-chase hunting operations in the US for 12.5 years now and I moonlight for several long-running hunting shows on The Outdoor Channel and the Sportsman’s Channel.

The only reason I mention any of this is to illustrate my tendency to trip, head-first into these rabbit holes; and suddenly I find myself with most of my torso already firmly planted within the knife hole! I’m here to learn as much as I can and to use others to keep me from making too many mistakes. It’s become obvious, at a rapid pace, that this can be a very expensive passion; and I’m not keen on making any more forced purchase errors than I have to! Lol!

I’m incredibly grateful to have found a community and a resource like this to learn from! I hope y’all will be patient with me as I stumble through my ‘newb’ knife stage. I’m usually a pretty quick study but there’s sure a lot to learn. Please excuse the long-winded intro. I prolly shouldn’t have started writing with a glass of nice whisky on hand. I’ll just shut up now. Haha! 👊😉🙏🔪🗡

Howdy there, knife lovers! Brand new to the community but, even though I already posted a few times, I thought I’d introduce myself here. It took me a while to find the “introduce yourself” section (there are SO many sub-sections on here) and I didn’t want to put this post in the wrong place. I belong to quite a few forum communities related to my varied interests (hunting, guns, archery, photography/videography, backpacking, fishing, etc) so I do try to find the appropriate places to post things.

I’m a professional hunter and outfitter and I manage a large South Texas ranch for a family that’s owned the (beautiful) property since the mid 1800’s. While knives have been a part of my life-long passion for the outdoors, I’ve never had a big passion for them before - as long as I had a knife that suited the job (particularly breaking down animals) I was satisfied. Mostly, my interest in collecting focused on firearms. Very recently, though, I lost a favorite (meaning I actually had it in my pocket for 3 years straight) knife to the TSA through my own stupidity; and my tendency to always be running to my departure flights! Well… when I began looking for a replacement (which I’ve yet to find) I caught the knife bug! The very last thing I really needed. You see, I have a very addictive personality and a tendency to dive WAY too deep into anything that interests me. For example, in the early 90’s I decided to get a tattoo. Per my SOP I did all sorts of research to find the best artist and create the perfect design for myself. That rabbit hole turned into an 18 year long career as a custom tattoo artist and custom tattoo studio owner! I became a very well known and awarded artist who was featured in all sorts of magazines and had rock stars, professional athletes and movie stars as my clients. The job and my study of Asian art took me all over the world. So, you see, I have a tendency to dive deep into things. Lol! I retired from the liberal art world (in part to protest how silly l, hypocritical and intolerant it had all become) and went back to outfitting and guiding and ranch work - the industry I was raised in (actually born into, if I’m being honest) and pursued in my early adult years and I took that just as seriously. I’ve been running one of the largest fair-chase hunting operations in the US for 12.5 years now and I moonlight for several long-running hunting shows on The Outdoor Channel and the Sportsman’s Channel.

The only reason I mention any of this is to illustrate my tendency to trip, head-first into these rabbit holes; and suddenly I find myself with most of my torso already firmly planted within the knife hole! I’m here to learn as much as I can and to use others to keep me from making too many mistakes. It’s become obvious, at a rapid pace, that this can be a very expensive passion; and I’m not keen on making any more forced purchase errors than I have to! Lol!

I’m incredibly grateful to have found a community and a resource like this to learn from! I hope y’all will be patient with me as I stumble through my ‘newb’ knife stage. I’m usually a pretty quick study but there’s sure a lot to learn. Please excuse the long-winded intro. I prolly shouldn’t have started writing with a glass of nice whisky on hand. I’ll just shut up now. Haha! 👊😉🙏🔪🗡
Welcome aboard. Please do us all a favor and participate in areas more than just the exchange. :)
There are some outdoorsy threads here, as well as a few “knife testing” threads. Have fun and welcome to the addiction.
PS. Do yourself a favor and pick up a CRK Sebenza 21 or Inkosi and work it hard. Best working folding knife out there.

Keep ‘em Sharp

Salutations my fellow fans of the sharpened steel! I recently joined after being away from the hobby for some time. Wife, work and kids interrupted for a couple decades but I'm slowly finding my way back. I started collecting back in the 1980s but not much, things from Edge Co, out of the back of American Rifleman or Shotgun News, etc. I've got a little bit of everything from 1930s bayonets to 1950s camping knives to more modern stuff like stilettos, OTFs, etc. I'm particularly focused, of late, on modern automatic stilettos, Italians. In the 80's I started my automatic collection with the usual EdgeCo types, and earned my bones smuggling a cheap red "Super Stiletto" across the Tijuana border like so many did back in the day. Around the turn of the new century I was buying some Frank B's and Armando's through the mail, from the source, and luckily never lost a package! But now, dawn has broken and enlightenment has begun to spread as my state, as with so many others, legalized possession of these sorts of knives. So I stumbled back to the automatic folders category and found the freedom of ordering a Frosolone from 3Knives and finding it on my doorstep in 4 days thanks to 30 euros of FedEx shipping! My collection's not huge but it does continue to grow. My current idea of a "grail" would be a Campolin-Pascotto Batwing or a Black Widow or a nice Latama. And I'm confident that I'll find my way there. So nice to meet yous all and I look forward to reading the site! Peace.

Welcome!

Back