NEW Mini Micro Bowie scratched by Mr.B

Thank you Sir Mr. Bawanna.

I recently acquired a new mini micro bowie from the DOTD. Satisal wood handle, my favorite. This wood looks good, feels good, smells good... I'm pretty sure they make instruments out of it, so it probably sounds good. I've never tasted it before so, I'm not sure how it tastes. Well, I guess that's not exactly true because I think I may have kissed every one of my HI knives on multiple occasions. Yeah, they tastes good too. Now I see why my wife is so jealous of them.

Back to the topic at hand. This little knife is like a razor sharp pointy hatchet edge on a thick full-tang handle. I already know this little knife will cut through a deer pelvis. I just cut a carrot and it shot across the room. Powerful little thing. I noticed the pictures looked like the handles were longer than older models. I think Bawanna mentioned something about that too. I have small hands but the long handle feels just right. I wouldn't want it shorter. Maybe others would. I think they still make shorter handled ones too.

Very much want to thank the kind Mr. Bawanna for scratching up the handle for me. These checkers look and feel just right. Much appreciated. It feels reminiscent of my long lost Springfield 1911 with rosewood grips. I'm pretty sure Satisal wood is very close to Indian Rosewood. I can only imagine why they call it Rosewood. This stuff smells so good. If you all get a chance to do some sanding on one you will see what I mean.

Bawanna, do you do gun stocks? I have an M92 that could use some love. :)

Last edited:
Job well done! I got a short handle one and wouldn't change a thing on it. You ought to think about some fancy leather pants for it now. They are worth it. I got mine wrapped in beaver tail and is one of my favorite EDC's.

Maybe this will help:D

bec5c2797c5e68e3354ecff5d64bb284

Yes I do gun stocks on occasion, used to do them a lot more. Now mostly pistol grips.
I can't PM you so I'll go find your email. I'm not sure what a M92 is. Beretta?

Satisal=Indian Rosewood? Wow. it does look alike. Man what i wouldn't give for a 2x4 of that!

Bawanna: Have you ever worked Ipe? A friend of mine has a bunch of it and he had a piece with him last time I went over. He decommissioned someones deck and the whole thing was made of Ipe. It was some of the densest stuff i ever seen! You could tap on it and it rang out like a bell. Neat stuff but i don't know what the inside looked like cause it wasn't my piece to shave up. If I can get some ill send you a piece if it looks well enough. I bet it would make some nice 1911 grips. Might eat up your tools tho?

I've worked a lot of IPE, we call it iron wood. When I first started learning to scratch that's mostly what I used. Guys got me a bunch of it. Think it's mostly all gone now.
It's really good to checker since that's what you want, dense and hard.
Don't get a sliver in ya from that stuff though, it's instant pain and agony and you stop what your doing to get it out or the hurting don't stop.
If you can get some small chunks of it, I'd take it.
Used to be a lumber store not far from me that had tons of exotic woods, economy kind of went down and they hardly had any, used to be a real candy wood store. Spent a ton of money there.
I should have charged for stuff so I could get more. I don't know if they got inventory now or not, haven't been there in a few years, I should check.

How big a chunk of rosewood do you seek, I have a little bit of that laying around. I got lots of Purple Heart if anybody needs a chunk of that.

HA! Yeah I cherish them pants. They still look like the day you made them! Maybe even better:thumbsup: I hear from a reliable source there's a code red beaver travel advisory notice within a 100 mile radius from your place. Let me know if they completely dry up over there. They gotta go somewhere?

Bawanna: Same as Desert Ironwood? Thats great that its useable. The piece I handled was about 12 feet long 1x6 but now i think it was at least 1x8". It was solid inch tho and not the finished 3/4". Ill send you a few feet of it if I get it. Ill keep ya posted. They are knapping buddies so he told me he would trade me a point for a piece so Ill get knapping. I want to make a guitar from some. Ill keep ya posted. Id definitely trade you for some purple heart but id also give it to ya for nothing:thumbsup:

Last edited:
That must have been one heavy piece of wood 1x8 12ft long. If you send any you can cut it into like a 4 or 5'' piece. that would make several grips.
We'd best carry on in the Cantina, we're in the showroom.

I trimmed the pommel some here. I tried to make it like a crescent moon. Looks good to me. What do you think?

Last edited:
I love it, I've trimmed several but never thought of doing it like that. That I think looks better than what I did.
On the short ones I often times just covered the pommel completely, sometimes after shortening a bit or reshaping.

Well done.

The more I look at this the more I like it. Basically you've accomplished what I did when I covered the tang with a grip. Bhakta made a long grip and then left some extra tang. By cutting most of it off you pretty much end up the same which is why it still felt good.
But you left plenty enough if you need to pound on something a little bit you can do so without wrecking the handle.
Well done sir.

Back