New Office EDC

I’m new to the knife world and BladeForums. Looking for some recommendations on a new EDC to replace my Mini Barrage. I work in an office so don’t want something to “sinister” looking. Currently looking at a Benchmade Valet or Foray, but open to other brands and suggestions. Budget of $200 +/-, for the right knife could be convinced to spend more.

Thanks for the input.

A Victorinox swiss army knife is as non sinister as you can get. With the variety of models available (I'd suggest nothing over 93mm) you have lots of choices for handy tools in a small package as well.
Rich

Swiss Army Knife Executive is my recommendation. If you want something more modern and one-handed. I would recommend the Spyderco Dragonfly. Super useful in a really small package. The Dragonfly is great in the ZDP-189 steel, but that only comes in the dark green color. You can get VG-10 steel, which is still good, in may colors such as this orange one here. Great for an office environment.

wniaQa8.jpg

M3gw1G2.jpg

dYBMOiU.jpg

My carry when I wear slacks is a Benchmade 531. It's really flat and light so it doesn't show or get in the way in my pocket, and it handles all my cutting needs just fine.

IMG-20190328-154922-127.jpg

Spyderco UKPK S110V with Cuscadi scales to suit your taste. I opted for abalone. Just under $200 for the total build.

20190331-161522.jpg

Massdrop Zinker Dogtooth - Fun little Leek-like flipper with a slightly thicker blade and WE Knives' fabulous drop shut action... well under budget too.

Luckily my boss likes knives and carries a Blur or various ZT often. I still choose to be fairly discreet and opt for a fun color of Vic Cadet. If it only had scissors, it would be my ultimate Vic.

I have a pseudo thread on this my rotations are:

Mnandi
Alox cadet
Baby Jess horn
Zinker dogtooth

I'd like to get another Gayle Bradley air and I just picked up a carbon fiber leek but I didn't like it.

I also just saw a cool skulls keizer feist on FB.

Or Buck 110
:):D:)

Urban Trapper Brad Zinker / Boker
I have three.
There is a Ti Frame lock and various liner locks. Very slim and light. Can carry in a shirt pocket like a pen yet long enough to open mail etc.
My modded one is my Grail; that's how much I like these.
Kind of long but pretty mild looking because it is skinny in every way.
Along with that at the bottom of my pocket is my Swiss Army Knife Mini Champ. Super super small yet has a ball point pen for when your main one quits or is misplaced, has a light, has a nail file and very small but very usable scissors.
Because I can't seem to carry too many knives I might have my Spyderco Ladybug with ZDP-189 steel for opening boxes or such to preserve the crazy sharp edge of my Urban Trapper (dirty stuff like boxes beats it up).

I work in a hospital office setting. Attire consists of khakis and a collared shirt. I prefer low visibility, and around the 3" and under blade length. While I could carry a large knife, it stands out when I do have to use it. Personally I'd rather not draw any attention. My Spyderco Manix LW in CTS-XHP carries discreetly, but the time I used it in the lab the lab tech's eyes kind of bugged. Currently I rotate through a few different knives:

1) Spyderco Rhino - currently my favorite, though I wished it had a deep carry clip, or at least a black pocketclip.
2) Benchmade Bugout - the short deep carry clip is perfect. Great office edc.
3) Steel Will Mini-Intrigue - good knife for the money. Went with grey FRN as it blends better with khakis. Shiny pocketclip though.
4) Kershaw Dividend in M390 - I like this knife, but the auto-assist opening draws attention.
5) Spyderco Delica - I went with brown FRN to better blend with khakis. One of my favorite Spydercos.

Future considerations include:

1) Spyderco Chaparral FRN - not a big fan of choils, but I like the steel and it's a very discreet carry.
2) Spyderco Ikuchi - very cool knife and a slim package.

Of course there have been days I have gone old school and carried a slipjoint of some sort - Victorinox SAK, Case, GEC.

Back