1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New Office EDC

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by EhTrain02, Mar 31, 2019.

1. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Like Rich said above, I almost always recommend a Swiss Army Knife for work. The gadgets can come in handy and no one will freak out when they see it. Spend $20-50 on a SAK and get another knife with the rest of the budget.

My favorite is the Explorer. I like to have scissors and tweezers. Despite bifocals, I find the magnifying glass handy too.

2. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Also look at the Boker Gent 2.
    It's dark and non flashy but is plush because it has an ebony wood handle with a black clip and for a touch of interesting detail has a Damascus laminated blade. The blade shape cuts well, is pretty thin (don't try to pry your car door open with it). I love the thing. In fact just today I was consider buying the larger one called the Gent 1.

Spyderco Chaparral (has various handle materials and blade alloys). It's not really for me but a lot of people like then for dress / office carry.
    Spyderco UKPK similar to the Chaparral I have one I really, really like; even S110V if you want that (mine is).

3. Bob6794

Bob6794

Apr 21, 2013
    SAK, or Ladybug/Manbug or other similarly small keychain knife.

4. bobobama

bobobama Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2017
    I used to keep a SAK model in my desk drawer that you don't see too much, the Secretary (appropriate name for an office knife, no?) It's got a silver finish, which I believe is alox, and is very slim, about 3 inches long and weighs just .75 ounces. It's got two blades, one full size and a smaller pen blade, and will do just about anything you could ask of an office knife. Here's a video on it:

5. Mingecutter

Mingecutter Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Spyderco Chaparral
    Spyderco Para 3
    Alox SAK Cadet, Pioneer, or Pioneer X
    Benchmade 535 Bugout

6. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 27, 2019
    I'd get an opinel in Sandvik stainless in a more exotic handle material.

A stock Opinel with just some stropping is a freakin' lazer and is a classy, simple look that won't intimidate and you'd feel comfortable lending out to cut up the next office birthday cake.

7. Crimson Cloud

Crimson Cloud Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2018
    +4 on the Chaparral

48A49E63-A1CA-4EC0-887C-919C6B4D02B8.jpeg

J D Wijbenga, John_0917 and Alsharif like this.
  8. iareconfuse

iareconfuse

Mar 28, 2019
    My votes for the Massdrop/FF Gent or Crux

9. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    If you want utility in an office setting and you don't keep s multitool in you bag or desk, I'd recommend and pocket capable knife tool like the small pliers based tools (Dime, Squirt) or a small SAK. My preference is the Micra but anything in this class will give you a lot of functionality.

If you want a non-printing clipless knife in your front pocket, you should say more about the kinds of knives you think look cool. In the end, you'll carry a knife that you like the looks of so start there.

This said, traditional knives raise fewer eyebrows IME and how you deploy a knife matters more than the style.

10. dgaddis

dgaddis

Dec 26, 2018
    The Leek is a great option if you also add an aftermarket deep carry clip. The long super pointy tip may be considered 'sinister' tho.

The Dogtooth is an upgraded version of the Leek IMO, it's manual on bearings, ti framelock (or liner lock, both available), better steel, longer blade with the same length handle. But again, long super pointy tip.

The TRM Neturon is a decent option as well, pick the scales to suit your tastes.

I have all three of those ^^ mentioned.

Also, the Massdrop Gent and Gent Select. I've got a Gent Select with the rosewood scales ordered!

11. urbantrapper

urbantrapper

Dec 13, 2018
    A very classy take on the traditional barlow in modern materials would be the Lionsteel Euro Barlow. Handle material and blade shape vary, but its contructed from titanium with m390 steel blade. CK had them made and sell them from thier site. Its in your price range and oozes class while looking unthreatening.

Psy223 likes this.
  12. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    I rotate through several that have been mentioned in this thread but my favorite has to be the Bugout.

13. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    To add to this here is a photo for size reference:
    I gotta admit the since getting the baby jess horn and the Dogtooth, my current two favorite work EDCs the Alox Cadet which was my number 1 carry for the last two years is now in my knapsack. It says alot as the Cadet is probably the singular most useful pocket knife/tool that I have ever come across, not just on paper but in actual use due to its slim profile and select tools. I hate to say it but that little nail file groomer thing is super handy if you are doing handyman stuff at home and then forget to clean your nails going into the office. They're all really great EDCs though across a wide range of budgets. I can't say that I could recommend one over any other. If the M16 came in premium materials and KVT bearings it would 100% be my overall slim EDC favorite of the bunch.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Crimson Cloud likes this.
  14. Lee D

Lee D

May 27, 2013
    Lots of good suggestions, and I’ll suggest you take a look at the smaller Fallkniven folders. I have a U2 and it’s plain Jane appearance doesn’t attract any attention.

15. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Chambriard Compact in the handle of your choosing.

16. sfknifeguy

sfknifeguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2019
    Kizer Yorkie, Boker Urban Trapper, We Knives Deacon, Brad Zinker MD Dogtooth, Quiet carry iQ. I think those are all fine office carry knives!

17. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    I thought some photos might make this thread more interesting. I know all you guys love your "tactical" knives ...but keep an open mind and consider some old school options for office carry. This locking trapper by PJ Tomes has a sharpened D2 blade that can cut a pubic hair and nobody will complain about it looking too sinister. Besides, a nice stag has so much more soul than plastic....;-)

These full custom slip joints can be had for the price of most of today's mid techs.

0FA9B4E0-A8EB-4B9B-AE91-E7B360AE6CD5.jpeg

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  18. xraso

xraso Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Benchmade Proper is my office EDC lately

[​IMG]

urbantrapper likes this.
  19. Pharmagator

Pharmagator Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2010
    ONE WORD: COLD STEEL ESPADA XL
    espada xl.jpg

20. rogatsby

rogatsby

Jun 19, 2018
    I've been hyping this budget knife up in a lot of places, but it fits here. The Kershaw Atmos would make a great office or urban carry knife. It has a very gentleman's knife feel to it. The $30 price tag is remarkable given the amazing action and design you get with this knife. And it comes with a true deep carry pocket clip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]