New Office EDC

Like Rich said above, I almost always recommend a Swiss Army Knife for work. The gadgets can come in handy and no one will freak out when they see it. Spend $20-50 on a SAK and get another knife with the rest of the budget.

My favorite is the Explorer. I like to have scissors and tweezers. Despite bifocals, I find the magnifying glass handy too.

Also look at the Boker Gent 2.
It's dark and non flashy but is plush because it has an ebony wood handle with a black clip and for a touch of interesting detail has a Damascus laminated blade. The blade shape cuts well, is pretty thin (don't try to pry your car door open with it). I love the thing. In fact just today I was consider buying the larger one called the Gent 1.

Spyderco Chaparral (has various handle materials and blade alloys). It's not really for me but a lot of people like then for dress / office carry.
Spyderco UKPK similar to the Chaparral I have one I really, really like; even S110V if you want that (mine is).

I used to keep a SAK model in my desk drawer that you don't see too much, the Secretary (appropriate name for an office knife, no?) It's got a silver finish, which I believe is alox, and is very slim, about 3 inches long and weighs just .75 ounces. It's got two blades, one full size and a smaller pen blade, and will do just about anything you could ask of an office knife. Here's a video on it:

Spyderco Chaparral
Spyderco Para 3
Alox SAK Cadet, Pioneer, or Pioneer X
Benchmade 535 Bugout

I'd get an opinel in Sandvik stainless in a more exotic handle material.

A stock Opinel with just some stropping is a freakin' lazer and is a classy, simple look that won't intimidate and you'd feel comfortable lending out to cut up the next office birthday cake.

If you want utility in an office setting and you don't keep s multitool in you bag or desk, I'd recommend and pocket capable knife tool like the small pliers based tools (Dime, Squirt) or a small SAK. My preference is the Micra but anything in this class will give you a lot of functionality.

If you want a non-printing clipless knife in your front pocket, you should say more about the kinds of knives you think look cool. In the end, you'll carry a knife that you like the looks of so start there.

This said, traditional knives raise fewer eyebrows IME and how you deploy a knife matters more than the style.

The Leek is a great option if you also add an aftermarket deep carry clip. The long super pointy tip may be considered 'sinister' tho.

The Dogtooth is an upgraded version of the Leek IMO, it's manual on bearings, ti framelock (or liner lock, both available), better steel, longer blade with the same length handle. But again, long super pointy tip.

The TRM Neturon is a decent option as well, pick the scales to suit your tastes.

I have all three of those ^^ mentioned.

Also, the Massdrop Gent and Gent Select. I've got a Gent Select with the rosewood scales ordered!

A very classy take on the traditional barlow in modern materials would be the Lionsteel Euro Barlow. Handle material and blade shape vary, but its contructed from titanium with m390 steel blade. CK had them made and sell them from thier site. Its in your price range and oozes class while looking unthreatening.

I rotate through several that have been mentioned in this thread but my favorite has to be the Bugout.

The Leek is a great option if you also add an aftermarket deep carry clip. The long super pointy tip may be considered 'sinister' tho.

The Dogtooth is an upgraded version of the Leek IMO, it's manual on bearings, ti framelock (or liner lock, both available), better steel, longer blade with the same length handle. But again, long super pointy tip.

The TRM Neturon is a decent option as well, pick the scales to suit your tastes.

I have all three of those ^^ mentioned.

Also, the Massdrop Gent and Gent Select. I've got a Gent Select with the rosewood scales ordered!
To add to this here is a photo for size reference:
I gotta admit the since getting the baby jess horn and the Dogtooth, my current two favorite work EDCs the Alox Cadet which was my number 1 carry for the last two years is now in my knapsack. It says alot as the Cadet is probably the singular most useful pocket knife/tool that I have ever come across, not just on paper but in actual use due to its slim profile and select tools. I hate to say it but that little nail file groomer thing is super handy if you are doing handyman stuff at home and then forget to clean your nails going into the office. They're all really great EDCs though across a wide range of budgets. I can't say that I could recommend one over any other. If the M16 came in premium materials and KVT bearings it would 100% be my overall slim EDC favorite of the bunch.

7su4xl3.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of good suggestions, and I’ll suggest you take a look at the smaller Fallkniven folders. I have a U2 and it’s plain Jane appearance doesn’t attract any attention.

Kizer Yorkie, Boker Urban Trapper, We Knives Deacon, Brad Zinker MD Dogtooth, Quiet carry iQ. I think those are all fine office carry knives!

I thought some photos might make this thread more interesting. I know all you guys love your "tactical" knives ...but keep an open mind and consider some old school options for office carry. This locking trapper by PJ Tomes has a sharpened D2 blade that can cut a pubic hair and nobody will complain about it looking too sinister. Besides, a nice stag has so much more soul than plastic....;-)

These full custom slip joints can be had for the price of most of today's mid techs.

View attachment 1102828

I've been hyping this budget knife up in a lot of places, but it fits here. The Kershaw Atmos would make a great office or urban carry knife. It has a very gentleman's knife feel to it. The $30 price tag is remarkable given the amazing action and design you get with this knife. And it comes with a true deep carry pocket clip.

CBJAxeB.jpg

GxwQBU4.jpg

CcSMfha.jpg

dfU1sJw.jpg

Back