New Spyderco fixed blade?

Originally posted by Sal Glesser:
1. We have blade size at 4.5" being "optimum" blade length for a fixed blade that one may carry all of the time. If you agree, please let us know, if not, why not?

I would prefer less than 4 inches, for legal carry in a wider variety of places. However, Yekim does have a good idea with one 5+", and one <4". Although, that means more SKU's. (?)
frown.gif

As mentioned elsewhere, I believe, I suggest you err to the side of "strong" over "light," if you must err
wink.gif
. IMO, lightness only counts if you are going to hang it around your neck. And I don't believe anyone on here has that misconception for this piece. Otherwise, anything less than the weight of the conceptual piece someone mentioned (the Spyderco sword?
eek.gif
) would be easily carryable in any format that I can envision a fixed blade. But that's just me.

I would go for a user. G10 or Micarta handle scales, with flat-ter cross sections. 1/8 to 3/16 (MAX) blade thickness, with finger choil; and with the nice distal taper like the Military. Blade planform? Again, like the Military would be nice.

I personally would prefer either VG-10 or BG-42 (since I hear you're doing some prototype lee-tle Militaries in BG-42...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
).

OBTW, my preferences come more from a perspective of a knife that I would use for utility than for martial bladecraft, so that should be considered, I would think.

------------------
"Absolute safety is for those who don't have the balls to live in the real world."
St. Mary's County, Republik of Marilundt

[This message has been edited by rockspyder (edited 28 December 1999).]

Here's another vote for a sub 4" blade (for legal reasons in most places)- a 3.75" blade is plenty for most utility/emergency defensive work. VG-10, BG-42 or CPM440V would be great- with a swedged clip point, thong hole & convertible Kydex/Concealex Belt/IWB/Neck sheath. Radiused & textured G-10 or Micarta slabs. A thinner overall profile than the Moran would be great.

------------------
Runs With Scissors
AKTI# A000107

Definately a user type knife with a 4-4.5" drop point, full height flat grind in 440V @ 56Rc, grippy textured, blue G10 handles with an integral guard, Concealex sheath of the type used on the Moran with a blade thickness of .130-.140".
Generally speaking, of course.
biggrin.gif

------------------
So, what IS the speed of dark?

I've been thinking about it some more. 4" blade length is probably about right. Also, I personally don't like the idea of slab handles (as opposed to a stick tang). 3/16" is a good stock I think. Definitely NOT a swept blade (they're usually hideous). I suppose a choil shaped for placement is a good idea for those with large hands (mine are neither large nor small). It's a good idea for folder because it enhances handle length without making it harder to fit in your pocket. This is not the case with a FB, since it doesn't close, but it should still be considered.

Howie

For me 4.5"(-5") sounds better than sub 4". I can carry a knife in public places only in my bag so I have no reasons based on jurisdictions to limit me to sub 4" blade. Normally if I'm free to choose between blade lenghts for same handle I choose 110-120mm which is about 4.5". I wish (christmas went but this is kind of wishlist) blade shape to be drop or clippoint. For steel I accept what the good and wise people in Spyderco R&D team see suitable.

Sal,
When I originally posted the suggestion that we collaborate on a design, I thougt it was a good idea. Now I think it is a great idea. It appears to me that most of the descriptions on this thread could easily be describing my "Patrolman" or my "Tracker". Keep me in mind. If you would like, I would love to talk about it with you.

Thanks,

------------------
Lynn Griffith-Knifemaker

griffithknives.com
GriffithKN@aol.com
Available Knives

Thanx for all of the input. Much to ponder. Will let you know more about the model(s) when we're closer to production.

sal

Sal,

I would go with something about the size of the two knives Lynn is talking about. That size is easier to carry and gets less frowns from the LEO as well as the "omg it's a knife" crowd. I feel something in a smaller size would be carried and used more and less likely to end up on the secondary market a week after it's purchased. I see that happen with many large fixed blades.

Regards,

Tom Carey

I only know Lynn Griffith's knives through pictures on the Web - as a matter of fact, I was just checking his site (again) a while ago. However, they sure look great in all aspects, and there's quite a few testimonies from happy customers on these forums.

So... FWIW, I believe it'd be great to have a collaboration between him and Spyderco. I'd certainly buy one of them.

Oh, and the trainers are a great idea.

Regards,

Leo Daher
PS: A slip sheath would be nice too (Kydex, of course).

A knife we'd use every day . . .

How about making the best 3 1/2" - 4" paring knife you can make - though maybe a little on the thick side like a Henckels? And then making a verstile carry rig for it?

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Hi James,

What you have just described sounds much like a utility knife, not a combat/tactical knife.

smile.gif

Later,
John

Why not come out with a model that can be made with a variety of blade lengths and the same handle? That way you could satisfy those who have conflicting laws about concealed carry. My locale 3" and 3.5", state and city. Also if you keep the hole you maintain the "look", and you make it easy to hold for close-in detail work.
Dave Jung

The most popular combat knives in the USA are kitchen knives. What I propose has a point and an edge and a utilitarian purpose so one can say with a straight face that one is carrying it for some purpose other than "protection." Add a "gravest extreme" sort of situation, and it becomes a combat knife, God forbid.

But then I'm the guy who thinks a geo-tanto point is for cutting steak and preserving the edge, since only that little secondary point contacts the china plate.
wink.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

I have to say, I agree with James on this one.

A well made thicker than normal Spyderco Kitchen Knife marketed with a good sheath would be nice....

Then again, what is the Moran????????

------------------
Marion David Poff aka Eye mdpoff@hotmail.com
Coeur D'Alene, ID
http://www.geocities.com/mdpoff

An interesting business oppurtunity... http://www.geocities.com/selouss

"We will either find a way, or make one." Hannibal, 210 B.C.

HI Marion,

Exactly! I think some of you guys just want a Moran with a few changes or a different blade shape. This knife is supposed appeal to a different market than the Moran does or what's the point?

Sal would be competing with himself.

Later,
John

Automantic is closer on the different market thing.

James - I do not agree with you (rare) that the most popular "Combat" knife is a kitchen knife. Perhaps the most used in a crime...or in defense.

I can also assure you that if someone entered my home unannounced and I couldn't get to my Glock, I would undoubtedly grab the 12" razor sharp chefs knife on my kitchen knife magnet.

But I would not use that knife to "practice MBC "moves".

I'm not after a "looks cool in my collection" piece (although it might). I'm after a "using" piece that the "trainer" is the "toy / tool" that gets most of the use and the "live" piece is easily and comfortably carried by a professional or serious hobbyist (and hopefully not used).

My question was on blade size as handles have already been conceived and are in designing now. Although I am certainly interested in all opinions of the forumites regarding FB models in general.

sal

Actually, I "confused" the usages of the term, combat knife, with malice aforethought.
wink.gif

A knife actually used to cause great bodily injury or death, or displayed during a heated argument, or grabbed when one hears something go bump in the night (when other people might reach for a baseball bat or a gun) is likely to be a kitchen knife, and not a purpose-built combat knife. But a cop or a soldier or a martial bladecrafter looking for a back-up weapon is probably not going to look in the "Housewares" section of the department store.

But we all know that Spyderco can't have too many SKU's can they?
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

So how about a few more fixed blades . . . Like the drop-point Moran variant in the leather "puukko" sheath, and the 3 1/2" Picnic Knife with a multi-carry kydex-type sheath? And maybe a "trainer" for the picnic knife?

And if, God forbid, you had to defend yourself on the street, and you did it with a small-to-medium-sized fixed-blade knife, and you were the person in a condition to explain it all to the cops and/or your attorney, would you rather be discussing your "Martial Bladecraft Knife" or your "Picnic Knife"?

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

James - I'm assuming that the person carrying this "tool" already has their reason. Remember the market.

For the person that you are speaking of, I recommend the Delica (which BTW we will also make a trainer for).

sal

------------------
"There seems to be an amazing connection between what people do... and what happens to them"

Back