New to me 4.7!

IUajzHy.jpg

I was able to snag a nice deal on Facebook for a 4.7 in 20cv. The dude was great through the whole process. I'd been looking for a 4.7 in some form of stainless for awhile, but only casually. When this knife popped up being advertised as completely new with a factory edge I became immediately interested. When I saw the ferro notch, I was sold. This is my one and only GSO with a notch. I was very pleased upon opening the box. This is my 3rd GSO that I've gotten second hand and the only one that actually came as advertised. It's absolutely perfect and did indeed come with a shaving, factory edge.

I have to admit that although my new spec 4.1 is a truly incredible knife on it's own, the 4.7 feels better in my hand. With my obsession with the GSO 5 I also like the idea of a taller, thicker blade.

I know I'm still missing the cpm 154cm, but here's my trio.
dVL9u22.jpg

1nF3Ga6.jpg

Poor, indoor shots are the best I could produce after work when the sun was mostly set. I'm excited to use my new knife and to see if I can develop my steel-sense to pick up on the differences in steel.

I've managed to stick all of my patches onto different packs and I'm looking for more. The gentleman who sold me the knife is the original owner and he was including in the sale everything that he originally received. I asked if he had gotten a patch and he said no, only a notebook and sticker. A short while later he messages me back with a picture of what he found tucked down in the box.

Fog9RVn.jpg

What?!? How did he get one of these?! I thought this style of patch was long extinct. I couldn't believe my luck, but sure enough, here's my new patch.

Looks like you made out like a bandit on that deal :) :thumbsup:

It had slipped my mind that you got one of the sample CFVs. Very envious!! Of course that new one doesn't look like a slouch either ;) It will be interesting to hear your thoughts over time on each of the steels.

I am very impressed with the 20CV. It has been my favorite steel for a small blade for a long time. After testing out my 5.1 this afternoon, I was really impressed how a well heat treated, slightly lower hardness 20CV blade could have such great toughness, edge stability, and edge durability. All of that on top of great corrosion resistance, which I am sure I will notice during the really wet winters we have in the Pacific NW. Very impressive for a high carbide stainless steel!
Congrats on the great find!

Congrats Silver! The 4.7 is my favorite Survive blade to date and it looks like you have your 4.7s covered...:cool: I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the newer GSO 6 and I'm hoping the contours of the handle is very similar to the 4.7s, as they are just oh so comfy!

*have patch-envy* ;) Oh, nice knife too. :D I am thinking that was a Starter knife, given the notch, right? Were those offered on any of the later sales?

Congrats Silver! The 4.7 is my favorite Survive blade to date and it looks like you have your 4.7s covered...:cool: I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the newer GSO 6 and I'm hoping the contours of the handle is very similar to the 4.7s, as they are just oh so comfy!
My yet-to-be-made grail would be a 4.7 in delta 3v. Some day!

I'm right there with you. The 4.7 is perfect for what I do most with a knife, but I'm thinking the 6 could be my perfect survival and Jack of all trades knife. Excited to find out!

*have patch-envy* ;) Oh, nice knife too. :D I am thinking that was a Starter knife, given the notch, right? Were those offered on any of the later sales?
I think you're probably right about this being a starter order. The seller also told me that he kept all his stuff in the same place, so the patch he gave me probably came with an old spec knife he bought. If he didn't need it, I'm happy to have it!

Nice knife and patch! I love my 4.7 with the notch. Wish that was still an option they offered. Maybe once they get settled with the SK line they can bring that back on the GSOs...

Like this?

JDp9cyQ.jpg

Let me know if you want to see any other types of comparisons. Sorry for the delay, it has been a craaaaazy weekend in the Silver household.
Thanks for the picture mate :D
Just trying to figure out if the 4.1 will fill the missing hole created by the regret of not jumping on the 4.7 whilst they were available haha.

Hopefully the crazyness slows down sometime soon and everyone is safe.

Thanks for the picture mate :D
Just trying to figure out if the 4.1 will fill the missing hole created by the regret of not jumping on the 4.7 whilst they were available haha.

Hopefully the crazyness slows down sometime soon and everyone is safe.
I think that's a tough call without holding one or both. What I lack in experience I make up for in enthusiasm :D and honestly the blades perform the same for me. They both feel like a wedge cutting food, they baton the same, they each make just as precise cuts in a try stick and identical feather sticks. Someone else might have much finer tuned senses and be able to tell more differences.

The biggest thing for me is the handle. I appreciate the fraction of an inch extra length with the 4.7 and the 4.7 feels fuller in my hand, especially by my index finger in a hammer grip.

That's just my own personal presence, so I'm not much help..... I prefer the feel over one than the other, but in use they're so similar that if I didn't have one I don't think I'd miss the other. So, actually I'd say you'll be fine.

And yes, everyone here is very safe. If we're in danger of anything it's just being over scheduled :D

Like this?

JDp9cyQ.jpg

Let me know if you want to see any other types of comparisons. Sorry for the delay, it has been a craaaaazy weekend in the Silver household.

These look almost identical! One's a smidge shorter in length and the other is a smidge taller in blade height. The 4.1 looks like a 4.7 that has been shrunk by 9% :D Are they both the same blade thickness?

These look almost identical! One's a smidge shorter in length and the other is a smidge taller in blade height. The 4.1 looks like a 4.7 that has been shrunk by 9% :D Are they both the same blade thickness?
Hit the nail on the head! Those are the main differences, length and height. The 4.7 is thicker by a small fraction. I'll have to check the website for specs. I don't have what it takes to discern the subtleties, I just know they're my two favorite knives :D

I will add that they were designed around different philosophies, but they don't replace one another for certain uses, at least for me. Nobody needs both models, except people like me who just need both models :D:D:D:D

Hit the nail on the head! Those are the main differences, length and height. The 4.7 is thicker by a small fraction. I'll have to check the website for specs. I don't have what it takes to discern the subtleties, I just know they're my two favorite knives :D

I will add that they were designed around different philosophies, but they don't replace one another for certain uses, at least for me. Nobody needs both models, except people like me who just need both models :D:D:D:D

Yeah, they both look very similar and subtleties will be the difference in why you choose one over the other! I really love the 4.7, it fits my hand perfectly. Which would probably mean that the 4.1 would too.

I want a 6 in 3v! Right now, it's the only knife that I really want. Except for the pre-order I have for a CPK...

IIRC
.12" difference in blade height
.19" difference in blade length

ETA: .160 vs .175 blade thickness

Last edited:
Nice score Silver! I have it's twin. :D

Would you mind sharing where you are finding GSO's for sale on Facebook? I have looked round a little on Survive's Facebook page but I haven't seen any for sale. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot...

These look almost identical!

They sure don't feel identical though. I stuck with the 4.7 because of the thought that went into the design where it is locked into your hand in cases of loss of dexterity. It stays in my winter hunting pack for that reason, although I found out recently you can lose dexterity in warmer weather as well. I think if someone were to pick one up and not like it, they would like the other......basically same size, but different feel.

Back