New way of asking an old question

tueller

Basic Member
Fixed vs Folder

So here is the scenario: you are undergoing a wilderness survival situation. In that you are trying to camp by yourself in the woods as long as you can with limited equipment.

1. You can only have one edged tool. Your option is you can either spend up to $300 on a folder or $30 on a fixed blade. Which do you choose and why?

2. Or how about this option. What about you can either take 2 folders or 1 fixed blade. Unlike the previous question, value doesn’t matter. Which do you choose and why?

In order to keep us on the same page let’s say the folder has a 4” blade limit and the fixed blade has a 7” blade limit.

why you ask: I am just curious how much you all trust the reliability of modern folders compared to fixed blades. This is just meant to be fun. If this bothers you or offends you in some way, just don’t participate.

i think the problem in answering, is you probably can’t find an actual decent fixed blade for a survival situation for $30. now maybe $100ish then yes, i’d pick an ESEE and call it good or i think the BK2 is comparable.

If you made it $50, one of Cold Steel’s 10xx knives might work, though you will be somewhat hampered. I’m not sure there is any folder that can really compete with even a decent fixed blade.

I also wouldn't expect a $30 fixed knife to work as well as, or endure abuse as well as a $300 folder, so I'd choose a Millie G-10, BM Crooked River, etc.

Upping the fixed blade budget to a more reasonable $100-150 changes things dramatically.

Option 2 is easy......fixed, without hesitation, but not sure which one.

Last edited:
Why the disparity in budget?
A limit of $30 for a fixed blade gets you very little... but I'll take a Mora Companion, and blame you if I die.
Eliminating the budget constraints, 1 fixed blade over 2 folders, without hesitation.

Actually, I'm going to take my answer in a different direction. Keep your money - I already own fixed blades; so I have no need for your budget. That makes things a lot easier :D. The other part of my previous answer remains unchanged fixed blade over folder, without hesitation.

Hmmm . . . interesting dilemma. One edged tool for a prolonged survival situation means you need something that can withstand a fair amount of hard use. Lots of overbuilt and heavy duty folders out there in that price range but a decent fixed blade for $30 is a tall order. You're talking Frost level quality at that price point. Not sure I’d trust a budget blade in a real survival scenario. Have to go with a folder in this particular scenario. Probably go with my Chinook 1, or something along the lines of a Manix 2XL, Cold Steel 4-Max, CR Umnumzaan or Strider SNG.

Last edited:
I'd take a Mora and an Ontario 12 inch machete, both for well under 100 dollars and will do anything you have to do win the woods until rescue.

I would not plan to stay more than 3-4 days without packing an axe, now that that’s out of the way let’s suspend belief and play.

1. As my only edged tool I cannot think of a $30 fixed blade I’d consider to do it all. So I’m looking at a folder sub 4” sub $300. I’d choose take either a ColdSteel AD 15 or a Cold Steel SR1.

2. Carothers HDFK with TeroTuff scales... duh !

1) If I could find a decent fixed blade at $30, I would prefer the fixed blade. Mora Robust comes into mind. It's a wilderness survival situation which requires good reliability and fool proofness, the lock on the folder might be alright, but shxt always happen when it is least expected.

2) That's easy, fixed blade.

At that price range, I'd go with a Szco fixed blade. I've never owned one, but I have handled them and they felt quite solid and their quality seems beyond their price point. Here's one of their bowies:

The real question is not necessarily price, but you are asking more about what would you rather have a fixed or a folder for survival.

Survival, building shelter, gathering resources, hunting and trapping? I highly encourage you to watch the show called Alone. A multi tool, 4 to 5" fixed blade, and folding saw are plenty. Never once have I seen a folding knife used in the show.

Back