New ZT Marketing video

Meh...didnt really hold my attention except for “is this really their video?”
Looks like they are targeting the young generations credit cards.

It's not terrible, more what I'd call perfectly adequate as part of their marketing campaign with some nice graphics. If I still bought production knives, ZTs included, this wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

I don't get the hate on ZT in general. They're still decent value buys if you find the designs appealing. I guess those who bought into the brand many years ago don't appreciate the changes they've made, but to me they're doing fine.

I hear people refer to knives as "Pocket Jewelry" all the time so why not sell it like that? IMHO it might seem cheesy, but so is the other end of the scale when you see knife companies stabbing boots.

We will see what ZT will be releasing at shot show
After this I may be critical about their future production.... I really wish they will prove me wrong

So, they're a lifestyle brand like Harley Davidson now? Why don't they show guys like me, electricians, construction workers, etc using them like I thought they were intended to be used?

I don't know... Guess I'm not their target audience anymore. Lol

Interesting video. Not what I would have expected. Many images of wealth. A couple shots of blue collar types and maybe one shot of hippy type playing guitar.

I thought it was pretty bad but I haven’t wanted to buy anything from them since the early ken onion 301 time frame. But looking back I don’t even like that style no more. They should just say hey we just get a bunch of higher end knife makers to make more budget friendly versions of their knives.

It's clear they're trying to expand their market appeal to, perhaps, "unexpected" lifestyle demographics for knives. Of course, the guy taking his gloves off, and the guy with the gun could probably be expected to have a knife clipped to their pockets. But the GQ guys, the business people, the golfers, the rock singer, etc., would not stereotypically be expected to.

That said, it's a strange ad that just seems fragmented to me. Since nobody is actually shown using or carrying a ZT (or any other knife), or are even in a situation where one might come in handy, the advertised product doesn't seem to match the images.

Jim

Last edited:
I have 3 of the knives showed in the video, but I'm not rich, or own a sail boat or fly a helicopter.. Maybe I need to sell the 13 ZT's I have? Because my lifestyle isn't anything like what ZT is showing. I think ZT has turned away from hard use knives and moving towards expensive gas station knives.

This advertisement doesn't surprise me. I brought it up awhile back in a different thread that ZT has literally changed their company mission from making "premium hard use knives", "a real beast" etc. to a new slogan of "Proudly Precision Built". ZT even says on their "about us" page, "Zero Tolerance is a brand of Kai USA Ltd. The ZT brand first made its appearance in 2006 when we saw a place in the market for a Made-in-USA line of hard-use knives that would meet the needs of professionals in the military and law enforcement, as well as other first responders, such as firefighters and emergency medical personnel. ... The initial products were combat knives, but since that time, the line has expanded to include a variety of general use and premium knives.".

Unlike many, I do feel that I'm in the demographic their targeting for the "premium" brand style, the advertisement does nothing for me. Even more importantly, I feel their offerings aren't special or important anymore. ZT WAS great at making premium hard use knives with the ZT 0301 and 0560. But they have transitioned into the premium EDC market, to which they offer nothing new or innovative too. In short, I think this advertisement is more indicative of a generic, out of touch company who is just trying to be a mass appeal "premium" company and not focusing on the merits of their products.

I didn't care for the content of the video, but I'm not their demographic...middle aged and aware of my preferences, which most of ZT is not. Where the two circles of the Venn diagram cross is the 0452. The video itself looks like something pulled together from stock footage, and belongs on prime time TV. Not bad, just bland.

Back