New ZT Marketing video

And yeah, it was a pretty weird promo. So many oddly juxtaposed images: a man with a gun; cut to a man playing guitar; cut to a dude walking up to his helicopter. What?

I didn’t like the spot. The quality is good, but there was nothing in there that speaks to the product or differentiated the ZT brand.

It is a shame that Kershaw runs so well while ZT has all but gone extinct. The sub-division is in serious need of a new brand manager. What are they trying to do, cut into their sister brand’s market or continue to build on the trend setting production quality levels that originally established the brand. Releasing 3-4 platforms a year while retweaking the finish on earlier products is hardly something worthy of a story.

n2s

View attachment 1258809

Spyderco didn't do much better today.

Thats pretty funny too. However, Sal Did name the company after "Spider sports cars"

Yes, "Spider" cars were always viewed as high performance models leading him to name his company after them because he wanted to make high performance cutlery.

The ZT video didn't make me cringe but it also didn't make me want a ZT. It seemed disjointed.

I'm surprised to see so many people dumping so hard on this. You know, somebody worked hard on that commercial. As I explained previously, they did a good job for the type of commercial that it is. It captures what I think they were setting out to capture. It sells the brand in a way that should appeal to a variety of younger men who might not necessarily be "knife guys".

The market is a big place. Think about all the brick-and-mortar budget guys out there. We might not always relate to the people buying their knives from the counter at Dick's or Walmart, but they're a significant part of Kershaw's business. That crowd is big enough that brands like Kershaw or CRKT can keep selling 8Cr13Mov despite so many better steel choices being available at similar prices online. While I don't think that's a good thing, it speaks to the fact of a larger market. With all the different kinds of customers or potential customers out there, the job of an advertiser is to reach them.

Who knows? Maybe that 20-something rising star in middle management will compliment his new watch or whatever with a ZT. Maybe someone inspired to buy a ZT based on this ad will eventually become a "knife guy".

Spyder used to be slang for a two seat convertible, and at least we know the car is a convertible! :D

I can't help but think this video is aimed at people like Nick Shabazz, but if he also liked guns. But re-watching it I agree, it's like they took stock footage from other commercials and combined it with not much direction. Gonna show a motorcycle, why not show doing a repair or cutting a strap? Shooting guns, why not show clearing a jam? Luxury watch lifestyle...Maybe show using a ZT to spread caviar on a yacht surrounded by models?

Ever since last year when a certain knife company made a political statement about guns. I've noticed that I've seen other companies try to show they support guns by including them more and more in their pics and ads. I think this ad is no exception.

I'm surprised to see so many people dumping so hard on this. You know, somebody worked hard on that commercial. As I explained previously, they did a good job for the type of commercial that it is. It captures what I think they were setting out to capture. It sells the brand in a way that should appeal to a variety of younger men who might not necessarily be "knife guys".....

Non-knife guys rarely pull $200-300 out of their pocket to buy a premium production knife, nor do you find ZT knives at the local Targets or Walmart. It is a weak ad put together by someone with no knowledge of the business. We are left with the impression that the producer of this thing does not know why knives are carried, how they might be useful, what makes a quality knife or why we should consider ZT products.

n2s

Want a new knife - Check
Used to Fly Helicopters - Check
Lifestyle of the Rich & Famous - Fail

I was considering a ZT, but as an older retired guy this commercial does ZERO to entice me to spend my money on their product. I already own a ZT and none of their current offerings are an enhancement to what I already have. ZT has really only changed the style and eye candy aspects of their line.

To me they are just appealing to a different demographic and between the video of blue collar workers and then the rich with lavish lifestyles WHO are they really trying to target? Rhetorical, but I would say those with money.

Watching reviews of ZT product from a year ago today's prices seem to be about 10 to 15% higher. Though out of my price range and Chinese made, Reate seems to offer greater prestige from a eye candy perspective.

The ZT video inspires you to buy things, just not ZT knives.

A swing and a miss. The money could have been better spent.

I'm surprised to see so many people dumping so hard on this. You know, somebody worked hard on that commercial. As I explained previously, they did a good job for the type of commercial that it is. It captures what I think they were setting out to capture. It sells the brand in a way that should appeal to a variety of younger men who might not necessarily be "knife guys".

The market is a big place. Think about all the brick-and-mortar budget guys out there. We might not always relate to the people buying their knives from the counter at Dick's or Walmart, but they're a significant part of Kershaw's business. That crowd is big enough that brands like Kershaw or CRKT can keep selling 8Cr13Mov despite so many better steel choices being available at similar prices online. While I don't think that's a good thing, it speaks to the fact of a larger market. With all the different kinds of customers or potential customers out there, the job of an advertiser is to reach them.

Who knows? Maybe that 20-something rising star in middle management will compliment his new watch or whatever with a ZT. Maybe someone inspired to buy a ZT based on this ad will eventually become a "knife guy".

This post is almost as comical as the video:D

So, they're a lifestyle brand like Harley Davidson now? Why don't they show guys like me, electricians, construction workers, etc using them like I thought they were intended to be used?

I don't know... Guess I'm not their target audience anymore. Lol
Did you miss all of the construction part of the video?

I think more poor people who save up for a nice quality knife buy zt more then rich people who will probably want something more prestigious like marifone or begg. If money was no limit I'd surely buy those, not a spyderco or zt. IF that is, its about prestige.

This kind of commercial sells just about everything else so why not.
Easily could've been a car, cologne, or alcohol advert to name a few.

Back