Nick Shabazz goes over the 100k YouTube subscriber mark

Why are you making all these assumptions about me? I have no particular feelings about Nick Shabazz. I never attempted to censor anyone. You are reading things into this that I never said or meant.

My post even states that:

By all means, feel free to share your opinion or criticisms. I simply feel that such opinions or criticisms tend to be better informed when one takes into account the effort that goes into producing a well-thought out knife review in the form of a youtube video.

This sounds like it's becoming a personal issue, and surely there is no call for that?

My post stands. It does not interfere with your ability to post. Nor was it meant to. Let's leave it at that and stop polluting the thread.

Edit: interpunction.

My last response will be a reiteration of my first. Your comment posed the inference that someone needs to be of similar accomplishment in order to be critical in any way of someone. That is false. If that is the point you were attempting to make, that, and you, are wrong. Simple as that.

Good day.

Even though we don't share the same taste in knives, I do occasionally watch his videos. At least he supports his opinions with proper arguments. His systematic breakdowns of a knife are pretty good, too.

It's easy to diss on youtubers like Nick, but I don't see you doing what Nick's doing. Sometimes when I wanna find reviews of an obscure knife, I only find 'reviews' that are more like a commercial. Or reviews that are just some guy rambling. Or are just an unboxing.

The point is, it can be a lot worse. And at least Nick's video are informative.
Not trying to stir this up more, just trying to let you know the problem with your argument. See the bold in your quote. Let me say the same thing about Nick that you are saying about his critics here. "It's easy for Nick to diss on knife manufacturers like X, but I don't see Nick making knives like manufacturer X". See how that logic doesn't work?

I don't have to taste dog poop to know it is a taste I don't like and can advise the same to other people.

Plus, how do you know we all aren't youtube reviewers of some sort or another. I do the best spatchella reviews on the youtube.

And to Craytab’s point why do I want to watch another individuals views when I have multitudes more on this forum...

Not trying to stir this up more, just trying to let you know the problem with your argument. See the bold in your quote. Let me say the same thing about Nick that you are saying about his critics here. "It's easy for Nick to diss on knife manufacturers like X, but I don't see Nick making knives like manufacturer X". See how that logic doesn't work?

I don't have to taste dog poop to know it is a taste I don't like and can advise the same to other people.

Plus, how do you know we all aren't youtube reviewers of some sort or another. I do the best spatchella reviews on the youtube.

For all his shortcomings, Nick does try to take into account the effort knifemakers put into making a knife. He even does consulting for them.

Allright, allright, I'll concede that part of my post reads poorly. It wasn't meant to be central to the point I was trying to make.

Posts like "I don't like his accent", or "I don't like his hands", are fine, but they're just personal preferences. They don't say anything about his value as a youtube reviewer. And I do think he adds value to the knife community in his own way.

All in all, I guess I'm just misunderstood. Is there some kind of tax exemption I can file for? :)

Good for him. :)

I don't watch much of his stuff (because I generally avoid YouTube entirely), but his is pretty much the only Medford knife disassembly out there. And it was even done with humour. :thumbsup:

Seems enough people like what he's doing, so keep on doing it.

I don't subscribe to any knife reviewers on yt. If I want to research a knife, I will do a search for that knife on yt and watch a few videos. I take the good with the bad. Sometimes it's just nice to see a blade being handled vs a few pics on a website.

I wear a XL/2XL glove. If the handle fits Nicks hand just right, it won't fit mine. That is valuable info.

Congrats to Nick on his 100K.

And to Craytab’s point why do I want to watch another individuals views when I have multitudes more on this forum...
Why not?

Here you can get opinions and reviews good and bad. From people you enjoy or can not stand.

The question is why limit yourself to just BF.com? Much of what you get here is linked to YT anyway.

For all his shortcomings, Nick does try to take into account the effort knifemakers put into making a knife. He even does consulting for them...

I disagree. Shabazz "disses" some makers unfairly. He advertises for his pet makers, companies and purveyors. "Consulting" ups his image and the maker's sales. He is compensated in many different ways for this mutual back rubbing. Not the least of which is his 100K subscribers. But I will say, I will watch the take apart videos some of which he does incorrectly.

I "remember" his videos and name longer than anyone else. He must have something going.
I like his reviews and tear-downs...good stuff.

I am subscribed to many YT channels. But I don't have the time to watch all of their videos. There are only 24 hours in a day.
Just because Nick or anyone else loves or hates something doesn't mean that I will. He loves those ugly looking Spyderco's, I don't. But that's ok.

Last edited:
He was the first knifeguy I found when I started getting in to knives again that I liked, and this was back in the day when he was extremely nasal. But you know, between him and the preacher it was easy. And I actually enjoyed the whole character.

I'm not here to defend him, but most of the gripes people have with him he has explained himself as to why he does them.

All in all, I think he is a positive voice, and he's doing something that is very valuable in the disassembly videos. Between him and Cedric&Ada, and this forum, I have pretty much all I need to spend money I don't have.

This was the case for me for the Dutch Blade Works Xerxes. At least, his is the only in depth review in English that I could find. His review of the knife was very positive and I've found that I definitely agree with him on this particular knife. I didn't have much else to lean on before making that purchase, so his input was very helpful in that situation.

Unfortunately, the knife still doesn't seem to get much attention and I'm worried it'll fade out of the knife community's memory soon. It's such a well thought out design and incredibly well made

HcG3pe8.jpg

I0X82Zr.jpg

I purchased Dutch Blade Works - Xerxes based on Nick's review... What an unforgivable $380 mistake I made... His review and my review of Dutch Blade Works are not close. I do agree with 90% of Nick's reviews in general, he is dead spot 100% on! But the Dutch Blade Works - Xerxes... That knife!

1. I found the closing frame vs the show frame side gap to be tiny (3-4 milimeters?), so after flipping open and close 10-15 times it leaves a mark on my thumb because I have to press in really hard my thumb against the frame lock to close the knife. The gap is unforgivably small and there is not extra room cut out on the show side frame so your thumb jumps in comfortably while closing the knife.

2. Flipper tab without jimping. When flipper tab is at 100 degrees or 120 degrees to the spine of the knife (unlike Hinderer XMs) you have to have some sort of jimping. Try flipping 10+ times, you finger starts to slide on it and you need to hard press it.

3. Made in China knife close to $400... CPM 20CV OK I get it. But $400 made in China???

3. Utterly boring frame color - well ok this is not as bad. I can live with that I have few awesome knives with boring colors.

B/B- Grade I gave to this knife.

"It's easy to diss on youtubers like Nick, but I don't see you doing what Nick's doing. Sometimes when I wanna find reviews of an obscure knife, I only find 'reviews' that are more like a commercial. Or reviews that are just some guy rambling. Or are just an unboxing."

This is exactly why I started my Youtube knife review channel. I made few purchases years ago (when I started collecting seriously) based on Youtube influences reviews and they all proved wrong, I hated those knives and they were nothing like on those reviews "wow this is awesome edc, ergos" I personally found all or most of those statements to be BS. So I found it entertaining doing this reviews, helped me sell and buy few more knives, made great friends and I personally learned a lot about knives and knifemaking via social media interactions.

We need more people like Nick! The more the better!

Last edited:
^ I hope they have room down there cause theres lots of seats to fill...

Instead of bashing nick,we should be bashing that luv them knives marblemouth for reviewing clones and fakes more than almost anyone else.Hes helping to keeping that industry alive and well.....
YouTube needs a clean sweep. The people talking about Paddies channel being good and all is obviously an opinion, and I dug his channel.. until I seen yesterday that he does the same thing with fakes on his channel and talks about how good they are in the threads with the commenters. I'd like to see his channel fall in the toilet and flushed as well after it drowns. I flipping hate that sh#t. Not cool at all.

Back