No love for the manix 2 lw

I like the knife and don't mind the Carpenter CTS-BD1 blade at all. The stain-resistance is superb!

I just wish that they would have designed it like the G10 versions so that the blade "floats" in the handle when closed. It doesn't do the edge any good to slap up against the back of the handle.

I will be getting one of the CPM S110V with blue/purple G10 versions when they become available because of this.

Been carrying my blacked out LW since I got it in a trade. Took me a bit to get a feel for the frcp handle, but now that I'm used to it there's no going back. It's such a great knife that cuts everything I need cut, while looking cool and not weighing my pants down ;)

As far as I can tell, the blade rests against the backspacer just like it does on a lockback.

The pivot is as good as any of the ball-bearing pivots systems that I am aware of.

This is one of the first generations with the pinned pivot too.

Thus, the blade "slams" shut real easy, even when trying to close it carefully to prevent this.

I have both blue versions of the LW. I like them both but obviously the 110V version is better than the BD1 version.

I have a first gen and the edge definitely doesn't hit. Somethings wrong with yours.

646a0601e764e56103ee8961b27996f9.jpg

I just received mine and love it. I thought my PM2 was ergonomic, but this Manix 2 LW just melts into my hand. The frcp is so light, but you can also tell that it is super tough. The blue color is just perfect. I like it better than the PM2 S110V I just got. The PM2 just went back in the box, I may not keep it.... I like this Manix so much that I'll be carrying it for the foreseeable future.

Good to hear.

If I'd had more discretionary funds, I would have picked one up, too. I'm well set with my M2 LW Black and M2 XL, though.

John

As far as I can tell, the blade rests against the backspacer just like it does on a lockback.

The pivot is as good as any of the ball-bearing pivots systems that I am aware of.

This is one of the first generations with the pinned pivot too.

Thus, the blade "slams" shut real easy, even when trying to close it carefully to prevent this.

The blade is not supposed to rest on the spacer. The kick is supposed to keep the blade barely off of it. Th kick is that little protrusion on the front of the forward choil. That is supposed to contact the knife, not the edge. If the edge is really contacting it, then the kick was ground wrong and you need to send the knife back.

I really like mine. However, I found that I would always slip a Manix 2 in my pocket (typically a Sprint Run) rather than the Manix 2 LWT. I can't explain it, but I just prefer a steel/G10 or Carbon Fibre handle on an EDC.

13802001625_fdf1c80194_b.jpg

It never replaced one of these.

14798250322_1e717d94f9_b.jpg

I recently broke the tip off my one too, so will have to try and reshape the spine, maybe then I will carry it more...

Cameron

Today I sharpened mine for a Kentucky backpacking trip the weekend before Super Bowl.
3b307f9e10e95ffc866360ec08bd2d64.jpg

The Manix 2 lightweight in S110V is a superb knife, and it exemplifies Spyderco's motto "simplify and add lightness".
The model only seems to have two possible disadvantages: it takes up quite a bit of real estate in your pocket, and some people can't seem to get over the fact that it has an ultra lightweight plastic handle, which to them makes the knife feel cheap and not worth the asking price.
But after providing them with some links to real life tests with this knife some of them change their minds :)

I do hope however that the factory edges get some more attention in the future, as i already had to resharpen 5 pcs of this model that couldn't even slice copy paper.
Upon inspection all these edges had visible burr remains and edge angles measured around 35 degrees inclusive.

This is one of them with it's new bling & bite edge, as i call them: reprofiled to +/- 30 degrees inclusive with 230 grit diamond powder on a Rubber Wheel, refined with 15 micron diamond compound on a Paper Wheel, and deburred with 0,25 micron diamond compound on a second Paper Wheel.
To me the shiny bevels are actually a side effect, as it's the clean cutting of the large amount of vanadium carbides that i'm after.

Last edited:
The weight, the lock, the ergonomics and the S110V steel are awesome. I think the "bidirectional texturing" is brilliant industrial design and I really like how FRN and FRCP are so lightweight and colorful. It takes up a little more space in my pocket than I would prefer, for the amount of usable edge you get out of the blade, so I tend to prefer to carry my Para 2.

Hate it. Mine sits in a drawer. I can squeeze the sides and make the scales touch in the center. Very cheap feeling. Love the thicker frn on the native but for a knife the size of the manix the frn is to thin and flimsy. Absolutely hate it.

this is why i havent purchased one yet. i would like to see one built much like the endura and delica with milled out liners. i totally love the FRN handles unlike some but for a knife that size i think some milled liners would be nice;y suited. with a multitude of translucent colors as well.

I have a question. My XL has a bias to open. What I mean is, if you pick up the blade a bit, it does not snap back closed like a back lock will (or an Axis Lock). Does the LW have a bias towards open or closed?

I have a question. My XL has a bias to open. What I mean is, if you pick up the blade a bit, it does not snap back closed like a back lock will (or an Axis Lock). Does the LW have a bias towards open or closed?
It should close itself relatively well. Maybe not as snappily as a back lock, as it's a different design, but I'd try cleaning the mechanism.

Since acquiring a Caly 3.5 I have retired my Manix 2 lw and sold my pm2. As an edc it's better than either.

I thought I would be able to go through life with just a Manix 2 XL and a Manix 2 lightweight with the BD-1 blade, but now I have to get the CPM S110V version too.

Thank you, you co-dependent enablers!

Back