Off Topic No such thing as a bad/ "evil" knife , if it works !

Just like a karambit while working the drive thru at a fast food place.

World of knives he could have chosen...and he picked that one. He wanted to look tacti/awesome/scary.

The fact that he used it to help someone doesn't make that go away.

I call BS here. Maybe his grandma gifted him the knife?

Not everyone is a knife expert and not everyone views people who carry crazy looking tackytool knife as insane or criminal.

Really only a small portion of the population in the USA are like this but they are very vocal and get lots of news coverage.

I m glad the kid carried a knife.

I call BS here. Maybe his grandma gifted him the knife?

Not everyone is a knife expert and not everyone views people who carry crazy looking tackytool knife as insane or criminal.....

And not every one who carries a crazy rad tacti-cool tool is some insane person out to kill people...Ex: stabman stabman :D
5tKJScX.jpg

If walked up to him in person dressed like this I woulda nopped immediately outta his way.and if you showed me this and told me that was the same guy...
Right, because if I remember correctly, there were no Bowie knives, switchblades, stilettos, or daggers back then, which is why no one carried them.
Oh wait...there were all those things and a bunch of people carried them...
I would have told you he seems more like some likable goof than some sort of sketchy guy with a black leather jacket,bandanna,and
big knife.

Just like a karambit while working the drive thru at a fast food place.

World of knives he could have chosen...and he picked that one. He wanted to look tacti/awesome/scary.

The fact that he used it to help someone doesn't make that go away.

I'm not really sure why Marcinek viewed the karambit guy in such a bad light and i'm not gonna post my assumptions out loud because that could be a touchy subject..Even though Marcinek seems to be the type of person to have strong opinions, (which can be a good a thing) if you can accept that you might grow to like him.I remember in past threads he seemed like a decent person,he just made himself look bad in this one.Im pretty confident he doesn't even wish any harm to karambit guy.

No such thing as a bad/ "evil" knife ,
If you have ever seen a Cold Steel serrated blade cut through TWO , count 'em, TWO !
free hanging ropes at a single swipe . . .
. . . that is pretty Bad ! ;)
. . . boardering on "evil" ish ;)

if it works !
Oh it works. Brother !

I don't have one but it is fun to watch 'em go.
I do have the same knives in plain edge. :thumbsup:

"Weapon" is such a useful word for liberal politicians and snowflakes. The beauty is you can apply it to anything and it scares the bejeezus out of people who have never used a tool in their life.

I have been on a Rough Rider slip joint binge for the last couple of years. Maybe some one might complain about those $8-$15 knives.

I was 16 once too. Cut the kid a break. He did a good thing. Surprised I haven't seen him on Fox News morning show by now.

I have been on a Rough Rider slip joint binge for the last couple of years. Maybe some one might complain about those $8-$15 knives.

I was 16 once too. Cut the kid a break. He did a good thing. Surprised I haven't seen him on Fox News morning show by now.

I am sure many would be alarmed by your knives. they alarm easily.
When your young cool can be as important as function, but I have no evidence of him using the knife in an inappropriate manner. The guy seems pretty grounded- working a job and now saving a life. I will look elsewhere for villains, even though I do consider perception important.
Always comes back to it being the person not the article that is at fault. Inanimate objects are neither good nor bad.

And not every one who carries a crazy rad tacti-cool tool is some insane person out to kill people...Ex: stabman stabman :D
5tKJScX.jpg

If walked up to him in person dressed like this I woulda nopped immediately outta his way.and if you showed me this and told me that was the same guy...

I would have told you he seems more like some likable goof than some sort of sketchy guy with a black leather jacket,bandanna,and
big knife.

You can be both. :D

And if there was a closed up car full of puppies and kitties baking in the sun, I could break the window and save them using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire. So what?

Knives create impressions. People like teenagers working fast food drive thru carry certain knives to create impressions. And it reflects badly on all of us.

Did he save someone with his stabinator? Sure. Its a drop in the bucket compared to all the others whipping out their stabinators at Applebees, family gatherings, and malls.

If others get an impression from those knife owners, it's not the others' fault. It is the knife owners intent.

Everybody pines for the "old days" when you could carry a knife...they existed because people carried knives and used them like adults...not because they wanted to look like bad*sses.
You seem a bit confused ! :p

I'm not defending bad behavior . You can be an A-hole in public with ANY kind of knife or almost anything "threatening" . Everyday , common objects become threatening in the context of crazy behavior . A butcher's , boning , skinning , or even a paring knife can be perceived as a threat if brandished in an aggressive manner or out of normal context . So can a can of gasoline and a bic lighter or a piece of Saran Wrap .

I don't personally see weapons per se as threatening . It all depends on the situation and the intent of the armed persons .

Some people seem very hypocritical about the essential evil of weapons and those competent in their use . When used to protect THEM , as in soldiers ,LEO or their own private security apparatus ...weapons and warriors are great ! But if not under their direct control , then weapons/warriors are bad .

If you really believe that self defense is wrong , and also allowing anyone else to defend you ...then maybe you have a consistent argument against weapons . Otherwise it's just the crassest hypocrisy . :mad::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

When I was a kid back in junior high (1970s), I carried a normal slipjoint of some kind, usually a medium stockman by either Schrade or Buck.

But in 1977 when I was 14, I bought a cheap switchblade with a 3" blade (which made it illegal to carry) off of a classmate for $5 (he got the better end of the deal). I wanted it because I had seen an episode of Baretta that had a serial "slasher" who used a switchblade, and I thought the knife was 'cool' and wanted one for myself. I could tell it was cheap, with some kind of soft, chrome-coated blade steel that wouldn't take an edge. But it snapped open pretty good, and I fancied myself as "The Man Who Carried A Switchblade," because it was illegal, even if I never told anybody else about it. I still carried a stockman in my left pocket to actually cut things with.

I thought carrying a switchblade to school made me cool, until one day in class I discovered it had come partially open in my pocket and the tip of the blade had been lightly poking my sack. Thereafter, it lived in a drawer at home.

So yeah, I went through a sort of "Tacticool tough guy" mindset for a short while in my youth. That's not so unusual. I know I never would have pulled it on anyone. For me, it was the idea of carrying something I knew I wasn't supposed to, and getting away with it.

Jim

"Weapon" is such a useful word for liberal politicians and snowflakes. The beauty is you can apply it to anything and it scares the bejeezus out of people who have never used a tool in their life.

Well, I guess we couldn't avoid politics.

I thought carrying a switchblade to school made me cool, until one day in class I discovered it had come partially open in my pocket and the tip of the blade had been lightly poking my sack. Thereafter, it lived in a drawer at home.

Jim

Dealing with light sack stabbing is what proves one's tough guy credentials though. :D

Doesn't sound like a knife I'd want to carry...I'm just not tough enough for that lifestyle. ;)

Hardly confused, D DocJD .

We were talking about the impressions knives give. You talked about his as a tool, and now you are talking about it as a weapon.

But you have forgotten the subject of your own thread, the impression that a knife can give.

And a karambit gives a different impression than a SAK, and so does choosing to carry one.

Hardly confused, D DocJD .

We were talking about the impressions knives give. You talked about his as a tool, and now you are talking about it as a weapon.

But you have forgotten the subject of your own thread, the impression that a knife can give.

And a karambit gives a different impression than a SAK, and so does choosing to carry one.
The impression given by either knife depends entirely on the viewpoints and preconceptions of the perceiver . It's NOT some universal truth ! :rolleyes:

Lots of people think SAK type knives are really old fashion and lame ...not cool at all . Whereas a karambit is way cool and badass because it was in a video game or a movie they have seen .

Some other people still hang onto their old SAKS with fondness . ;) They might think karambits are evil and too terrible to exist .

I don't make it my business to decide what kind of knife others should like or carry .

The distinction between tool vs weapon is more about how it's actually used . Almost any blade can be either .

I suspect that in the real world , these days , that most blades used in actually fighting are probably not ones originally classified as weapons .

Conversely , very few sold for their weapons potential are ever really used for fighting .

I read recently , the weapon of choice in the UK ,statistically, is the kitchen knife ! :eek:

...I read recently , the weapon of choice in the UK ,statistically, is the kitchen knife ! :eek:
I think that's why where was a suggestion to make them all pointless kind of like the SAK "My First Knife". It's all just a bunch of ridiculousness.

He could have cut it with a SAK too.

The knife he used was pure tacti/ninja piece, the kind that makes people think that knife fans are stab happy psychos.

(Which is why many people carry those knives, I suspect.)

Hopefully this discussion will stick to the topic of impressions knives give, and not politics and religion.

So the kid may not have enjoyed carrying an SAK. A knife one doesnt have cant save someone. Fact is, he saved someone. YOU are the one judging it as a stab happy psycho knife. Wouldnt that make all gun owners shoot happy psychos?

So the kid may not have enjoyed carrying an SAK. A knife one doesnt have cant save someone. Fact is, he saved someone. YOU are the one judging it as a stab happy psycho knife. Wouldnt that make all gun owners shoot happy psychos?

We all know he saved someone. It's great. We have had a half dozen threads on the topic in the last couple days.

We are talking about knife choices, why people choose certain knives, and what impression those knives make.

People choose tacti-ninja knives. A big part of knife choice is image, self-expression and impression. We all know that. Why there are so many kinds of knives.

We can stick our heads in the sand and pretend that the image problem we have is not partially caused by us, or we can just go on whining here when "sheeple" look at us the wrong way when we open a saltine packet at Olive Garden with a CS XXXXL Stabinator.

As for gun owners...I don't know. I haven't mentioned them, its a knife forum. Ask him...

Yes , if someone carries an AR into school , church , or the Walmart , that would be noticed as weird and aggressive . But so would bringing in a bunch of gasoline or hunting dogs . Crazy ,abnormal behavior is everywhere scary . Just varies as to what that consists of in different areas / cultures .

We all know he saved someone. It's great. We have had a half dozen threads on the topic in the last couple days.

We are talking about knife choices, why people choose certain knives, and what impression those knives make.

People choose tacti-ninja knives. A big part of knife choice is image, self-expression and impression. We all know that. Why there are so many kinds of knives.

We can stick our heads in the sand and pretend that the image problem we have is not partially caused by us, or we can just go on whining here when "sheeple" look at us the wrong way when we open a saltine packet at Olive Garden with a CS XXXXL Stabinator.

As for gun owners...I don't know. I haven't mentioned them, its a knife forum. Ask him...
Image is poppycock. Something is dangerous or not. The adornment of skulls or butterflies doesnt change that. I personally think too many people in this world are too busy judging things based on image when image is simply superficial and doesnt make some th hing more dangerous. All a karambit is is a hawkbill with a ring. Call it a karambit and some folks start judging i guess.

Back