Not enough love for the Gayle Bradley 2

The cause is we have too many good knives and too many choices.

Any one of them is more capable than the real user scenario.

I will keep both GB as they feel different from my other knives. But none of them is going to replace my griptilian as main working knife.

Q2AymSy.jpg

The GB paradox, when 1 > 2 :eek:

The cause is we have too many good knives and too many choices.

Any one of them is more capable than the real user scenario.

I will keep both GB as they feel different from my other knives. But none of them is going to replace my griptilian as main working knife.

Q2AymSy.jpg

I can't argue that, I do love my Grips as well! Definitely a favorite carry of mine.

It's really interesting. After several days of play with the knife, I feel quite OK with the liner lock now. The sharp edge still cut into skin of my thumb. but my thumb has adjust to it. It's hard to explain but now closing the knife with one hand is not an issue now.

BTW, I noticed GB1 is much more smooth when closing the knife. OK, I should say both knives are very smooth in open and close. But when you disengage the lockbar on GB1, the blade is almost a free drop shut.

(Oops when I tried to play the drop sht when I was typing above message, the free drop blade cut my finger!!! not a deep cut :))

I posted this in another thread and think it sums up my appreciation for Mr. Bradley’s fine knife design.

The Gayle Bradley 2

Based on my sample of owning over 100 Spyderco's, 20-40 Benchmade's, one of each of Chris Reeves knives, and others, I have continuously returned to the Gayle Bradley 2. To me it balances time (to maintain M4), cost, and quality. Here is why I think it is Spyderco's best knife by my definition.
  • Cost: Less than $170 (when I picked one up on sale new a couple years ago)
  • Size: Medium sized that can be used for small light duty tasks to heavy duty tasks, and do so all day long
  • Time: M4 steel takes a wicked edge and keeps it for a long time so I can work longer, and sharpening doesn't take me long so down time is short and back to work
  • Ergos: Does not force you into one preferred grip or slicing angle, but the handle thumb rest is very comfortable to use all-day.
  • Handle: The carbon fiber looks great and cleans up easy. The offset scales don't feel the best after a long time cutting, but also due to the chamfered edges, I don't feel hot spots.
  • Blade shape: versatile and can be used in a variety of angles
  • Blade grind: The hollow grind allows it to slice easily without giving up strength due to the thick spine (reminds me of a Sebenza)
  • The pivot/deployment is silky smooth, yet controlled (reminds me of a Sebenza)
I could go on, but I won't bore you all more as I gush over my GB2. I'll end with saying that I have often considered it my "one knife for life" if I had to.

Here's the thing; this is my 4th GB2. I have them for a long while, and I've sold them for various reasons (usually because I've overspent my fun money and have to recover). This last go-round was in pursuit of a Shirogorov. As soon as I sold may GB2 I regretted it, and kind of resented the Shiro (mad at myself, I guess). I decided I needed to undo that, so unloaded the Shiro and got back into a GB2. Picked up a GB 2 from the latest release here on the exchange and after some trouble with the pocket clip screw, I am back in action. Now the process of making it mine starts over.

This starts with the edge... I noticed this version (or at least this knife) had a little kick to the edge right at the plunge line. It was maybe 1/8" to 1/4" long. I don't like how these grow into recurves over time, so I sharpened it right into the plunge and straightened it out...

Zgymtrql.jpg

Then, because I can't help myself, and because I needed to work out the 150 grit scratches, I fully sharpened the thing at 240 grit, 400 grit, and 800 grit (raise a burr and remove, etc., etc., on Venev diamond stones) followed by a bit of stropping. I'd consider this a good working edge, a little more than toothy, a little less than full mirror. Just very light pressure will shave arm hair. On the M4 it is whittling hair!!

i3TAJvFl.jpg

uhPpGx9l.jpg

Enjoy those Two's! Have a good labor day weekend, all.

Last edited:
Thank you. It did help a little, but still looks like that.
VCvQCSR.jpg

The knife came already new like this, with its original cf plated scales. I didn't sent it back, because it was one of the last ones available when I bought it a few months ago. Not a big issue, but the most off center spydie I own.

All three of my GBs will center by adjusting the pivot screw. I leave mine centered and let the action smooth out over time with use.

Last edited:
Also, for those new GB2 owners with sticky lock bars, my new GB2 has eased up considerably after opening it a couple hundred times. I had to use two hands at first to close the blade, and now I can one hand it no problem.

I did notice that the lockup on the new GB2 is earlier than my older one. More like the GB1s.
Not the best pic. New on the left.
Q3q5xp4.jpg

Last edited:
My GB2 is more like your old one. It started a little earlier, but has settled nicely where it is. Still a tad sticky, but it was so bad new you could hear it unsticking and kind of grinding. now thats one every so often. Should be smooth as silk soon! I have had to resharpen it (I put a couple little nicks in the edge from shaving some tough dry wood sticks in the yard!). Coarse diamond, extra fine diamond, and a bit of the spyderco medium. Still pretty toothy and very, very sharp. I love this knife...

Also, for those new GB2 owners with sticky lock bars, my new GB2 has eased up considerably after opening it a couple hundred times. I had to use two hands at first to close the blade, and now I can one hand it no problem.

I did notice that the lockup on the new GB2 is earlier than my older one. More like the GB1s.
Not the best pic. New on the left.
Q3q5xp4.jpg
I’ve had mine for about 3weeks or so. I had to use two hands as well. It is better now but has a way to go. I found I was more comfortable accepting that it wasn’t like my other knives to disengage. Blade was centred fine.
8B41A997-A151-443B-9C14-C7BBAF73B064.jpeg
43D41D64-DA00-47E3-A364-75B4ED37EDF6.jpeg
I love mine :thumbsup:

For some reason the Gayle Bradley (and GB2) did not appeal to me until recently, when something switched on in my brain and I said "I need that!" I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and snagged a used GB2 with Fireside Co. micarta scales and an MXG Gear titanium clip for a great price:

MZUl9U1.jpg

The only change I made was to swap out the coated screws for plain Ti one from Blades We Love:

h6RYawk.jpg

It is now one of my absolute favorite knives.

For some reason the Gayle Bradley (and GB2) did not appeal to me until recently, when something switched on in my brain and I said "I need that!" I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and snagged a used GB2 with Fireside Co. micarta scales and an MXG Gear titanium clip for a great price:

MZUl9U1.jpg

The only change I made was to swap out the coated screws for plain Ti one from Blades We Love:

h6RYawk.jpg

Wow, that looks great!

MZUl9U1.jpg

h6RYawk.jpg

Those scales are amazing!

MZUl9U1.jpg

h6RYawk.jpg

Very nice

Thought of the day:

"If all these years I did not have any issues opening my Spyderco Pingo with two hands, I am sure I am going to be fine disengaging my Gayle Bradley 2 with two hands"
OBEC6NJ.jpg

Last edited:
Back