Recommendation? Not your typical D2 steel knife: durability?(with photos)

A question regarding D2 steel, albeit with a caveat.....

So I was a fan of Resident Evil 4 and there was a knife used by a character in it. Saw a custom knife dealer and had a version of the knife made like.....

23969873_507384922968491_2033190496624443392_n.jpg

24177724_132595817438768_1974043015932542976_n.jpg

He made the knife suuuuuuuuuper thick (as in this is safely over a .25" thick, closer to thick kukri spine territory...possibly between 3/8 to 7/16" thick), and yet it holds a decently sharp edge and cuts anything nylon/cordura/tactical vest material like butter.....the overall length I think is about a good 3 inches longer than a kabar marine knife.

Well this thing lent so well to use that I wondered how it may fare to heavier use other than slicing. I know about the reputation of D2 being "brittle" but how brittle are we talking about? The thing pierces like a scorned woman's stare across a crowded room, solid wood benches get dug into about half an inch, but didn't know how dangerous that is for the point, albeit it terminates into a slope to point about half an inch or maybe 3/4" an inch from the slab like thickness.
24177268_169847073607673_6120376925635477504_n.jpg

Because of the thickness and blade geometry of this thing, would this thing be up to light chopping or at least splitting small logs with light batoning? I understand the brittle nature people fret over the steel about, but didn't know that since this thing was obstinately thicker than most knives, if that made the typical worries regarding D2 minor or negligible?

I am having to order a diamond rod sharpener in order to touch up this thing.
23735543_1136833783113915_909430256589340672_n.jpg

I wouldn’t be worried about the knife breaking apart when chopping wood, if it was well heat treated, I mean. D2 is “brittle” when compared with better suited steels for that job (chopping wood), like 5160 or other mid carbon steel, but if you adjust edge geometry, you’ll be fine, let’s not forget we’re talking about steel. The tougher the steel, the more acute angle you can use. I’m sure even cpm121REX will make a fine crowbar at 1/2” thick and tempered in the low 60’s hrc.

I LAUGHED. 10 points for the reference. Now if I can figure how much durability this knife of mine has, maybe I can figure out if I need to make room for ink ribbons or go all out lol

You could use it and find out.

Or you can assume it is as durable as it is in the game.

If I’m out in the woods and I chose to carry this knife with my loadout, there’s another knife like my Ontario knife rd9 on board for camp work.

Its an awesome knife if you happen to like the look of it or like the video game...congrats and enjoy....but why would you carry that knife in the woods and what would you intend to do with it?

Its not really going to chop, you cant baton, its too thick for fine bushcrafty work....unless you are attacked by characters from the video game :D, I don't see what it could do. Would love to hear! :thumbsup:

Its an awesome knife if you happen to like the look of it or like the video game...congrats and enjoy....but why would you carry that knife in the woods and what would you intend to do with it?

Its not really going to chop, you cant baton, its too thick for fine bushcrafty work....unless you are attacked by characters from the video game :D, I don't see what it could do. Would love to hear! :thumbsup:
Rogue rabid coyotes , bears and mt. lions ...oh my ! :p

Might be an OK fighting knife ? :confused: Looks cool anyway .

Rogue rabid coyotes , bears and mt. lions ...oh my ! :p

Might be an OK fighting knife ? :confused: Looks cool anyway .

It's been surprisingly good for chopping using the slight belly that curves up to the tip, took out a dead satsuma tree we had here that was well over three inches thick after some whacks XD

Batoning has been saved for 4-inch diameter limbs and logs because I am not a fan of using knives for that kinda thing (I carry an axe or even a khukuri if expecting some log splitting) but was good to know it could do so with the flat section behind the false edge on the back.

So far so good, it's survived adventures in Louisiana swamps and boat rides, took care of business etc. Due to the unique design I've had to adjust some old habits but it's been a hella tough blade, my worries on it's toughness were ceased when I slammed the knife in an icepick-style grip, down through semi-rotten log (outside was softened but not by much) to attempt splitting it, and used it like a prybar to finish the split after its trip down the grain of the log. The thing didn't flex much if at all and buried itself up the finger choil, despite hitting dry wood halfway down......

I got it currently being sharpened up by a local knife maker here who tends to be sought after for thicker knives, awaiting results on that, but since my last post the knife has been a crowd favorite amongst coworkers XD

So far the next batch (the "Viper Mark 2" as they're being called) looking like this in production, needing more work done. I noticed this dude's take on it is leaning more on belly and backside:
36728410_242377463246181_1977273411159719936_n.jpg

When I get the 52100 steel version Mark 2's made of it, it should be another foray of finding out what to expect with it. I wanted that notch on back to be a seatbelt cutter kinda sharpened area but that got lost in the sauce of emails possibly. Maybe the Mark 3 will have it, but I'll be seeing what else to alter.

I'm looking at seeing how practical I can make game-inspired designs now :D

The handle shape and design is going to be different than the Mark 1, but I plan on selling the copies with a kydex ranger carry sheath and the false edge is going to be sharp as well, due to one fellow in particular who "wants to f--- up some f------ pigs with it once I snare them"....The man is akin to a Cajun Krauser on crack, if there were any durability issues during his adventures in the woods and whatnot, I really hope to see it :D:D:D He's a Krav Maga instructor as well with a curious side about breaking stuff, so we will see.

Long story short, the design and the version I got made of it with alterations actually was surprisingly useful :) I still open beers and oil cans with that notch on the spine near handle, makes a good corner to puncture the lids with surprisingly! And still no damage thus far. Will be beating the crap outta the Mk. 2 versions when I get it in because I won't fear losing the knife now that I can get copies made XD

Last edited:
Back