OBM, diktator, Oregon blade maker, origin blade maker... etc...

S
I’m on my phone, so posting pics is a pain, but look at the “mini diktator” vs Northridge’s mod-e, and the diktator “bandit” (appropriate name I guess) vs Brian House’s “revolution” kit.
So is OBM and Diktator the same company?

IMO, the problem(?) here, is that this just the nature/reality of the world we live in. Not everybody agrees on what is "right" behavior.
If I can be bold enough to offer a solution, it would be to not get too worked up over things beyond your control, and always remember, it won't last forever.

I think what will win here is the precision and customer service Northridge provides. Yes it’s a cheap copy, uses cheaper wheels/bearings from China vs Northridge which makes their own. So I will pay a little more for that piece of mind and an American made product instead of a stolen design copy made in China. I do like the shock they use on the Diktator , (the only part made in American on it) versus the coil spring on the Northridge.
(I have a regular Northridge and plan on a mod-e once he has them in stock again).

It’s well beyond using the same number of wheels, or sharing a few general similarities. They’re making part for part copies and passing them off as their own. Does that not seem like a lack of integrity to you?

I know the line can get blurred between what constitutes outright copying and “inspiration”, but let’s call it for what it is here.

They’re not making cola or cars; they’re making grinders from other company’s designs, plain and simple.
I understand what are you saying Drew :thumbsup: That is the world we are live in this days...What I don t is why they do exact copy ??? Is that hard to design grinder or what ?

I think what will win here is the precision and customer service Northridge provides.

Does Northridge provide great customer service? I just tried purchasing a pro package from them and they told me to kick rocks because I live in Canada. They didn't want to deal with shipping the grinder across the border and dealing with customs. Direct quotes from them:

"No we just don't like CA customs they like giving every one a hard time when the dollar value is high."
"No sorry check up there I heard there are some new grinder manufacturers."

Personally, after having service like that, I am glad I am kicking rocks and didn't spend $5KCAD+ on their 2x72.

Regardless, they make a great looking grinder, but their customer service, for me, wasn't there.

Ive always had great service from OBM. They answer all my questions in a timely manner and have always helped me out. Then again both their grinders are the only two I have owned so I dont have anything to compare it too.

If the belt grinder manufacturing industry was the music industry it would have all been over long ago. But, there’s real money to be had in that industry.

Just a couple clarifying points here that I just learned. They changed their name from Oregon to Origin when they started making knives in order to not compete with Blount's "Oregon" brand, since their trademark covers everything from chainsaws to pocket knives...OBM is just easier than writing out Origin Blade Maker.

Also Diktator is NOT the same company as OBM. OBM sells parts to Diktator.

Also OBMs grinder was released in 2014. Not sure when Northridge tools released theirs but everything I see online shows 2016, including their first Instagram post which was made in 2016.

We cant always believe something just because someone tells us its truth. There are two sides to every story.

Just my opinion and my research as I try to educate myself on the companies I support.

Last edited:
What's alarming to me about OBM and Diktator is that the text on their websites is almost verbatim. Now that doesn't mean they're the same company, but someone is copying someone there.

Stealing is wrong.

Also OBMs grinder was released in 2014. Not sure when Northridge tools released theirs but everything I see online shows 2016, including their first Instagram post which was made in 2016.

BTW, OBM might have released their first grinder back then, but the Mod-E is a different and much newer design. The “diktator” brand has it listed as the mini diktator. They were not making this model in ‘14. I’m not talking about their first grinder, which as far as I can tell was an original OBM design.

BTW, OBM might have released their first grinder back then, but the Mod-E is a different and much newer design. The “diktator” brand has it listed as the mini diktator. They were not making this model in ‘14. I’m not talking about their first grinder, which as far as I can tell was an original OBM design.
Gotcha, didn’t look at that. I bet ya though if you asked OBM, they would tell you a completely different side of the story.

At the end of the day having a choice is good, and trying to figure out who copied who can get exhausting.....they both make quality products here in America that as we can see are very similar.

ya probably won’t go wrong with either one.

Well one of the reasons all these grinder companies can not go after each other for their designs is because they were not the original ones to come up with them for the most part.

Stephen Bader has been making grinders for over 50 years and originated many design aspect in belt grinders including the "endless belt".

Was having beers and cigars with a buddy the other night, it started raining so we were in the shop. He was looking really hard at my Esteem (very similar to a Bader) and he gets all excited. Dude we could start making these! We'd make a killing!
Yeah dude, you and everyone one else. There's a new grinder company every time I turn around. Can't even keep track anymore.

Back