Votes: 140 43.5%
  • Clip - Nail Nick| Sheepsfoot - Long Pull

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Clip - Nail Nick | Sheepsfoot - Nail Nick

Votes: 23 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You are in Poll 6/8: Long Pull vs. Nail Nick

Welcome to ROUND 2 of the polls for the 2018 Blade Forums Traditional Knife Build. So far you all have built a 2 Bladed Buck 301, Clip and Sheepsfoot on opposite ends of the knife. See photo below for example. Your blade steel is CPM-154 with a tang stamp and the bolsters are NICKEL SILVER.

If you are unfamiliar with what has happened thus far, please visit the links below to see what happened in Round 1 of voting.

Resized_20180514_103004_2339.jpeg

Here we begin Round 2.

Once the final knife is chosen, we'll get into logistics for pre-orders, shipping, etc.

Be sure to keep the groupings in mind as you vote. The groupings are set up to build on each other each round, and should not conflict with each other. What I mean is that options can be chosen simultaneously within a grouping and then set the foundation for the next grouping. Obviously, you want to know the bolster material before you choose scales/handles, but choosing the steel and the bolster material at the same time will not change the look of the knife, and can therefore be grouped.

PLEASE be sure to read the poll choices carefully as each choice can be packed with many options. You'll notice that especially in Poll 5/8.

I'm going to run 8 total polls grouped into 3 separate rounds each running from Tuesday to Monday for the next 3 weeks:

Round 1 (week 1):

Poll 1/8: 2 Blades vs 3 Blades 301 - LINK HERE
Poll 2/8: Blade Steel LINK HERE
Poll 3/8: Bolsters LINK HERE

Round 2 (week 2):

Poll 4/8: Blade Grinds
- LINK HERE
Poll 5/8: Handle Materials - LINK HERE
Poll 6/8: Long Pull vs Nail Nick

Round 3 (week 3):

Poll 7/8: Stamp
Poll 8/8: Medallion & Pins
THE FINAL SAY Poll 9/8: Final choice of specific handle material

* I think it's fair to ask that if you have no interest in ordering a knife, please do not vote, but please do participate in the discussions!

Last edited:
I've gone for long pull on both but wouldn't mind the long pull on the clip blade only (though it might look weird?) and to be honest, if it's nail nick on both, I'll still buy it. Long pull is nice but not all all essential.

Last edited:
Given the relatively small width of the blades on the 301 buck, definitively a long thin nick (parallel to the blade spine) on the clip. Actually, the same would look nice on the sheepfoot (see picture below with the 2-blade Schrade jack knife [in the middle-top], where the secondary pen has a long pull; it looks nice- envision that as a sheep foot). Raul
Schrades-open.jpg

To be honest, the outcome of this one doesn't matter to me in the least...though I think I'd prefer both blades to have the same option. I haven't voted...but may do so later if I'm somehow swayed toward one or the other.

Long pulls on secondary blades are huge pet peeves for me.
I’m probably more passionate about this vote than the pattern itself.
I can see what you are saying but the shape of a sheepsfoot easily accommodates a long pull and it is generally well suited to a sheepsfoot.

It'd be kind of sweet to get long pulls on both.

But I'd be more than okay with a long pull on the clip and a nail nick on the sheepfoot.

Last edited:
I went long pull for the clip and nick for the sheepfoot because I think that is the more traditional pairing. And I feel like the short blade looks better with the smaller pull. But there isn't really any combination that I would be opposed to.

Longpull and nick, the classic pairing. But, I don't mind what is chosen - except for EZ-Open and no nicks!

This is one of those votes that I do not care too much about but I voted "main/long pull | secondary/nail nick". Looking over a few of my 2-blade jack variants, it seems that is the most classic look.

I find long pulls to be more aesthetically pleasing but nail nicks to be more utilitarian. Personal preference though.

Back