Official BK18 Harpoon Thread

I got my BK18 today and I may be in the minority here, but I have to say that I'm not a big fan of this blade shape. It feels like there's more steel on the blade than there should be. I actually like the black color better too after looking at all the pics here. Anyone want to trade?

So I ordered a third BK18 and should be delivered today. One is going to be for my edc and the other two for my kids, but will keep them in the safe for them. One thing, I am not looking out the window waiting like I was the other two, black and Tan.

Next on my list is the 62, but that won’t be until later this year. Then I will be on pins and needles waiting and looking out the window. Lol

I got my BK18 today and I may be in the minority here, but I have to say that I'm not a big fan of this blade shape. It feels like there's more steel on the blade than there should be. I actually like the black color better too after looking at all the pics here. Anyone want to trade?

I think that is the wonderful thing about the various offerings from the Becker lineup....there is something for everyone. I think that our "style" of knife use really determines the blade shape, size and type that better suits us. I like my 18...but probably still lean toward using my 15 more.

It's a twunnytwunny tweener.

I'd like it more with full-size handles and a 6 1/2" blade.

Still sweet, nevertheless.

:thumbsup:
I'll be ordering two soon, with micarta handles. Will call Ka-Bar first, to see if black, instead of whatever it is, is available. I do think that a bit longer blade, as you suggested, would make a better combat blade...

Thanks for the idea...

exRonin1949

I agree, 1/2” longer would be nice.

I'll be ordering two soon, with micarta handles. Will call Ka-Bar first, to see if black, instead of whatever it is, is available. I do think that a bit longer blade, as you suggested, would make a better combat blade...

Thanks for the idea...

exRonin1949

The black version of the bk18 is a dealer exclusive so im confident in saying that you wont be able to get that through kabar. But, hey, it never hurts to check with them. Good luck!

The BK18 is a great trailing point; it's the BK15 (which I adore) for those who may not have liked the trailing point of the BK15.

Like I've always said, if the BK17 and the BK15 had a baby ... it would be the BK18.

I don't consider the 18 a trailing point ... yes it comes to a fine tip ... but the tip actually lowers almost like a drop point. With the swedge and the curve of the blade into a fine point it's kind of a hybred to me. I just call these styles harpoons because they have some similar features but some that stand out also. Now the 15s are a trailing point ... and one of my favorite Beckers of all time (throw a 5 in with a 15 and i'm in heaven!)

I wouldnt mind seeing a Picture line up in this order, bk17, bk18, state and union 2, bk15.

Would look like a slow progression from clip point to trailing point.

I agree about the 18 looking like a combination of a 15 and 17. But the state and union 2 takes it another step towards the 15. The 18 being more 17ish while the state and union 2 is more 15ish.

I wouldnt mind seeing a Picture line up in this order, bk17, bk18, state and union 2, bk15.

Would look like a slow progression from clip point to trailing point.

I agree about the 18 looking like a combination of a 15 and 17. But the state and union 2 takes it another step towards the 15. The 18 being more 17ish while the state and union 2 is more 15ish.
Xr6x Xr6x is correct (and has an exceptional memory), I have all those...
GZxp9Kx.jpg

Thanks! Thats a nice looking grouping of knives! Aside for the s&u2 being the oddball not being a becker (still a kabar at least), they all really fit together.

Thanks, again!

Back