Official BK18 Harpoon Thread

Received my black BK18 from SMKW ... it was waiting on me when I got home tonight. I will have to snap a few pics soon. It looks good ... it's light in hand. I think I'm going to enjoy this one! I'll update that after I put it to use awhile.

Received my black BK18 from SMKW ... it was waiting on me when I got home tonight. I will have to snap a few pics soon. It looks good ... it's light in hand. I think I'm going to enjoy this one! I'll update that after I put it to use awhile.
Sometimes I think it looks good and others I think it looks odd. Maybe it’s both for me!

Sometimes I think it looks good and others I think it looks odd. Maybe it’s both for me!

I have grown to like the harpoon style blades ... I bought a couple Tops Hoffman Harpoon blades several years back ... but they are actual harpoon shaped blades with long wrapped handles that you can lash to a pole like a spear but have a short sharpened edge that was great for detailed work ... and I have used the smaller of the two (tied to a stick) for giggin' frogs ... and it is a handy little thing.

I started to use the swedge on another harpoon shaped blade to scrape wood fuzz that works great to get a fire going (and saves my sharpened edge) ... they have just been pretty useful for me ... I think this one will be too ... I should find out soon with spring knocking on the door.

Received my black bk18 today in the mail. Smaller than i was expecting. Thought it looked “taller” in pictures and video. But overall i like the blade size, very nimble. Its my first tweener handle and can see why liners would help.
The sheath is nice and sturdy. The belt loop on it makes me think of a heavy duty tactical belt. The loop has enough room for any sort of work belt or harness while remaining stiff enough to remain in place even with a small dress belt.

Just like others have said, blade coating is a nice semi-smooth. Not as smooth as earlier beckers but smoother than the newer beckers. I like it. I suspect itll strip similar to the earlier beckers as well.

Last edited:
Got my two black bk18s today and was quite happy with them. Very nice blade shape and coating. I have way too many Becker’s, when I opened the cabinet I store them in I forgot I went to town last Black Friday! Lots of cool scales and sheaths I need to get some use on.

Ordered the tan bk18 yesterday hope it comes soon.

Nice sheath!
ioS6Xzw.jpg

sMEU7AX.jpg

slightly wiggly grind near the top on this side, I think it will sharpen out eventually
WgD38YW.jpg
7PKccrW.jpg
nice semi smooth coating!
vuSKg1L.jpg
Next to the 16. You can really tell that one is a drop point and the other sweeps up when you put them side by side. The 16 looks like it might even have a slight forward cant which I have never noticed before. Maybe it is an optical illusion.
C25x3P8.jpg

dxcHvrZ.jpg

Awesome comparison photos..... Very helpful, their marketing depts. should of done That from the get go!
Thanks again!!!

Awesome comparison photos..... Very helpful, their marketing depts. should of done That from the get go!
Thanks again!!!

StrangeDaze StrangeDaze
Except now I'm confused at the "height of the blade" isn't it supposed to be taller than the 16? Not counting the harpoon part.....Your bottom photo looks like the edge is in the Same location for both???

StrangeDaze StrangeDaze
Except now I'm confused at the "height of the blade" isn't it supposed to be taller than the 16? Not counting the harpoon part.....Your bottom photo looks like the edge is in the Same location for both???
if you expand the picture you can see a little bit of the bk18s edge peeking from behind the 16. It is a little taller, but not as much i thought it would be. I actually envisioned the 18 having a longer blade than the 16 as well.

if you expand the picture you can see a little bit of the bk18s edge peeking from behind the 16. It is a little taller, but not as much i thought it would be. I actually envisioned the 18 having a longer blade than the 16 as well.

From the initial photos shared, and talk of that extra height adding to the blade so fingers wouldn't get pinched on a cutting board.....?
I am thinking now, this Isn't the case? Kinda wish it was at least a half and inch taller still.... More, even. :/
I hope we get some more user reviews here?
I'm sure tons will be flooding in during the next couple weeks..... I look forward to them!

Wow, I am getting one for sure. It looks like a fun knife to use. It looks a lot beefier than the 16 but I guess it really is not that much bigger according to the pics. Hope everyone is doing well. Its nice to see BK&T is still going strong!

More pics, it looks like the 18 does have a slightly longer blade and also cutting edge. I also took more of the width difference that I believe shows the difference more accurately.
Even though the added width doesn’t completely clear my knuckles from the table, you can see in the photos it helps the blade come in contact with the cutting surface a lot sooner.
6gegoqz.jpg

The bk18 on top of the bk15
VmlLD3R.jpg

d1wtlZN.jpg

new coating vs old
aNMDR7T.jpg

cutting edge comparisons
K44v340.jpg

96uDAvG.jpg

overall length comparison
X5uFUjl.jpg

I had the ends lined up as best as I could
Rlt6FvI.jpg
tw2VnE7.jpg
sqi5Lov.jpg

doing the best I could to take some clearance pictures keeping my knuckles flat.

WUblYLZ.jpg
2GlqY7s.jpg
4CLK5ka.jpg
Where each one makes contact with cutting surface
EbrehpH.jpg

better width comparison with the bk16

More pics, it looks like the 18 does have a slightly longer blade and also cutting edge. I also took more of the width difference that I believe shows the difference more accurately.
Even though the added width doesn’t completely clear my knuckles from the table, you can see in the photos it helps the blade come in contact with the cutting surface a lot sooner.
6gegoqz.jpg

VmlLD3R.jpg

d1wtlZN.jpg

new coating vs old
aNMDR7T.jpg

cutting edge comparisons
K44v340.jpg

96uDAvG.jpg

X5uFUjl.jpg

Rlt6FvI.jpg
tw2VnE7.jpg
sqi5Lov.jpg

doing the best I could to take some clearance pictures keeping my knuckles flat.

WUblYLZ.jpg
2GlqY7s.jpg
4CLK5ka.jpg
EbrehpH.jpg

Excellent.

6gegoqz.jpg

VmlLD3R.jpg

d1wtlZN.jpg

new coating vs old
aNMDR7T.jpg

cutting edge comparisons
K44v340.jpg

96uDAvG.jpg

X5uFUjl.jpg

Rlt6FvI.jpg
tw2VnE7.jpg
sqi5Lov.jpg

WUblYLZ.jpg
2GlqY7s.jpg
4CLK5ka.jpg
EbrehpH.jpg

Thanks for those pics. Good comparison.

Back