Official Order Thread for the Koster Knives BushMaster Production Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've now started the BushMaster Elites finally.....whew!

Here are some teaser pics....:p

Side view:
BushMasterTT100622-01.jpg

view of the underside (tip in the bottom left):
BushMasterTT100622-02.jpg

Booty pic: :D :eek: :p
BushMasterTT100622-03.jpg

These taper very nicely....but they are a PAIN to do....don't expect this ever again on any future runs!

So, why do I taper the tang? even though it's already lighter because of being skeletonized?

Here's why:

Blade as-is (standard BushMaster Blank) =

Weighs exactly 6.0 ounces.

Blade with a tapered tang =

Weighs 4.6 ounces.

That's a 25% weight reduction. What is already a fairly light, easy-to-carry knife now becomes an ultralight knife with a fullsize handle and full flat grind from 3/16" oversize CPM3V steel (read: TOUGH).

This is the most Blade-For-Buck you can get. It doesn't get any better than this in terms of Maximizing Function.

The Ironwood handles will just be icing on the cake. :D

Glue-up starts tomorrow!

Dan

2 hrs later.....

3 more tangs done.

Holy Crap....this is tougher than flat grinding Survivors!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dan

Well done Dan. :thumbup:

I have a Tom blade of similar dimension with the same ultralight option and I have to say the feeling in hand is unbelievable.
You don't want to put down the knife ever.

Thanks, Bro.

More tang tapering this morning...!!!

:eek:

Dan

I somehow finished the tapered tangs late last night. I wanted to shoot myself in BOTH feet. I wasn't sure I'd want to get out of bed this morning...but somehow managed it....:eek:

I'm sure it'll be worth it for you guys and I'll be able to look back someday and think "Oh....it wasn't really that bad".....

Someday....

:p

Dan

GREAT NEWS - in an hour or two I am off to Tom Krein's shop today to do the handle drilling for the Bushmaster Elites.

Like I said before, I am doing just the first 10 that are PIF. I already have the handles cut out and the liners glued up. Just need to drill the handles. But because the tang is tapered, it requires a special jig. And that special jig is over at Tom's place. ;)

Wish me luck!

:thumbup:

Dan

Great seeing the progress–I'm sure these will be well worth the wait, and a pleasure to use. Meantime, it's not as if I haven't had anything else to cut with!

I'm back from Tom's shop and the glue-up process has begun!

Dan

Pics for your enjoyment!

I have to use a special jig to do this and yes, I should build my own...but in the meantime, I can use the one at Tom's shop.

Here is a pic of the setup drilling the smaller holes:

attachment.php

And a pic showing the large hole after drilling:

attachment.php

Then I have to flip it over while the handle is still clamped on - in order to counterbore the handles.

attachment.php

So, by this time, you guys are probably wondering "Why all the fuss?".

Look here:

attachment.php

See the angle the handle slab is set at?

Normally, I can just clamp one handle slab to the tang, set it down on the stand and drill right through it. 3 times on a "F" (0.254") drill bit, once with a 3/8" bit.

But if I did that here, the holes drilled from both side would make a wide "V" instead of a straight line.

So, I have to clamp the knife in this jig that holds the knife by the blade ensuring that it's perpendicular to the drill bit and when the 2 slabs come together, the holes align in a straight line.

If that doesn't make sense...then you'll just have to trust me. :D

The difference is that it takes me about 8 times as long to drill the slabs for each knife.

Anyway....the first 10 are done now....:D

Have a look:

attachment.php

Will be glued-up today/tomorrow.

Dan

Attachments

• smallholes.jpg
    smallholes.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 593
  • largehole.jpg
    largehole.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 592
  • counterbore.jpg
    counterbore.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 591
  • sideview.jpg
    sideview.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 589
  • done.jpg
    done.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 594
Got them roughed out this morning:

BushMasterTT100629-01.jpg

These look amazing.

Bravo, Dan, and congrats to all who ordered one!

My bushmaster is my "one knife" and I'm sure these will see some great use.

Thanks for the kind words. These will be Beauty AND the Beast !!!

Dan

Another note - I do have leather sheaths in stock and will be able to ship immediately upon finishing these. :thumbup:

Dan

I now have a new way of processing knife orders. For the most part it is no different than what I already do. There is just one signicificant difference regarding finishing knives. Once your knife is glued-up I send out an email to let you know. When final payment arrives, I finish the knives and then send them. If you need more time for payment, no worries. If you want your knife as soon as possible, just make final payment as soon as possible. I typically will take 1-2 weeks after final payment is arranged to finish up your knife and have it ready to ship.

Updates are posted in the first or second post on the first page.

Here is a link to the new process: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753240 please take some time to read it.

Thanks!

Dan

Hi Dan,

Any ETA on the Extra BushMasters? You mentioned that the production will start after the Elite's are done, but I see that some elite orders are still not paid in full (PIF). Thus, I wonder how would you determine when to start working on the extras, considering that theoretically some of the Elite orders may never be PIF? Any thoughts on that?

Any news?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back