Official Pen Knife Review Thread

At this rate, I'll be able to hand-deliver to Yvsa when I head east in June ! Isuppose a slow passaround is good - no one wants to give it up! :)

Maybe we should all send a sneaky email to Steven (im2smrt4u@yahoo.com) - perhaps he has been too busy with all his other passarounds?

Dan

Thanks, Steven. Just kidding about the emails, btw. :eek: :footinmou

Nice knife in the avatar. :cool:

All the discussion about the PenKnife finally got my attention. After the convention, I ordered one from Uncles stash that I had seen in the 'warehouse'.

I sorta like it as it is. I do think, the pouches, karda, chakma could be eliminated for a closer fit to the side. Same kind of sheath and frog, but none of the traditional accessories. Just my opinion......

Real handy for lopping off a few branches on my Willow Tree and pretty good at slicing.

Dale,

I agree and that was the intent when I designed it. However, Bura thought differently and I have to admit, the karda and chakma are kinda cute...:D

I do think that having the scabbard a little thinner could be a nice option, but I think the karda and chakma are still handy to have even on the Pen knife.

My first impression of the knife was "WOW! This thing is FAST!" It swung like there was nothing there at all! I figured it was probably Bura's magical touch I was feeling.

The second thing I noticed was the scabbard. The knife dropped in there very nicely and was removed just as easily. I was very impressed! Does Bura make the scabbards too?

Then, I started examining the knife more. The handle was very small and thin, but still very secure under use. The designs on the sides of the blade were a very nice touch. How are those put on there?

Finally, I examined the edge. Quite a few people had already seen the knife before me I'd imagine, but it still had a very useable edge. The one thing I noticed were the couple dings in the edge. That got me wondering...what Rockwell hardness are the edges on most khukuris? Has anyone ever tested one? The leaf springs should be made from 5160, and the kamis use a coal forge, right? If so, then there should be more than enough carbon in the steel to give it a very high hardness if desired.

Thanks for the chance to check out this knife Dan! :D

(and no, I wasn't offended by your post. My last post was in jest.)

Back