Official "Return of the YCS" thread - updates posted here

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Keep this thread bookmarked to see the current status of the​
Return of the YCS
special-order project.​

**LAST UPDATED = 9/7**

There's lots to read here and you need to keep checking this first post to see the latest information.

It's been a couple of years since we had a good run of the YCS.....we may have a few bugs to work out this time around....whatever ideas/changes we propose will need to go through Yvsa first.

The price is fixed at $225. Heckuva deal if you ask me.

I can't promise that you'll get a certain hardwood of your choosing, but when they arrive, Uncle and I will make sure we handle it in the fairest way possible. Any suggestions?

Here is the Official Sign-Up list - in order of prepayment. We are now accepting prepayments.

Preferences are listed 1st, 2nd or 3rd.
  • Mr.BadExample - - - - Osage, ex. wood
  • Russ Kay - - - - ex. wood
  • John Trout
  • mPisi - - - - fancy horn
  • mPisi - - - - ex. wood
  • Dave Hahn - - - - antler, ex. wood
  • Aardvark - - - - ex. wood
  • Wesley Hoenshel - - - - cocobolo, purpleheart, ex. wood
  • Svashtar
  • ecll
  • ArchAngel - - - - horn, antler
  • BrianInChi - - - - bone, antler, ex. wood
  • pmel018 - - - - ex. wood
  • John Satchell
  • John Satchell
  • Cinquedea
  • Nasty - - - - sandalwood, bone, or antler
  • hollowdweller - - - - sandalwood
  • Snake Bitten - - - - cocobolo, purpleheart
  • empty5853 - - - - ex. wood
  • Steely Gunz - - - - anything
  • mamav - - - - purpleheart
  • luopo
  • manghu67 - - - - purpleheart, ex. wood
  • Anon Y. Mouse - - - - osage, ex. wood
  • Daniel Koster
*special "ladies-only" exception for mamav - we will make sure you get purpleheart if we get one.

All YCS models will have the following:

1 - standard bolster
2 - steel fittings
3 - no cho creep
4 - rounded chape
5 - tooled scabbard - no longer an option
6 - convex edge
7 - Made by Sher
8 - exotic wood
9 - chiruwa tang

How do I make prepayment?

Glad you asked first. ;)

1 - Pay through the Yahoo store here: (link not yet available)

2 - Send Uncle Bill a check or money order

3 - Make payment through Paypal = himimp@aol.com

Notice that nowhere does it say send money to me. :D

However, you must let me know that you have sent your prepayment.

IMPORTANT: If you have a question - send it to me. I'm doing most of the arranging on this, everything except receiving the actual payment and shipping them out. You need to send all communication through me. This is for your own good. If you send something to Uncle and I don't know about it....don't expect me to act on your behalf when the due date comes.

This is likely going to be the most awesome special-order run we've ever had. If you don't get in on it now, you'll be sure to regret it later. And it won't be my fault.....:D

Will there only be one made with "lignum fatguyus"?

I don't have any money anyways.

Forget it.

Unless you're handing out a few coupons. :)

All YCS models will have the following:

1 - standard bolster
2 - steel fittings
3 - no cho creep
4 - rounded chape
5 - tooled scabbard
6 - convex edge
7 - Made by Sher
8 - exotic wood
9 - chiruwa tang

Scha-wing!! Yowza! Whoo-hoo! :eek: :D :D

Once again, Dan, sounds like you've got things under control. When is the pre-pay cut off date? i'd like to wait a little bit to send out my check. End of the month you know. Bills, Rent, etc. However, i do have the money at hand. thats no biggie. Let me be the first the thank you and Uncle Bill for taking on this headache. a lot of the fellas (and Mamav, of course;)) have been eyeing a YCS for a long while. Thanks a bunch:) Also, personally, i have no preference to anything special in this matter. Any wood, design, or tooling is fine by me. I'll send in my check and as long as i get one then i'll be happy:)

Thanks again!
~Jake

Wonder if I could just not eat for a month and put the money towards this? :rolleyes: No, probably not. Hmmm... anyone need a kidney or something? You can live with just one right? ;) Enjoy your YCSes guys, I'm sure these are going to be great.

Er, Mr. Koster......sir? I'm only a thick Brit newbie, so could you tell me what a 'YCS' is, please? A picture would be a real help, if one exists.
Having asked, I don't think the purse will stretch to anything just yet - this house move (due to happen next Wednesday) has really caused a dose of financial cramp.
I'd still like to know, though.
Thanks.

Derek.

Here's a classic photo by a forumite:
YCS Picture
(no that's not a big notch in the blade, rather the reflection of the sheath)

Edit:
Here's a link to the last (and only, AFAIK) time chiruwa-YCS were offered in the forum: Special Sher YCS

attachment.php

That's one of the pics I plan on sending over (after a little photo-editing).

Refer to this thread for more info on the special run:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307245

Thanks Gents.
I'm now feeling officially deprived. Not only a thick Brit, but a broke one, too.
The pictures are enough to get my saliva glands working overtime and drooling just isn't becoming in a grown man.
Never fear! I'll have a khuk from HI one day, mark my words, even if it isn't as beautiful as this current offer.

Dan did you get my mail? I'm worried its not working again....

on the bolsters too - can they be shallow like the older style kuks?

you know kinda shorter....

See #1 - standard bolster (ie., not habaki)

Got your email. will reply tonight.

Im being so dumb here but I mean like the standard ones that are real shallow, like the vintage ones people have posted pics of....

I'm sure its probably too hard to request details like that though, as well as the no initials thing.....

like these http://www.toratoratora.co.uk/forum/uploads/spiraltwista/2004-07-23_093347_DSC03931.jpg

or like any of these posted by spiraltwista

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306753

as opposed to deep standard ones like on the M43 here...

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/new.html

Dan - I'm good for one, but don't see my name up in lights...

ps: Scented Sandalwood is first choice, but like you, a surprise might be best if that's not available.

YCS_WHITE.jpg

I am the current owner of this one. ACStudios owned it and took the pix, then I later got it from Forumite D7Reamers. Its a Sanu, real silver fittings.

Keith

Details have been sent to Bill. Now it's hurry-up-and-wait.

Back