Official sign up list for short 17"- 18" Foxy Folly.

Aardvark said:
Hey, Yvsa, does anyone have contact with Foxjaw? I'm thinking he might be interested in this incarnation of his idea. I know he really wanted a fighter, not a chopper.
I don't know Aardvark. Will you find his email and let him know? It would be a great help.:)

samoand said:
Yvsa, please add me to the list.
- best regards
Done, and thanks.:D

Thomas Linton said:
For everyone's benefit - and sanity - we need to ask that the finished product be well-oiled before shipment.
Added it to the requirements, thanks Tom, something I hadn't thought of.;)

Thomas Linton said:
For everyone's benefit - and sanity - we need to ask that the finished product be well-oiled before shipment. Three of my last four have had the dreaded "Black Spot." :eek: Nothing that can't be buffed off but a waste of good polishing effort by the Kami's. :(

I would like to add a request that they be well sharpened out of the box. I'm learning how to sharpen khukuris, but it's a trial-and-error process, and I'd rather not have to put this beautiful new blade at risk right away.

Chris

chrisbrogden said:
I would like to add a request that they be well sharpened out of the box. I'm learning how to sharpen khukuris, but it's a trial-and-error process, and I'd rather not have to put this beautiful new blade at risk right away.

Chris
Chris, hopefully they will be, but if we keep adding things to the requirements we're gonna have a $500.00 khuk and personally I doubt many, if any, would go for that. Sorry, maybe one of the guys like Dan or Nasty will sharpen it for you if need be.:) I would, but it takes too long for me to get around to it it seems. Have to wait for one of those exceptional days where I feel like standing up that long at a time.:(

I sent an email to Foxy's public email address, describing what's going on with his baby. I'll keep you posted. Or better still, he will.

Aardvark said:
I sent an email to Foxy's public email address, describing what's going on with his baby. I'll keep you posted. Or better still, he will.
Many Thanks Aardvark!!!!:D

Yvsa said:
Chris, hopefully they will be, but if we keep adding things to the requirements we're gonna have a $500.00 khuk and personally I doubt many, if any, would go for that. Sorry, maybe one of the guys like Dan or Nasty will sharpen it for you if need be.:) I would, but it takes too long for me to get around to it it seems. Have to wait for one of those exceptional days where I feel like standing up that long at a time.:(

Yvsa,

Sorry to hear your're not feeling well.

Is it typical for khukuris to come dull out of the box? I don't want a razor sharp edge (too much chipping), but I also don't want to be able to run it down my arm with a lot of pressure and have it feel like a butter knife. I've had a couple of khuks arrive this way before and it's a PITA for someone with my (lack of) sharpening skills to get a serviceable edge on them.

You're right, though; that's a good idea about asking a forum member whose sharpening skills are better than mine (ha, like that narrows it down! :)) if they'd be willing to hone the convex edge for me if I'm having trouble. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Chris

That's the nice thing about the convex edge. Your repeated efforts will end up rounding both sides and meeting in the middle. Just keep on sharpening and you'll get closer and closer until one day it's there!!!

chrisbrogden said:
Yvsa,

Sorry to hear your're not feeling well.

Is it typical for khukuris to come dull out of the box?

You're right, though; that's a good idea about asking a forum member whose sharpening skills are better than mine (ha, like that narrows it down!

Chris
Chris, actually these days I'm feeling quite well, just have a disability that I have to live with is all.:)

All the khuks I have gotten aren't as sharp as they could be, unsatisfactory edges for me, and for most of us I understand.:(
Not nearly as bad as the 1/16" thick soft enough to file non-edge the AC military issue comes with.:eek: :rolleyes: :grumpy:

Dan, Nasty, and a couple of others will/would be glad to sharpen your khuk into a proper convex edge on their belt sanders, which is what I would and do use on my own khuk's.
Once you have a proper convexed edge they are pretty easy to maintain.
The cost would be minimal to probably free except for postage in some cases.
I sharpened one for Hollowdweller for free except for postage, ask him about the belt produced convexed edge.:D
Munk gave me a nice little Browning knife for reprofiling his 25" AK edge and sharpening it but didn't need too.
Thanks again Munk!:D

Fair enough. And, for the price, I can't complain.

For those of who live in apartments and can't use/don't have belt grinders, would sandpaper on a block do the job? Which grits would be best?

Thanks,

Chris

Yes...it just takes longer. You'd use the same grit levels as we do, starting around 180 and working your way up. Hopefully, you spend 90% of your time with the first two (consider them rough and medium - maybe 180 and 320) and the remaining 10% polishing (above 320 to green rouge). A wood block with a matching piece of mousepad glued to it would do fine. What we do in minutes might take you a relaxing hour manually. As Dan has said...pick a good movie to watch while you do it.

This is pretty much how they were sharpened historically...a manual method. How bad could it be?

texalp said:
Glad you're feeling better. Please Add me to the list. Thanks Al.
Done, and thanks Al!:D

Looks like this is gonna be a more popular khukuri than even I imagined! Who knew so many were interested, even maybe Lusting after a 17" - 18" Foxy Folly as I am?:eek: :D
Pleases me to no end it does!!!!:D :D :D :cool: :D :D :D

You can't go wrong with a traditional design constructed by hand in a traditional manner.

Now, about those carbon fiber handle inlays...

:)
Chris

:D As long as they don't show up as a box of chainsaws with karda's we'll all be thank you Yvsa. If they do we can't blame you.

I hope the Kami's get it right this time. If they would have followed my original model rather than making em thick as a brick the folly would have light and quick.

Fox

foxjaw said:
I hope the Kami's get it right this time. If they would have followed my original model rather than making em thick as a brick the folly would have light and quick.

Fox
Fox, what does the original khuk you used for the model weigh? The FF is still my favorite heavy khuk and is the reason I have commited my Super Salyan and GRS to another Cantinanista.:D
I no longer have any use for them.:D

And I'm praying these come out right. With the requirements we've set forth hopefully things will be done right!!!!:eek: :D

Back