Oh Golly.... What A Weekend...!!

Got a used AK Bowie that had the coffin-type handle slabs on it. Those got rounded and the blade got a new convex edge and satin finish.

Pics:

Left Side
bowie-left.jpg

Right Side
bowie-right.jpg

Spine
bowie-spine.jpg

:cool: WOW! that is one of the most beautiful knives
I've ever seen. Outstanding effort Dan.
Regards,
Greg

Edit: Nice job on the bowie also.

Thanks Greg!

Still more to come...!

I'm trying to help "sell" the convex edge and you guys let me know if works, ok?

Here's a cleaver - oldie but goodie - that now has a nice convex edge (courtesy Bruce Bump):

Left Side (notice the nice patina left on)
cleaver-left.jpg

Right Side
cleaver-right.jpg

Grind
cleaver-grind.jpg

Spine
cleaver-spine.jpg

Greg reminded that I forgot to mention the maker of my GRS = Bura.

Back to the knive reviews...

Hope y'all are enjoying this as much as I am...:D

I just thought I'd add a little eye candy until Bill gets back. I think this thread is on its way to becoming the more multimedia-intensive posts I've ever made. :eek:

The GRS is scarry. Looks like some of the YCS flaws that caused so many problems a year or so ago.

Great job on the moose-handled special. Specs on the blade?

Thanks for the convex edge pic. Sorta answeres a coupla questions I had. Does that mean that to put on a convex edge on some of the flat ground ones, I have to remove a lot of steel? I guess that would depend on what the intended use was. Also the amount of "convexity" desired.

Now we're finally getting to the reason I've been posting all these pics - Sharpness Test.

Hope this knocks your socks off...

Remember when Ankerson posted his freehanging paper test?

We're taking it to a new level... :eek:

Again, a number of videos showing paper-cutting (which is very important in self-defense and wilderness survival :rolleyes: ) tests with the 3 knives just mentioned.

First, the antler knife:

Antler Knife (1,354 Kb)

1 Sheet of Paper (1,747 Kb)

10 Sheets of Paper (1,732 Kb)

20 Sheets of Paper (631 Kb)

Now, just to show that any convex edge of any size can get the job done right:

AK Bowie Test (2,471 Kb)

and

Cleaver Test (1,370 Kb)

So, any questions?

:D

Originally posted by BruiseLeee
Does that mean that to put on a convex edge on some of the flat ground ones, I have to remove a lot of steel?

It does depend on the blade. In creating the new convex edge on the AK Bowie, I had to hold the blade so that the spine was within about 1/8" of the belt. Because the previous grind was slightly hollow (concave) it actually started cutting at the top of the bevel first. Eventually (after about 20 minutes of grinding) I got a smooth transition from the surface of the blade to the cutting edge.

The other thing that happens is that the "edge" become taller. Does that make sense? = since you are essentially removing the bevel and making the whole knive an edge.

Dan

I tried the same test with the JKM in my desk. It just sorta crumpled the paper. :(

But it's convex. :D

Originally posted by BruiseLeee
I tried the same test with the JKM in my desk. It just sorta crumpled the paper.
:D

I always return knives sharper than I got them...

:eek:

:p

We could start a pool for how many hours with a chakma it will take to redo the edge on that GRS!:)

:eek:

Edit:
I just watched the paper-cutting movies.:(
I have much to learn.:(

Pen,

Thanks for some interesting posts.

I'm wondering what you do with all the little pieces of paper or don't you let them get that small. Hoghead likes to make his into confetti size stuff. I'm thinking i should start a business:rolleyes: He's also into shaving the print off the newspaper. I mean without cutting the paper.I tried to make him a note with all the pieces, but my fingers stuck together:rolleyes: :D

I am glad to know that the rest of you play around with this stuff, too:D

I at least think I see what you mean. Or maybe I'm agreeing so I don't look so stoopid. That's why the blade on the AK bowie looks a little stubby. The removal of metal for the edge shortened the blade a little. I can see by the reflection where the sides of the blade start to roll into the convex shape.

At least I think I see that. :confused:

Noticed that the bevels on khuks can vary alot. Prefer a thicker bevel on the bigger khuks or knives in general. Indeed any or all khuks should be sharp, but don't plan on using a large AK as a scapel. Like the AK Bowie Dan. Great work!

Wow, Dan, I get the feeling we're in trouble when there's another FOUR-day weekend. That's very impressive.

I like that cleaver handle a lot, especially the drop at hte end. Real classy.

The antler-knife is a real beauty. Impressive tests - guess I`ve got a lot to learn...
Andreas

Great stuff, Dan. The picture of the busted up blade is kind of scary. I would really like to know what causes that to happen. I just can't imagine a piece of wood doing that to a steel blade.:eek:

Ben

Originally posted by btice
Great stuff, Dan. The picture of the busted up blade is kind of scary. I would really like to know what causes that to happen. I just can't imagine a piece of wood doing that to a steel blade.:eek:

Ben

My GRS would've done the same thing had I kept chopping with it after the first big chip. My chip was as deep as Dan's but longer.:(
I brought the knife home and put a convex edge on it, but I startet with a different angle on the belt ang got a lot more obtuse radius than Dan did on the AK Bowie. It's not that the knives are too hard!!!!
It's that they Do Not Have the old Convex Edge. My older H.I.'s are just as hard as my GRS and with their good convex edges they have never given me a moments care.
This is what caused the beautiful YCS to be canceled as
well.:( :( :( :(

Now y'all know why I've been bitchin' about it for so long, hunh?:rolleyes: :p

Back