Ok, guess I need to take action about the HI Trolls

Spark

HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
This is one of the most active forums on BFC. It also is one of the more heavily trolled ones.

I'm sick of seeing locked thread after locked thread, so I'm probably going to make this forum restricted to paying members. Registered Users will still be able to read, but they'll have to pay to post in here.

Since we have a $10 Basic Membership now, this should quickly seperate the wheat from the chaff and return the HI forum to normal discussion, not to mention put a dent in someone's wallet should they continue to play games.

I'm open to opinions on this, but my feeling is that if you aren't willing to pony up a minimum of a $10 fee for a years worth of community here (not to mention avatars & sigs) then.... well you've heard it before.

Spark said:
This is one of the most active forums on BFC. It also is one of the more heavily trolled ones.

I'm sick of seeing locked thread after locked thread, so I'm probably going to make this forum restricted to paying members. Registered Users will still be able to read, but they'll have to pay to post in here.

Since we have a $10 Basic Membership now, this should quickly seperate the wheat from the chaff and return the HI forum to normal discussion, not to mention put a dent in someone's wallet should they continue to play games.

I'm open to opinions on this, but my feeling is that if you aren't willing to pony up a minimum of a $10 fee for a years worth of community here (not to mention avatars & sigs) then.... well you've heard it before.

i'd pay spark, but ... it seems i'm having problems... i'm from Canada... can you email me with details, am i doing something wrong?

Is there any way to allow established regulars to post in here?

If not, maybe restrict posting new threads, but not posting entirely!

If you are having problems, see the Paying subscriptions thread in the Service & Support forum

If we would just ignore the trolls and not respond to them, they would go away. Trolls like the confrontation, energy stealers. Not worth the effort.
Can't necessarily agree to 'sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me'. If meeting one of these trolls were to be met in person they would be mealy mouthed .Of course, a smack or two wouldn't be out of line. AND I am usually a quiet , peaceful person.

So, will there be some sort of announcement when/if this takes place, or will registered users just no longer be able to post one of these days?

--Josh

What about when trolls have paid, Kevin? If a troll was willing to pay $50 once (as has happened), why wouldn't he be willing to pay $10 numerous times? Yeah, it would get expensive, but trolls don't exactly make sense.

Any chance of scripting to grandfather?

John

On the one hand, it will force me to get a membership which I have been postponing because something always seems to come up which takes my money. On the other hand, we seem to have ONE very persistant, repeat offender troll. Can anything be done to stop him? Make us pay here and he may just go to the Busse threads or someplace else here. The whole site should be made pay to post if that is the solution, not just the Cantina crew. Or is that what you are proposing?

I have to agree with Spectre. This guy is obsessed. He's already paid $50 once, I don't think $10 is going to do the trick any better.

I suppose that giving one's real name *might* be a prerequisite for membership if we were forced to pay (though I think some might find that obtrusive). I guess one could just not accept a membership fee from someone named, say, John Cade?

Credit cards in that name could be refused to be accepted. Would we then be forced to pay with means that identified us, such as CC or PayPal? What about those who wanted to pay with a money order?

$10 certainly is no major obstacle in and of itself, but we want to solve problems, not create more. What mechanism will be used to guarantee known trolls from rejoining? (And I'm not even suggesting you "have" to tell us, either, just wanting to be sure it's been adequately considered.)

John

Has this troll been using multiple IPs? Can we block him by IP?
I'm already paid up, but I'd hate to lose a large part of our community just because of one jackass.

Doesn't swordforums make you use your real name? I think that is why I never joined up there. I used to use my real name here and at another site (Guitar and music oriented). It caused some problems, some guy made death threats to me. Probably just BSing, but I had my real info out there and there are some nuts running around you know. I NEVER use my real info now. I don't want to make it easy for the wackos. Unfortunately, the wackos can also hide their identities. If I had to pay here and post my actual name and contact info, I would half to think long and hard about it.

Maybe a little less work for Rusty and me when I'm well enough to work.

I'm easy. Whatever works and makes the most people happy.

It's the price of a very open forum that allows free speech to near excess. If I'd deleted every post I've wanted to delete we wouldn't be in this fix but my conscience wouldn't and won't allow me do that.

Then let's allow karma to work Bill...let us continue to stumble through this as we have been. You like the old sayings...cream floats.

Back