Ok, guess I need to take action about the HI Trolls

I agree with Spectre. Trolls don’t care about paying registration fees because they feed on our hatred to them (for their daily “fix”, trolls will pay anything). This is their entertainment, and sometimes their livelihood. Also I agree with Aardvark and Hollowdweller, the Forum will loose some regulars who are bona fide forumites that contribute positively each day, and some well-intended newcomers who may want to share with us for their first time may just remain lurkers, but I also now that many others will gladly pay a registration fee. I wish that we could find a long-term solution to this situation, because I see this as short-term patchwork.

:eek:

If -everyone- here would just ignore suspected trolls

(adding a user name to your Ignore list is -very- handy)

then we would not have a problem.

Trolls want confrontation in whatever form they can create it.

The only good solution for everyone

&

the simplest solution

is to simply stop talking to them.

~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<> call me
'Dean' :)-FYI-FWIW-IIRC-JMO-M2C-YMMV-TIA-YW-GL-HH-HBD-IBSCUTWS-TWotBGUaDUaDUaD
<> Tips <> Baha'i Prayers Links--A--T--H--D

I see a 30 dollar Gold subscription - I don't see the ten. Where is it?

I'd be willing to ignore trolls and support the site.

I do wonder if HI sales will suffer- and therefore the families in Nepal.

munk

I wish it wouldn't come to that, we just might lose alot of new members in the future that could contribute alot.
Perhaps having a moderator on Troll patrol is not in the cards.

Looks like I owe $10

I'll pony up if that is what it takes. I am leary about posting my actual name. I think it should go across the whole forums though, not just the Cantina. I was gone for a few months and stuff changed here some. Are there other areas that are pay to post already or would this be a precedent? Because if you only lock a troll out of the Cantina, they can just go someplace else.

how about ISP banning of the memers that keep haunting the boards with multiple registrations, I would be that would take care of quite a few.

It's not as if these guys are doing any actual damage anyway, words fly but we are all mature here and don't think about it twice.

(Have gotten some laughs from the ridicule posted. :) OTOH, I know we don't want to breed an inharmonious spirit, since that would be contrary to what makes this place so great.)

Spark knows a lot more about banning IPs than I do. Banning some IPs- depending on provider- could lock out a whole range of users. If he-who-shall-not-be-named doesn't use one of those providers, lock 'em out.

J

Not to troll... ;) but when I was banned I could not access and post on any other part of Bladeforums cause I guess they don't (didn't?) have the capacity to just ban you from one forum.

In other words you could have no problems on any of the other Bladeforum Forums, but because you were banned on one, you were banned on all.

So if that's the case does this mean that to post on all of the Bladeforums Forums you will have to pay ten bucks? Or do they have a way of making it HI specific?

Not to be offensive, but it would seem to me that this would be more about making money than controlling trolls. :confused:

I can make it restricted to paying members only, just like the For Sale forums. We have that flexibility. If it was just about money, I'd shut down the whole site since it loses money in the long run.

The crux right now is that it doesn't cost a troll anything other than their time to continue to reregister under new names. Start hitting them in their wallet, and they'll get tired pretty quickly.

When I read a post by an obvious idiot, I make a mental note to ignore him in the future. Nothing gets to a troll like seeing no responses day after day. Perhaps we could start a "Shun trolls" movement? Does anyone think that would help? I don't know... :confused:

Can we also have mass deletion of posts by recurrent trolls? Tends to dispirit them, when it takes 10 seconds to delete an hour's worth of they're typng, if yuu now what I men.

Bri, it's called DFTT. Don't Feed The Troll(s). It is now my policy, once "the symptoms" show.

John

Spectre said:
Bri, it's called DFTT. Don't Feed The Troll(s). It is now my policy, once "the symptoms" show.

John
The problem is to get everyone to ignore the trolls. The last time the known troll came back I put him on ignore. When they talk to their self enough they might get tired and quit but I don't know.
I'm willing to go ten bucks even though now living on a fixed income even ten bucks is a hardship sometimes.
I have given up my Analog subscription because the print is too small to read anymore so I will use part of that money so it's a no brainer for me.

I'm a hothead...but pledge to <ignore this user> henceforth.

I've completed the payment process for basic membership, Sparks. Still don't know what to do about the other issues, or if this has any effect whatsoever, but the price of a discount gun mag sub is hardly a big enough thing not to give to Bladeforums, where I get a lot more fun.

munk

Do what you have to do Spark. I think the trolls will just find another playground here. They have a level of obsessive behavior that is spectacular. If you could channel it into something worthwhile you could work miracles.

The purpose of a forum is to have open dialogue for people to share knowledge , form contacts and gleen information. If you want to impose restrictions then it is a club and not a forum. The paying of a membership to keep the forum up or provide some benefits is reasonable, but not for restricting people. My family has been in every war to prevent the Nazi/Dictator party line. Like Spectre stated that Trolls thrive on confrontation (present Troll excluded). Just ignore them or have fun at thier expense if you want to waste the time. We are ALL going to not like what someone has to say at some point, but don't label them right of the bat.
I think the Moderators monitor this site quite well and will step in to curtail any Cantina fights that might evolve from Trolls.
Sharks_Edge
Karl B. :cool:

Munk, the information about the ten dollar membership is down low on the info screen. It's called "Basic Member" and looks like a good deal.

I do have a Christian and Given name but I much prefer my ndn name and prefer to go by it for many reasons but the biggest one is that it is the name I am identified with these days and have been since I've been here, even way back when I was on WebTV..
Most of my friends call me Yvsa and a few of my close family members that I have finally gotten trained.

I have paid my membership fees and encourage everybody to do the same, regardless of whatever decision is made about this forum. It is really such a small amount to ask.

Most people probably see it from a "What's in it for me?" viewpoint, and to be perfectly honest, paying just to have an avatar and sig. line probably isn't worth it and is missing the point.

From my point of view, it's a heckuvalot cheaper than meds and many of us come here for our "daily fix"...to satisfy the craving...

There's much to be learned and shared. How much would you pay to join an exclusive knife club (or gun club) in your area?

At the same time, though, I think requiring members to pay to have to post in this forum is too much to ask. Perhaps there is another way?

The recent trolling is a direct result of people taking advantage of Bill's open-door policy. But we are all to blame for fanning the flames, so-to-speak...

That said, I was real impressed by the fact that no-one replied to that "Hi just want to say" thread started by "eatting your mamma" aka BuraFan.

Back