O'Katz Handmade Parang Lading

Deep condolences Pak.
May Allah gives peace.
Amen! And thank you very much Anton!
It is a fact that 'every soul will taste death' and we who are still very much alive have to proceed on living to the fullest till our time came!

Back to the progress of the making of the Parang Lading, the fixing of the handles were delayed because O'Katz went to a jungle trip for about a week.

10329283_631165266952444_8923908430379730654_n.jpg

Back from the trip O'Katz discussed the fixing of the handles with me and we came to agreement that the handle material is the Meranti wood.
Here are the first two pieces of the Parang Lading.

O'Katz in his email said:
OKatzParangLading1920140509_145552_zpse562c0c2.jpg

.. The first and second completed ..

OKatzParangLading1920140509_145517_zps3c0efd12.jpg

.. I thought the pic I sent you earlier was better ..
mohd

Last edited:
Finally I got the great news from O'Katz!

OKatzParangLading1920140512_231200_zps42d7c0d9.jpg

.. Finally, completed ..

Those are the first batch of O'Katz handmade Parang Ladings!
And so far those are the very first batch of Parang Ladings with long handles and very short ricasso!
FYI the normal Parang Lading has ~ 5" handle and ~ 3" ricasso but these O'Katz handmade Parang Ladings have ~ 7 1/2" handles and ~ 1/2" ricasso!

OKatzParangLading1920140512_173549_zps4956a8f3.jpg

.. A better picture ? ..

I dare to say that these might be a new breed of Parang Lading :)

mohd

.. so fine parangs!!! ..
Lots of thanks for following my thread Sergei :)

Seeing it in picture is just not like seeing it in person with our own eyes, right!
And seeing it in person with our own eyes is just not like fondling it in person with our own hands!
Even fondling it in person with our own hands is just not like experiencing the feel of it in the actual actions!

Huh .. finally I switched on my cute Produa Viva and I took a 180 km ride north to Teluk Intan and I collected my Parang Lading myself!

OKatzParangLading1920140515_125200_zps8fe4c906.jpg

Dayum .. I love this babe very much!

OKatzParangLading1920140515_125600_zps3ad6067b.jpg

Nice length with a flowing handle longer than the normal one and the POB is exactly at the plunge line!

OKatzParangLading1920140515_125500_zps5731421b.jpg

Moderate thickness so that it can be easily maneuvered in hand/s!

OKatzParangLading1920140515_125800_zps13d6143f.jpg

Near zero cutting edge in a saber grind that won't be easily stuck in wood when used for chopping! :p

mohd

.. Reminds me of this: ..
Hi Jay .. lots of thanks for the humor .. it really made me have some repeatedly good chuckles :p
I tell you that if you look at a Sulu Barung or a Sabah Barung or a Peninsular Barung then you might say that it reminds you of this :D

Barong001.JPG

.. Does the handle made from something close to Bornean Ironwood? ..
Hi Anton, how I wish to have that exotic wood for the handle Anton! CMIIAW, the Borneo Ironwood is what we locally called as Belian which is under Eusideroxylon genus. Janka rating for Belian is 3020. It's a real hardwood and it's very hard to get it in Peninsular Malaysia. Actually you can get it in Sarawak, Sabah and Kalimantan. By any chance and if it doesn't trouble you at all, then if you ever came across it during any of your expeditions in Kalteng, kindly cut for me one of the 1" diameter branch say about 40" long and send it to me! Seriously I would love to have it as a walking stick in my daily jogging :)

Actually the handle of those Parang Ladings are just made of Meranti wood which is under Shorea genus. Janka rating for Meranti is just 780. It's hardness is considered as moderate and normally it is used for woodworking such as flooring, paneling, furniture, joinery, moldings, plywood, ternary, carving etc.

Now, one thing that make me very happy with this project is the unplanned decision to creatively fix those Parang Ladings with long handles and it successfully ended up with a great result in terms of function and benefit! Kindly see how I held the handle in two hands grip, single hand front grip and single hand rear grip in the following pictures!

OKatzParangLading1920140515_125300_zps2e2d1b5a.jpg

OKatzParangLading1920140515_125330_zpsb1af0529.jpg

OKatzParangLading1920140515_125400_zps17f92f8a.jpg

BTW, I haven't got any chance to really put my Parang Lading into action yet! Anyhow I was informed that Harun was already setting a plan to do some performance review on it! It would be very nice to have his review posted in here once he had done it :)

mohd

Last edited:
Hi guys sorry because it took me awhile to do the performance review, this is my first review here please be gentle :p

My fishing buddy ask me to join them today, a good opportunity to test out my Parang Lading I said to myself ;) , to get to the fishing spot we need to travel through palm oil plantation, and during that I use it to cut palm leaves that obstruct our path with one swing :D

The long handle is very convenient because it offer different gripping position and the length is perfect for heavy duty task..

Few more cutting along the way...

Found this old stump and tried few hit on it..the inner is real tough :eek: I was planning to cut it into half but have to cancel it after my fishing buddy give me the evil eye because I was making so much noise and it might scare all the fish

I actually didn't do any fishing at all :p busy chopping around with my new toy :rolleyes:

after getting back from the trip the blade is still paper slicing sharp.. just like the day I bring it home from OKatz, EDGE retention FTW!!

To sum it out I :love_heart: my parang lading :love_heart:

ps: on our way back, while my friends are busy packing thing up at the car.. I chop down a small tree.. and I have to hold it with my hand and ask my buddy to move the car away because in the excitement I forgot to check that it'll fall toward the car ...ahaahaha :D
:cool:

Last edited:
Hi Anton, how I wish to have that exotic wood for the handle Anton! CMIIAW, the Borneo Ironwood is what we locally called as Belian which is under Eusideroxylon genus. Janka rating for Belian is 3020. It's a real hardwood and it's very hard to get it in Peninsular Malaysia. Actually you can get it in Sarawak, Sabah and Kalimantan. By any chance and if it doesn't trouble you at all, then if you ever came across it during any of your expeditions in Kalteng, kindly cut for me one of the 1" diameter branch say about 40" long and send it to me! Seriously I would love to have it as a walking stick in my daily jogging :)
G'night Pak Mohd.
Few months ago i had two cylindrical Bornean Ironwood which fit your dimension. But i am not happy with the finishing. I asked a person to make it smoother, and i asked one of it to be cut into two pieces. Unfortunately, he cut all of it. :(
Very disappointed since it is getting harder to look for Bornean Ironwood.
The Govt only allowed the indigenous on use and cut it, others not allowed.
We are not allowed to ship to other islands in raw material.
I would not have any chance in the next 3.5 years to look for this wood.
I am not promising but i will try.
But, it is very heavy.

Mohd, I just found this thread. I love it...is O'Katz making more, I would love one.

I did not know kayu belian was that scarce. Weren't houses made of those? what about using teak/parquet as handles? those must be pretty common to get?

Hi guys sorry because it took me awhile to do the performance review, this is my first review here please be gentle :p

My fishing buddy ask me to join them today, a good opportunity to test out my Parang Lading I said to myself ;) , to get to the fishing spot we need to travel through palm oil plantation, and during that I use it to cut palm leaves that obstruct our path with one swing :D

The long handle is very convenient because it offer different gripping position and the length is perfect for heavy duty task..

Few more cutting along the way...

Found this old stump and tried few hit on it..the inner is real tough :eek: I was planning to cut it into half but have to cancel it after my fishing buddy give me the evil eye because I was making so much noise and it might scare all the fish

I actually didn't do any fishing at all :p busy chopping around with my new toy :rolleyes:

after getting back from the trip the blade is still paper slicing sharp.. just like the day I bring it home from OKatz, EDGE retention FTW!!

To sum it out I :love_heart: my parang lading :love_heart:

ps: on our way back, while my friends are busy packing thing up at the car.. I chop down a small tree.. and I have to hold it with my hand and ask my buddy to move the car away because in the excitement I forgot to check that it'll fall toward the car ...ahaahaha :D
:cool:

Thanks Harun for the mini review! It got me excited to do one of my own. Cheers bro! :)

IMVHO you'll be surprised when you see the finished knife Nik!
It's a keeper Nik!
mohd

I finally came around to getting my Lading, man that was quite a wait but worth it! Yes I agree Pak Mohd, this Lading is a keeper for sure!

Some pictures:

2 Different holding positions:

I also got the opportunity to score a sweet Parang Candong/Candung at the same time:

In the hand:

Side by side with a Traditional Candong:

Just for fun I decided to put a side by side pic of O'Katz Barong Semenanjung alongside a North Borneo(Sabah) Barong: :)

Now on to the review in the next post...

Since I acquired 2 O'Katz Parangs at the same time I decided to do a short review of them, so here it is:

O'Katz Parang Lading vs O'Katz Parang Candong Short Review...

So I found a nice quiet secluded spot and decided to do some tests on the parangs.

Found a dead tree, it was bone dry and pretty hard looking. Candong went first...

Did a couple of strikes...

Lading went next with similar amount of strikes...

Top cut is from the Candong and the bottom is the from the Lading: (I noticed the Lading "chewed and spat out" more wood chips compared to the Candong.)

More strikes from the Lading:

Candong's turn next:

Outcome:

Some photos:

My opinion:
I felt the Lading was a joy to handle. It spat out larger chunks of wood with ease, no sticking.
The Candong felt like it was sticking into the wood and didn't cut as fast as the Lading, but it is still an awesome chopper, don't get me wrong! It cuts deep due to the edge shape and is forward heavy.
BOTH are Impressive indeed!
I just like the handling of the Lading better, that's all. Again this is just my opinion folks! :)

To be continued in next post...

Last edited:
Saw a green branch. Let's see what the parangs can do.

Single strike from Candong:

Single strike from Lading:

Outcome:
Both accomplished cutting the branch with a single strike. Nice!

Now on to something more interesting... BANANA TREE!! MUAHAHA!!

Candong goes first... Am pretty excited!

With a single strike... Banana Tree is... No more!

Alright, it's Lading next:

Whoooah! Also with one strike, Lading does an interesting shaped cut! I laughed when I saw the outcome, see for yourself!

Outcome: Both are winners of the single cut Banana Tree test!

Got home and did the paper cut test: Both still sharp and ready for more action.

Some glamour shots:

Hope you folks enjoyed.

Truly the both the Lading and Candong are beautiful and powerful choppers.

Cheers!

Niklos

Mohd, Harun, Nepki... awesome photos all! O'Katz hit a home run on that parang lading.

.. The long handle is very convenient because it offer different gripping position and the length is perfect for heavy duty task ..

.. busy chopping around with my new toy ..

.. after getting back from the trip the blade is still paper slicing sharp.. just like the day I bring it home from OKatz, EDGE retention FTW!!

.. To sum it out I :love_heart: my parang lading :love_heart:

DSCF8069_zps2cb18548.jpg
Thanks for the performance review Harun :thumbup:

.. We are not allowed to ship to other islands in raw material ..

.. I am not promising but i will try ..
No prob Anton!
And please don't do something against the law!

.. I would not have any chance in the next 3.5 years to look for this wood ..
Is that means you won't be in Kalteng during that period?
Are you going to Oz as was previously mentioned in your sms?

Hi Stabber, thanks for the nice words!

.. is O'Katz making more, I would love one ..
Hi James, I'll let O'Katz know about it!

.. I did not know kayu belian was that scarce ..
Yup, it's scarce especially in Peninsular Malaysia!

.. Yes I agree Pak Mohd, this Lading is a keeper for sure! ..
Thank you Nik!
And thank you very much for showing your Duku Candungs and your Barungs in here!

8c14eedada9f631047cb7040cd0576af_zpsae40df70.jpg

.. I felt the Lading was a joy to handle. It spat out larger chunks of wood with ease, no sticking.
The Candong felt like it was sticking into the wood and didn't cut as fast as the Lading ..
Nik, it's because of the flatter grind on the Candung and the saber grind on the Lading.

.. With a single strike... Banana Tree is... No more! ..

1025280447f11b82e23993d833c45f8a_zps0251d61f.jpg

.. with one strike, Lading does an interesting shaped cut!..

2a211c6a08b66adbce454fd85237c34c_zpsd27184d6.jpg
It's confirmed that the flatter grind came out with a straight cut through the banana stem as shown in the first picture while the saber grind resulted with the sort of a refracted cut through the banana stem as shown in the second picture.
CMIIAW .. but I'm not very sure about the grind on the Candung .. is it a full flat grind or is it a very mild convex grind, Nik?

.. Some glamour shots ..

dad7f2efd5f5cd461bbf8db9435293c3_zpsd2de7279.jpg
Yup .. I recognised it as yours .. it has the best curve down handle in the batch!

And thank you very much for the comparative performance review of the Lading vs Candung, Nik!

.. O'Katz hit a home run on that parang lading ..
Hi Phil, you're right pal!

BTW, I think Harun already has a very nice sheath for his Lading which was made by Nadir.
And it would be great if Harun could post the pictures of the rigs in here :love_heart:

mohd

Thank you Nik!
And thank you very much for showing your Duku Candungs and your Barungs in here!

Nik, it's because of the flatter grind on the Candung and the saber grind on the Lading.

It's confirmed that the flatter grind came out with a straight cut through the banana stem as shown in the first picture while the saber grind resulted with the sort of a refracted cut through the banana stem as shown in the second picture.
CMIIAW .. but I'm not very sure about the grind on the Candung .. is it a full flat grind or is it a very mild convex grind, Nik?

Yup .. I recognised it as yours .. it has the best curve down handle in the batch!

And thank you very much for the comparative performance review of the Lading vs Candung, Nik!

BTW, I think Harun already has a very nice sheath for his Lading which was made by Nadir.
And it would be great if Harun could post the pictures of the rigs in here :love_heart:

mohd

You are welcome and thank you Pak Mohd, Harun and of course O'Katz for realizing this Parang Lading. I am very impressed with indeed!

The grind of the Candung looks like it's leaning more towards a flat grind, here's some photos...

20140626_144621_zps0rrlcbop.jpg

20140626_144708_zpsogngrgvu.jpg

I really love Nadir's kydex sheaths, his workmanship is outstanding! But I couldn't wait (postage etc) so I did my own "quick and dirty" DIY kydex sheaths for the Lading and Candung...

20140626_144425_zpsdh0juc71.jpg

Cheers!

Nik

Guys I'm soo getting one myself! What do you think if I asked O'Katz to put a small guard just after the handle to avoid accidental slipping onto edge?

I don't really post much nowadays but this is such a excellent thread ;)

Guys I'm soo getting one myself! What do you think if I asked O'Katz to put a small guard just after the handle to avoid accidental slipping onto edge?

I don't really post much nowadays but this is such a excellent thread ;)

I think that could work Kenny.. Something like this?

5481a65342539cb10476ca17be5dd74a_zpse30a70c0.jpg

Miss hanging out with you guys la... Need to make a trip to Penang someday.. :)

Back