Old Cold Steel Ads

I added to my magazine collection a good bit last year, and I've been trying to set aside some time to update this thread for a while now. Ken Hash's recent contributions in some other threads have inspired me to get in gear.

All of this post's ads come from Soldier of Fortune magazines. As you peruse them, remember that Soldier of Fortune had an advertising policy that required ad submission at least four months prior to publication. So these ads were created, at a minimum, four months before the issue in which they appear.

The first is from the August 1981 issue, and it's the oldest Cold Steel ad I've ever seen. As far as I can tell, it's Cold Steel's first time advertising in Soldier of Fortune (though my inventory is far from complete) or any other magazine that I'm aware of.

IMG-8568.jpg

IMG-8572.jpg

IMG-8574.jpg

Note the Urban Skinner's slightly different blade and handle shape, its entirely unique sheath, and its smooth handle construction. The completely different blade shape of the Urban Pal was a total shock to me, as was its singular card case pocket sheath (despite the fact that I knew Cold Steel supplied a similar sheath with later models, I was surprised to discover that this was the first version offered). I'm almost certain that the knives depicted in this ad were handmade/hand-ground models by custom knife maker Jim Merritt.

These next two are from October 1982.

First we have a friendly looking Lynn, displaying his Urban Stroll.

IMG-1923.jpg

And then we have a no-nonsense Lynn, brandishing an updated configuration of the Urban Skinner.

IMG-1924.jpg

These next three are from January 1983. Note the callout of a new manufacturer in all three ads.

This was the first Cold Steel ad that I remember seeing as a kid. It drew me to the brand immediately.

IMG-1919.jpg

Here we see the Urban Pal as we've come to know it. This is the only image I've seen with the knife's name printed in that spot on the handle.

IMG-1918.jpg

And we have the Urban Skinner ad again, but this time with different copy. You can see better in this ad than in the 1982 version that it contains the only picture I've observed of an Urban Skinner with the name printed on the blade.

IMG-1921.jpg

As a study in contrasts, I have to include this early Spyderco ad, which appeared on the same page with one of the Cold Steel ads.

IMG-1920.jpg

While Sal Glesser never shied away from the notion of his knives being used as weapons, it took him many years to acknowledge it. And I would argue that Spyderco, as a brand, didn't embrace the concept until Michael Janich was hired and added his Martial Blade Craft approach and designs to the company's lineup.

But with Cold Steel, Lynn Thompson came out swinging. He unapologetically wanted the world to know that he was making weapons--functional, capable, tough weapons that could give his customers a combative edge.

I'm not trying to churn up a debate here (and no disrespect to Sal Glesser or Spyderco intended), but I laugh when people in the tactical community try to compare Spyderco with Cold Steel. Whom are they attempting to fool? Cold Steel was selling fighting knives and other weapons back when Spyderco's catalog consisted of a pocket knife and sharpening stones. (Actually, the evidence leads me to believe that the Urban Pal and the Urban Skinner may have predated the first Worker. So Cold Steel might have been selling knives before Spyderco even offered one.)

Next up, we have a Tanto ad from December 1984.

IMG-1926.jpg

Note the specifications. The callout of 425 stainless leads me to believe that this was the brief period when Buck was manufacturing the Tanto for Cold Steel.

These three are from October 1985.

The Outdoorsman was already in production.

IMG-1928.jpg

A new Tanto ad.

IMG-1929.jpg

And another ad for the Urban Skinner, sans any printing on the blade.

IMG-1930.jpg

Finally, two from January 1986.

The famous Tanto-through-a-car-door-without-damage advertisement. Bear in mind that this ad was created in 1985, two years before the first Proof video.

IMG-1932.jpg

An early endorsement from Dan Inosanto. He's been a Cold Steel advocate for many, many years.

IMG-1933.jpg

I hope that you got as much education and entertainment from these old Cold Steel ads as I did! There are more to come, from later years. Lynn Thompson had a good relationship with Soldier of Fortune throughout the magazine's existence. I'll post them as I'm able.

-Steve

Some additional fascinating ads from my Soldier of Fortune archives.

December 1987, introducing the Trail Master. You'll notice that this is another photo of an unmarked blade (presumably hand made by Joe Cordova), but with the Trail Master logo added to the picture.

IMG-2030.jpg

A truly amazing Special Projects cover ad from August 1991. Here you will see the introduction of the remarkably rare SRX and G.I. Commando models, as well as the Recon Scout and the Intruder Bowie.

IMG-2022.jpg

A two-page Christmas ad from January 1992, introducing the ReadyEdge, the new Mini Pal, the UltraLock with Thumb-Glide opening, and the first iteration of the Hai Hocho.

IMG-2010.jpg

IMG-2013.jpg

A March 1993 full-page Master Hunter ad.

IMG-2009.jpg

An undeniably Cold Steel approach to selling readers on the merits of the Laredo Bowie in December 2005.

IMG-2008.jpg

-Steve

Great to see the SRX in print...thanks for sharing! And now I know why I was very unimpressed with the GI Commando I had bought many years ago and resold...was meant to be a cheapy.

Two questions. What is the knife in the center of the "Knives For Life" ad? Looks like some sort of clip point with a curved tip. On the bottom of the order form there is Streetwise by Lynn C. Thompson, was it a book of some sort?
Wish I knew. The 3 longest blades on the cover are unfamiliar to me, especially the curved one in the middle. And no idea about Streetwise.

Two questions. What is the knife in the center of the "Knives For Life" ad? Looks like some sort of clip point with a curved tip. On the bottom of the order form there is Streetwise by Lynn C. Thompson, was it a book of some sort?

Wish I knew. The 3 longest blades on the cover are unfamiliar to me, especially the curved one in the middle. And no idea about Streetwise.

Years ago (right around 1983-84), Lynn did an interview with SOF that he was putting together a knife fighting book, and to look for it. I bet "Streetwise" was indeed that book.

Tiny bit more -

A piece of March of 1983 Pistolero magazine -

http://atomiclabrat.com/Engeldrum, Phil- Magazines/Pistolero 3-1983 pp 47-79.pdf

Go to page 26 and it has a a version of the 1983 catalog that mentions two books - "Streetwise", and "A Personal and Family Protection Manual" by L T. They also reference the Skeleton, which was a super skeletonized version of the Shiv. The total Cold Steel catalog and Knife fighting article runs pages 18 - 26.

Pistolero might be an untapped source for Cold Steel stuff, Lynn was their knife guy, and a major advertiser.

This guy posted a few - http://atomiclabrat.com/Handgun Tests Magazine.htm .

Tiny bit more -

A piece of March of 1983 Pistolero magazine -

http://atomiclabrat.com/Engeldrum, Phil- Magazines/Pistolero 3-1983 pp 47-79.pdf

Go to page 26 and it has a a version of the 1983 catalog that mentions two books - "Streetwise", and "A Personal and Family Protection Manual" by L T. They also reference the Skeleton, which was a super skeletonized version of the Shiv. The total Cold Steel catalog and Knife fighting article runs pages 18 - 26.

Pistolero might be an untapped source for Cold Steel stuff, Lynn was their knife guy, and a major advertiser.

This guy posted a few - http://atomiclabrat.com/Handgun Tests Magazine.htm .

Absolutely a fantastic find, tltt! Thank you for sharing those links!

So the knife that I displayed in post #49 of my Rare Gems thread, and believed to be an Urban Shiv prototype, was, in fact, The Skeleton--a model that previously I never knew existed. Amazing information!

It was very interesting to discover that Lynn was working on a second book, too. For what little it may be worth, in my inquiry to Lynn back in 2020, I asked him about both Streetwise! and the clip-point fixed blade on that old catalog cover. Unfortunately, I never received a reply, and Lynn wasn't at Blade Show 2021 to ask in person. But that's OK. We'll piece together Cold Steel's history, with or without Cold Steel's help!

-Steve

Y’all are amazing for sharing these gems. Thank you so much gents! Please keep ‘em coming.
I’m loving the pics of Mr Thompson with the Urban Stroll, and just in general reading the ads I see he has never changed a bit. He’s certainly a marketing genius. Does anyone know if he built these high quality connections through networking with his study of martial arts, or if he maybe grew up with some of the makers that he used?
It seems rather obvious that he knew how to find the proper people for the job. It’s really interesting to me and I’ll have to check more out on the history stickies. Happy Thanksgiving all.

Does anyone know if he built these high quality connections through networking with his study of martial arts, or if he maybe grew up with some of the makers that he used?

No, Lynn Thompson grew up the son of missionaries in Brazil. Like many of us, he was simply a knife guy and a martial arts guy ever since he was a kid. After breaking two "combat knives" in one training session, he decided that he would set out to make knives that would work and perform, particularly in a combative role, and Cold Steel was born.

As for Lynn's industry connections, based on interviews and articles that I've read, he formed his business the old fashioned way, reading everything he could get his hands on, meeting people and developing relationships, and collecting and using knives to determine what worked and what didn't. From what I gather, he wasn't handed any opportunities; he made them.

and just in general reading the ads I see he has never changed a bit. He’s certainly a marketing genius.

I've seen a lot of people on these boards comment on Lynn's marketing savvy. I agree that many of the ads were clever, and they certainly were targeting a certain type of person. But I've always had the impression that they were really just an expression of Lynn's personality and his approach to life in general. I don't think he was putting on a public persona just to sell his wares. With Lynn, what you see is what you get--without varnish or apologies--which I believe is why the Cold Steel advertising and videos have been so consistent over the decades.

It's also why I believe that GSM Cold Steel (GSMCS) ultimately will lose its way, fall off the rails, and collapse. Lynn Thompson was the heart and soul of Cold Steel. Without him, GSMCS will be just another Schrade or United, selling cheap junk to teenagers.

-Steve

P.S. - To illustrate my point, here is GSMCS's full-page ad in the Spring 2022 issue of Blade. Contrast this with any ad in this thread and try to convince me that GSMCS has inherited the Cold Steel spirit.

IMG-2743.jpg

No, Lynn Thompson grew up the son of missionaries in Brazil. Like many of us, he was simply a knife guy and a martial arts guy ever since he was a kid. After breaking two "combat knives" in one training session, he decided that he would set out to make knives that would work and perform, particularly in a combative role, and Cold Steel was born.

As for Lynn's industry connections, based on interviews and articles that I've read, he formed his business the old fashioned way, reading everything he could get his hands on, meeting people and developing relationships, and collecting and using knives to determine what worked and what didn't. From what I gather, he wasn't handed any opportunities; he made them.

I've seen a lot of people on these boards comment on Lynn's marketing savvy. I agree that many of the ads were clever, and they certainly were targeting a certain type of person. But I've always had the impression that they were really just an expression of Lynn's personality and his approach to life in general. I don't think he was putting on a public persona just to sell his wares. With Lynn, what you see is what you get--without varnish or apologies--which I believe is why the Cold Steel advertising and videos have been so consistent over the decades.

It's also why I believe that GSM Cold Steel (GSMCS) ultimately will lose its way, fall off the rails, and collapse. Lynn Thompson was the heart and soul of Cold Steel. Without him, GSMCS will be just another Schrade or United, selling cheap junk to teenagers.

-Steve

P.S. - To illustrate my point, here is GSMCS's full-page ad in the Spring 2022 issue of Blade. Contrast this with any ad in this thread and try to convince me that GSMCS has inherited the Cold Steel spirit.

IMG-2743.jpg
He was a true knife guy, so many of his creations came from his collection.

From the pages of old Knives Illustrated magazines, some fun new additions for the thread.

An ad introducing the Safe Keepers in the June 1996 issue.

IMG-3541.jpg

A Cutlery Shoppe ad introducing the original Magnum Tanto, in both stainless and San Mai III, in the Spring 1991 issue.

IMG-3543.jpg

A Winter 1992 ad introducing the Recon Scout and contrasting it with the Gryphon M30A1.

IMG-3539.jpg

This February 1997 ad about the Vaquero Grande is especially humorous due to its placement. Presumably coincidentally, it ran directly above the introductory ad for Emerson Knives, Inc., which touted its new Ravens' "superior cutting edges."

IMG-3537.jpg

And finally, proof that Cold Steel's Web site has been wrong for many years in claiming that the first catalog shown in the archives is from 1988. Note the magazine date below the ad. That brochure actually dates to 1986.

IMG-3545.jpg

-Steve

Back