Old Friends Friday

Boris and Douglas are old friends.

YYn7Ueb.jpg

And this Buck has been with me since 1988. I carried it on my wedding day.

EqnIArw.jpg

My deceased father's Marbles hunting knife. Early 1950's vintage. Note the Bakelite pommel. The original sheath had long since given up the ghost so I made him a new one. The knife need a refresh so I restored it. Sharp enough to shave with!:D I don't carry it any longer so it's just a keep sake. My dad really loved it... and I do too.:thumbsup:
IMG_2416.JPG

1973, maybe 1974. It's about time the sheath saw some neat's foot oil.
joTOMVW.jpg

I'd have given my eye-teeth for a Buck knife in the 70's! :D :cool: :thumbsup:

My deceased father's Marbles hunting knife. Early 1950's vintage. Note the Bakelite pommel. The original sheath had long since given up the ghost so I made him a new one. The knife need a refresh so I restored it. Sharp enough to shave with!:D I don't carry it any longer so it's just a keep sake. My dad really loved it... and I do too.:thumbsup:
View attachment 1487312

It's beautiful Bill :thumbsup:

Carrying this one today, one of my most solid users, but I haven't carried it in a while. Knives of this type were made in Sheffield after WW2, and sold in the shops on British Army bases, run by the NAAFI. This one was made by Needham Brothers, and like my Old Friend last week, it was gifted to me by Duncan @Campbellclanman :) :thumbsup:

wOrvCDS.jpg

veMoYnL.jpg

Very nice Needham Jack! It reminded me of this wonderful cattle knife made by Pal between 1945-1953. A bit on the heavy side but extremely well built. Quality cutlery like this will certainly become a long term survivor in the future. For now it makes for a fine Old Friend.
iEMJk7J.jpg

edit; found a pic that shows all three blades
vPdHmlT.jpg

sparerow

Last edited:
View attachment 1487312
I remember my Dad always having an old Marbles fixed blade but his was so beat up I remember he had hex head nut capping the handle instead of the original pommel :D When I first started "gathering" knives, I looked for a good original Marbles fixed blade to honor my Dad and I found this old Woodcraft in great shape :thumbsup: Happy Friday everyone! This is the way...

MARBWC-1A.JPG

Back