"Old Knives"

Here is a knife with some signs of age; W. Bingham Co, Cleveland. ~1841-1948, this company lasted over 100 years!! People could have worked there all their lives!!
Closed just after the end of WWII.
At 3 1/4" I tend to call a wider knife like this a Double-End Jack, rather than a Pen!!
Steel bolsters, both blades marked, indicate an earlier knife, at least closer to WW1 give or take - could be before the War. I wonder if the steel bolsters gave/gives it some strength, because it is very firm to open - I had to use a knife pic!!! Yet it's smooth. Too bad somebody put it away wet!! Nice dark-brewed Jigged bone!! Heh!!Bingham Ulster 1.jpgBingham Ulster 2.jpgBingham 2.jpg

I've found a new little collecting niche: ink eraser knives. They are interesting tools and an economical way to find some very old tang stamps.
eQd8iSo.jpg

I bought one that says: Wards Eraser, and when it got here, I noticed below that: S.W.C.C.

The only thing that comes to mind is Schrade Walden Cutlery Co, but I've never seen that particular marking. Anyone have any ideas?

QhWnZPn.jpg

I've got a Joseph Rodgers that tracking says is stuck somewhere between Houston and Austin for four days now. 😡
If it ever gets here, I plan to start a dedicated ink eraser thread. They qualify as traditional fixed blades, right?

I've found a new little collecting niche: ink eraser knives. They are interesting tools and an economical way to find some very old tang stamps.
eQd8iSo.jpg

I bought one that says: Wards Eraser, and when it got here, I noticed below that: S.W.C.C.

The only thing that comes to mind is Schrade Walden Cutlery Co, but I've never seen that particular marking. Anyone have any ideas?

QhWnZPn.jpg

I've got a Joseph Rodgers that tracking says is stuck somewhere between Houston and Austin for four days now. 😡
If it ever gets here, I plan to start a dedicated ink eraser thread. They qualify as traditional fixed blades, right?

Rachell I'm quite certain those erasers were way before Schrade Walden's time as they didn't come into existence until 1947. There was at least one Wards Celebrated Cutlery from the 1800's though. Not sure where the "S" comes in, although in that case it might be a first name. Very cool start to the collection, that Crookes is awesome!!

Eric

Rachell I'm quite certain those erasers were way before Schrade Walden's time as they didn't come into existence until 1947. There was at least one Wards Celebrated Cutlery from the 1800's though. Not sure where the "S" comes in, although in that case it might be a first name. Very cool start to the collection, that Crookes is awesome!!

Eric

Oops! My brain was stuck in the wrong century, assuming I was looking for what cutler might have made these for Montgomery Ward. ☺️
Thanks, Eric!

How can one go wrong with a Robeson with some of the nicest Jig work a Knife company has produced?( nearly...nearly nearly nearly ), I could imagine that if you found a fossilized piece of Rock that had hoof prints from a stampeding heard of Animals- That's what you get when you look at this Knife!
In a collection- its a gorgeous looking Knife, as a user-it's a beautiful user- it really is, Robeson are WAY up there when it comes to Quality that lasts!
Nice pick up my friend, the reason I don't pick these up anymore is because I simply have far too many Knives that I can place into my EDC Rotation now anyway, and that's kinda sad.

This Remington UMC at 3”5/8s and one my favourite jacks, I needed a real user with some life left in the blades. This new arrival is slightly thicker, rounder and not as well finished. The shield just jumps out of the handle!! The brass liners being the only difference in production. Still snappy a bit of blade play yet fits the bill nicely.
2B1BC0DA-DDEE-4768-923B-0C4969958110.jpeg488DBAE3-71D1-400C-96A1-F1E6C8962797.jpeg11CA8D7B-8910-4877-AE6F-CD8E5104CF52.jpeg

eQd8iSo.jpg

QhWnZPn.jpg

I look forward to your (maybe pending?) thread on ink erasers, Rachel!
Here is one, probably not as old as your two, but made for Canada when ink pens were still used I assume!!Ink Eraser1.jpgInk Eraser2.jpgInk Eraser4.jpg

Back