"Old Knives"

This pair of unknown makers always catch my eye when I open the bottom drawer.

Herrick hardware
Waco-Tex
I like the obscure contract hardware Co knives. Steel liners on this one.

VNegz47.jpeg
n31jJDH.jpeg

Rauh cutlery co
New york
8LwX3Rg.jpeg

Vw69pEM.jpeg
Just amazing knives, Rob!! I like how the sheepfoot is shaped for the teardrop handle pattern, on the Herrick!! Makes me think of an NYK!! Wonderful old Pickbone on both!! The second knife looks like Schrade work, but could be too early for them!!

I have to agree with all our friends, those two are beauties Rob! Stunning Bone on both, Charlie I wondered Schrade as well on the big Boy- Blade Shape, Swedge work and the Pick Bone - but wasnt 100% on that.

Love that Teardrop as well my friend! Just Great!

Real knice Rob… real knice!!
That Herrick hdwe teardrop is interesting, the smooth bone by the bolsters is unique and the pile side picking is of masterclass status!
The Rauh Cut co is just sooo New Yawrk :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the show !

Rob, two awesome jacks there, for sure! Pre WWI I expect. Who do you think made them?
Jeff, the Herrick is a mystery to me, the stepped down bone is a clue. I'm leaning toward Schrade on the Rauh, it feels like a Schrade Cut co when handling it and looks it too. Thanks, Jeff:thumbsup:
Just amazing knives, Rob!! I like how the sheepfoot is shaped for the teardrop handle pattern, on the Herrick!! Makes me think of an NYK!! Wonderful old Pickbone on both!! The second knife looks like Schrade work, but could be too early for them!!
The shield on the Herrick looks NYK too but that was a common shield in those days, the stepped down bone throws me off. Now the Rauh looks to have Schrade DNA and the quality of Schrade is there. Rauh has steel pins and brass liners so that's different. Here's a couple of comparison shots of shield and bone on a Schrade Cut Co jack which is the same size (3.5") and enroute to me, I'll compare the 2 in hand once it arrives.
Thanks, Charlie:thumbsup:
iomw3zU.jpeg

Absolutely gorgeous!
Appreciate the compliment, Rachel :thumbsup:
You could just about pass that off as a Lambsfoot.o_O:)
When I got this knife several years ago I thought about posting it in the lambsfoot thread for opinions but thought better of it, my good friend Jack may have smacked me around for such an infraction! :)
I have to agree with all our friends, those two are beauties Rob! Stunning Bone on both, Charlie I wondered Schrade as well on the big Boy- Blade Shape, Swedge work and the Pick Bone - but wasnt 100% on that.

Love that Teardrop as well my friend! Just Great!
Similar bone, swedge and shield, did Schrade use steel pins? It's crocus polish on both sides and we see that on certain models by Schrade.
Thanks, Duncan :thumbsup:
Real knice Rob… real knice!!
That Herrick hdwe teardrop is interesting, the smooth bone by the bolsters is unique and the pile side picking is of masterclass status!
The Rauh Cut co is just sooo New Yawrk :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the show !
Thanks Gus:thumbsup: the bone on the Herrick is stepped down at the bolster. Reminds me of Remington but I don't believe they did contract work.
Two beauties, Rob.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks Dan, I appreciate the compliment :thumbsup:

When I got this knife several years ago I thought about posting it in the lambsfoot thread for opinions but thought better of it, my good friend Jack may have smacked me around for such an infraction! :)
😅😅😅😅😅😅 I understand completely, but it would qualify as a Lambsfoot blade compared to a lot of blades that are purported to be such.:thumbsup::).

Thanks Gus:thumbsup: the bone on the Herrick is stepped down at the bolster. Reminds me of Remington but I don't believe they did contract work.
Many cutleries finished their bolsters with the knife in a horizontal position, sometimes leaving the bone square at the bolsters, and sometimes cutting a shoulder in the bone.
GEC for instance finishes their bolsters vertically, making that nice flush finish. Cutleries converted to the vertical system around the turn of the century ca.1900 give or take.
Horizontal finishing at top, vertical at bottom!!
Horiz vs Vert 1.jpg!!

Many cutleries finished their bolsters with the knife in a horizontal position, sometimes leaving the bone square at the bolsters, and sometimes cutting a shoulder in the bone.
GEC for instance finishes their bolsters vertically, making that nice flush finish. Cutleries converted to the vertical system around the turn of the century ca.1900 give or take.
Horizontal finishing at top, vertical at bottom!!
View attachment 1684217
Ah, I wasn't aware of that, Charlie, I learned something as I do everyday :thumbsup: Thanks for the pictures along with your explanation :thumbsup:
I hate we only got to see a fourth of the Miller Brothers ;)

I asked this question in the Barlow thread but didn't get any responses. Does anyone know who was the first company to put Barlow on the bolster of a Barlow and when ?

I asked this question in the Barlow thread but didn't get any responses. Does anyone know who was the first company to put Barlow on the bolster of a Barlow and when ?
It's pretty common among older Barlows - good question!!?? 🤔

Back