"Old Knives"

I bought this knife off Ebay last week.

This is a very rare pattern and it is the only Terrier marked example I have ever seen or know of.

The simplest name for this would be “horseman’s knife”, but it has a Prest-O-lite square key for turning on and off the acetylene supply to early gas powered carriage and automobile lamps.

Some have described these as “carriage knives”. I have no idea.

Most of the Robeson ones I’ve seen, including internet photos, have had these pressure-molded black composition handles, but I have seen a bone handled one before.

There is a nickel-silver escutcheon shield.

I could not download the auction photos. In them the blades were covered in a brown/yellow material that I thought might be cosmoline.

It was and came off with nail polish remover and elbow grease.

Master spear appears short and might be, but most of the ones I’ve seen also had short blades and there doesn’t appear to be much room in the well for it to be significantly longer.

The awl is stamped:

PAT. APR.
25:05

The master and hoof hook are stamped:

TERRIER
CUTLERY
ROCHESTER, N.Y.

The short screwdriver is stamped:

PATENT (arched)
APP FOR

The last one of these, a Robeson with composition handles, offered to me at Dalton, Georgia, was priced at $550.00. It was just a bit more nice.

1910 to 1916.

I’m super pumped to have gotten this.

I bought this knife off Ebay last week.

This is a very rare pattern and it is the only Terrier marked example I have ever seen or know of.

The simplest name for this would be “horseman’s knife”, but it has a Prest-O-lite square key for turning on and off the acetylene supply to early gas powered carriage and automobile lamps.

Some have described these as “carriage knives”. I have no idea.

Most of the Robeson ones I’ve seen, including internet photos, have had these pressure-molded black composition handles, but I have seen a bone handled one before.

There is a nickel-silver escutcheon shield.

I could not download the auction photos. In them the blades were covered in a brown/yellow material that I thought might be cosmoline.

It was and came off with nail polish remover and elbow grease.

Master spear appears short and might be, but most of the ones I’ve seen also had short blades and there doesn’t appear to be much room in the well for it to be significantly longer.

The awl is stamped:

PAT. APR.
25:05

The master and hoof hook are stamped:

TERRIER
CUTLERY
ROCHESTER, N.Y.

The short screwdriver is stamped:

PATENT (arched)
APP FOR

The last one of these, a Robeson with composition handles, offered to me at Dalton, Georgia, was priced at $550.00. It was just a bit more nice.

1910 to 1916.

I’m super pumped to have gotten this.

Charlie what an amazing knife, congrats on the acquisition! First time I've seen one. I love that it has two patented implements right on the same knife, you don't see that very often! Here are the Ebay pics:

Terrier knife.jpg

Terrier Knife 2.jpg

Eric

Thank you, Charlie.

I haven't posted in quite some time, I pretty much quit when I lost the ability to post photos, but I have visited and read and remarked occasionally.
Me too Charlie, glad you got that one. I checked on the FJs you alerted me about, but they are hard to buy now😊.👍
Using a hosting site probably means lost pictures again, but it's no fun collecting alone. AAPK is having problems now, I sure hope their archives are not lost like here.
The loss of the Golden Age Sheffields and many other pictures broke my heart.

Last edited:
Back